a little "catch-up" on me...

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Just thought I'd share a couple of things.

Been staying busy with both boy's soccer...we're now fully committed to soccer at least 4 days a week. DS1 had a big win (I know it's not about winning and losing, it's about fun, but winning is a heck of a lot more fun than losing)it was against the other club in town (and a member club of the league they play in) and they won 5-1, so they were pretty excited. This is a team that played well, but always just cam up short last fall. They're 3-2 so far this spring, with a 3 day win streak going. Pretty proud.

DS2 has little guy soccer on Wed and thur (With two different leagues) and the weather has made is difficult to get their games in, hopefully thee next 4 or 5 weeks will be better.

DS1 had a piano recital Sunday and then played his recital piece for a school talent show on Monday. Apparently he played it the best he ever has in front of his friends, so that was cool. His school music teacher thought he's been playing 2 years, and he's only been in lessons for 9 months. A friend who's been taking lessons for just over 2 years forgot his music, so he asked for DS1's book, saying "I'll just pick something out of your book and play it." Well, he took a look and said he couldn't play anything in that book without practicing it first, so that was a source of pride for DS.

I started dieting and working out again yesterday...those who've been around here, know that announcement all too well...all I can say is I'm trying again...I know I've failed before, and it doesn't make sense why I can't stay motivated, I just have a really hard time (like a lot of people i guess...) So, if anybody else is dieting/exercising ro trying to change habits, let me know and we can post a support thread for each other...

I'm doing a study, starting tomorrow too. It's for the National Advance Driving Simulator. It's a study on drowsy driving...ought to be interesting.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Sounds like soccer has taken over the house and I hear you about weather, we got 2 inches of snow a few days ago, it melted by that afternoon but it was still a shocker.

Good luck with the diet and working out, it's so hard to change our habits!

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
He's a soccer dad now! Haha. Sounds like they are doing really great! And its so nice to keep the kids active, its just so good for them. I'm hoping to get Eli started up in something to keep him active sometime after he turns 4, although I'm not sure what. They don't do a whole lot around here lol, but I'm sure I'll find him something. Congratulations on the wins! I bet he's really proud of himself. :) I wish I could have heard him play the piano, I love piano music. Such a wonderful hobby. I played as a kid, but stopped at some point and never went back unfortunately and I don't remember it anymore. I wish I would have kept doing it (it wasn't really my choice though).

Good luck with the diet and excersize! You can do it! I'll be right there with ya in a couple of months here. We will turn ourselves into super models! :D

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Xero said:
He's a soccer dad now! Haha.
Yeah, i used to have the attitude that soccer was okay until you could play football, now I'm hooked on the game, prob more than the kids...well, ds2 is pretty finatical for a 4yo...

Xero said:
although I'm not sure what. They don't do a whole lot around here lol, but I'm sure I'll find him something.
You may have to look harder for 4 yo stuff, there should be soccer, t-ball (although I really don't like al the standing around in t-ball, but it's a good intro to being part of a team), maybe karate? swimming? gymnastics? Sometimes you have to go looking for it, it's not always as easy to find as you'd think

Xero said:
I wish I could have heard him play the piano,
He played "Candle in the Wind" Mom's a big Elton John fan...so he wanted to do it for mom.

Xero said:
I played as a kid, but stopped at some point and never went back unfortunately and I don't remember it anymore. I wish I would have kept doing it
You can pick it up again easy - a good way is to learn along with your child, like if you put Eli into lessons at some point....I challenge myself to play his accompaniments, so I've regained some lost piano skills. I keep hoping he stays playing. I told him the ability to sit down at a piano and play something more interesting than chopsticks is a great ice-breaker. Sit down and play and people (esp girls ;-) ) will come to you and start talking to you. I was too stupid to see the potential there when I took lessons.

Xero said:
Good luck with the diet and excersize! You can do it! I'll be right there with ya in a couple of months here. We will turn ourselves into super models! :D
I'm just gross, I feel gross and stupid, like I'm putting my health in danger, I get so mad at myself. Eating out for lunch, and snacking late at night are my biggest problems. I refuse to by bigger pants and I'm at least 20 lbs away from being down into a smaller size. Oh well, I'm just goning to try to do a little better everyday. I didn't gain it overnight, I'm not going to lose it that way either.

sbattisti

PF Fanatic
Jun 14, 2010
IADad,

Totally with you on all of this.

I coach my son's travel soccer team (he's 10), so we're all soccer, all the time. I played growing up, and I adore the sport. To me, for kids, it's SOOOO much better than many of the alternatives, because they all RUN and are all INVOLVED. I love the sport of baseball, but I loathe it for young kids. Too much standing around.

Meanwhile:

IADad said:
I'm just gross, I feel gross and stupid, like I'm putting my health in danger, I get so mad at myself. Eating out for lunch, and snacking late at night are my biggest problems. I refuse to by bigger pants and I'm at least 20 lbs away from being down into a smaller size. Oh well, I'm just goning to try to do a little better everyday. I didn't gain it overnight, I'm not going to lose it that way either.
Totally with you on this. I'm trying to get the motivation to start turning things around again, but I TOTALLY understand the getting mad at yourself thing. It's tough to beat those self-hating behaviors. No one would look at me and say "Gee, Steve, you're way overweight." I carry it pretty well. But I definitely need to lose 20 lbs, and I can't stand looking at myself naked right now. :p But, I'm my worst critic!!

I'm all for a support thread! Good luck!

~Steve

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
sbattisti said:
IADad,

Totally with you on all of this.

I coach my son's travel soccer team (he's 10), so we're all soccer, all the time. I played growing up, and I adore the sport. To me, for kids, it's SOOOO much better than many of the alternatives, because they all RUN and are all INVOLVED. I love the sport of baseball, but I loathe it for young kids. Too much standing around.

Meanwhile:

Totally with you on this. I'm trying to get the motivation to start turning things around again, but I TOTALLY understand the getting mad at yourself thing. It's tough to beat those self-hating behaviors. No one would look at me and say "Gee, Steve, you're way overweight." I carry it pretty well. But I definitely need to lose 20 lbs, and I can't stand looking at myself naked right now. :p But, I'm my worst critic!!

I'm all for a support thread! Good luck!

~Steve
Yeah, my son plays on a U9 club team right now, they don't really travel much until U11, and then it's mostly within the state. It's really fun seeing how much they improve just over the span of a couple weeks.

I know what you mean about carrying it well, mines all up front, so from the front or back I don't look bad but catch me sideways and I'm sure people say "Damn, is that man pregnant?" I need to lose 20 just to tink about dropping a pants size. I really need to drop 60 to be a picture of good health/have a BMI that's not "overweight." So, little bit at a time. I made a bad choice (chinese" at lunch, so I'm going to try to be good tonight, and it's off for my run at soccer practice tonight.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
oh and Steve, who do you support? have an MLS/EPL/Serie A etc. team?

I follow SportingKC and Everton.

sbattisti

PF Fanatic
Jun 14, 2010
IADad said:
oh and Steve, who do you support? have an MLS/EPL/Serie A etc. team?

I follow SportingKC and Everton.
Well, being in Philly, we enjoy supporting the new Union team. Apart from that, I don't follow the international scene a ton, but I have friends in Germany, so I kinda like teams like St. Pauli and Hamburg in the Bundeslige...

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
I really love that your son picked a song for mom :) That is just so awesome. Sounds like you all are really enjoying soccer!!

What kind of exercising are you doing? I am not a huge fan of 'working out' myself. I guess I am pretty fortunate because my weight isn't an issue. I walk around a ton, and I think that really helps. But where I live, it would be hard to not walk around a lot. I guess I am getting exercise without 'working out' which makes it easier. Although, I did have the unfortunate opportunity to see my naked back side while staying at a hotel last week. I need some serious work back there!!!! Can't even tell you the last time I saw myself in a full length mirror. And I can tell you one thing for sure, even if you wear a size 2, that sure as hell doesn't mean you look good!!!!!!

I'd love to hear more about this study you are involved in. Are you an organizer of the study or a participant?

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Lol I'm not one to exactly go to the gym and bust my butt or anything, I think I just plan to do a lot of walking and staying active with the kids - just a bunch of random stuff. :) But as much as possible, and as little as possible of sitting on my butt at home haha.

IADad said:
You may have to look harder for 4 yo stuff, there should be soccer, t-ball (although I really don't like al the standing around in t-ball, but it's a good intro to being part of a team), maybe karate? swimming? gymnastics? Sometimes you have to go looking for it, it's not always as easy to find as you'd think
Yeah I kind of had that feeling. Its a little more difficult before they're in elementary school I think, and 4 year olds aren't always easy to teach how to play organized sports lol. I do know that our local YMCA does a couple of different programs for kids his age (I think they actually have a soccer one too for that matter, maybe) and I am also hoping to be exposed to more options once he starts preschool. I figure they'll be pretty likely to advertise that kind of thing. :)

IADad said:
He played "Candle in the Wind" Mom's a big Elton John fan...so he wanted to do it for mom.
OMG that is so friggin adorable. D; I would have cried. Did she cry?

IADad said:
You can pick it up again easy - a good way is to learn along with your child, like if you put Eli into lessons at some point....I challenge myself to play his accompaniments, so I've regained some lost piano skills. I keep hoping he stays playing. I told him the ability to sit down at a piano and play something more interesting than chopsticks is a great ice-breaker. Sit down and play and people (esp girls ;-) ) will come to you and start talking to you. I was too stupid to see the potential there when I took lessons.
I TOTALLY agree. There is nothing more sophisticated and romantic than a man who can play the piano. ;) I'd like to re-learn some, and have thought about getting back into it actually, but so far I just haven't had the right amount of time and energy. You never know what the future holds though!

IADad said:
Well I'm not going to talk about how much I need to lose until after I have the baby, because I just don't think its fair!! LOL But even before I got pregnant I felt kind of the same way, just gross and stupid. :/ I had/have the same problems as you too, its SO hard not to just pick some kind of fast food up while I'm on lunch at work during the day (I work on a street that is incredibly populated with businesses and restaurants, so I can get pretty much anything just by walking out the door lol) and DH and I both snack at night too much. I have really been working on eating healthier though, trying to take out a lot of the junk from my diet and adding in stuff like healthy cereals, fruits and vegetables for snacks, and water instead of juice or pop etc. I think it has really started helping me feel better already (even though I still can't resist fast food sometimes haha, but it has been a lot LESS!).

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
sbattisti said:
Well, being in Philly, we enjoy supporting the new Union team. Apart from that, I don't follow the international scene a ton, but I have friends in Germany, so I kinda like teams like St. Pauli and Hamburg in the Bundeslige...
last year was reallythe start of my fandom of the sport, so I thought I'd pick a team to follow. I actually picked the Union, because they were kinda underdog's last year (I didn't want to jump on the Landon Donovan/LA Galaxy bandwagon, of BIG red bulls etc.) and because they seem to have a pretty good fan base. But it was hard to follow them, so I thought I'd pick a team closer to home. I hate all things sports in Chicago, so the Fire was out, I hate all things Ohio, so Columbus was out which left me with KC and with a new hot deginated player and hot young recruit and a new stadium, and I liked the new team name (wizards always seemed kinda lame, part of why I didn't pick them last year.) I thouhgt it was a perfect choice...hasn't been a stellar start. And I follow Everton because of Tim Howard (and the same didn't want to jump on the Man U/Chelsea/Arsenal/Liverpool bandwagon...)

Looks like we'll face each other 6/22 and 9/23, we'll have to talk some smack.

Oh, and both boys had practice last night. DS1 had a stellar night, his preseence on the feild was hugely different after having watched older boys play. I was pumped and he stayed for 2 1.2 hours of practices (with optionaal sessions...)a great night.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
stjohnjulie said:
I really love that your son picked a song for mom :) That is just so awesome. Sounds like you all are really enjoying soccer!!

What kind of exercising are you doing? I am not a huge fan of 'working out' myself. I guess I am pretty fortunate because my weight isn't an issue. I walk around a ton, and I think that really helps. But where I live, it would be hard to not walk around a lot. I guess I am getting exercise without 'working out' which makes it easier. Although, I did have the unfortunate opportunity to see my naked back side while staying at a hotel last week. I need some serious work back there!!!! Can't even tell you the last time I saw myself in a full length mirror. And I can tell you one thing for sure, even if you wear a size 2, that sure as hell doesn't mean you look good!!!!!!

I'd love to hear more about this study you are involved in. Are you an organizer of the study or a participant?
I'm walking/running. Last night I logged 3.1 miles. DS1 and I will run 5ks in the fall. I also need to get back to doing wii fit yoga and balance stuff, maybe alternate days. The more I learn the more I understand how important core strength is to both overall health and seeing the effect. I also try to kick around the balls with the boys, just a half hour of soccer kick, you really feel in the abs.

I'm sure a size 2 can't possibly look very bad no matter how lax...I wore a 29x 36 in jeans when I met DW...Now I'm struggleing to stay in 40 X 32 s(not quite sure how my legs got shorter in the process.;)) Now, I don't know that I really want to get back to a 29 again, but I'd love to rock some 32s someday. Beware, younguns, metabilism is an evil enemy. I swear the day I turned 30 mine shifted into reverse and all the bad eating habit went racing to my gut. So, getting active and cutting snacking and portion control are my main strategies.

THE STUDY - I work across the street from the Nation Advance Driving Simulator, NADS at the University of Iowa so I volunteered for a study they are conducting on drowsy driving. I'm not really sure who sponsored the study. So, I drove in the simulator (for this study, a chevy malibu, with no wheels mounted in the simulator with 3D imaging shot all around me) and I drove just to get used to how it feels etc and I was hooked up to an EEG all the while. Then I'll go back for a 30 mintue drive during the day in June and an overnight series of drives where I have to stay up all night and drive at various intervals and they'll observe how my driving changes, along with tracking my eye movement and whatever they track in my brain (good luck there) Just one of the cool things about living in a community with a research university.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Xero said:
Yeah I kind of had that feeling. Its a little more difficult before they're in elementary school I think, and 4 year olds aren't always easy to teach how to play organized sports lol. I do know that our local YMCA does a couple of different programs for kids his age (I think they actually have a soccer one too for that matter, maybe) and I am also hoping to be exposed to more options once he starts preschool. I figure they'll be pretty likely to advertise that kind of thing. :)
Yeah, watch out, they don't always advertise that stuff as much as you'd think, you kinda have to go looking for it at least that's my experience. You'd think they'd have lists of new parents that everybody would be trying to solitic your kid, but that hasn't been what I've found.

Xero said:
OMG that is so friggin adorable. D; I would have cried. Did she cry?
Well, no, I don't think so, A) she's not really a teary kind of person and B) she's been hearing it for the last month as he worked on it, but she was/is full of pride over the accomplishment.

Xero said:
I TOTALLY agree. There is nothing more sophisticated and romantic than a man who can play the piano. ;) I'd like to re-learn some, and have thought about getting back into it actually, but so far I just haven't had the right amount of time and energy. You never know what the future holds though!
...that, and actually having a piano...

Xero said:
Well I'm not going to talk about how much I need to lose until after I have the baby, because I just don't think its fair!! ... ... I have really been working on eating healthier though, trying to take out a lot of the junk from my diet and adding in stuff like healthy cereals, fruits and vegetables for snacks, and water instead of juice or pop etc. I think it has really started helping me feel better already (even though I still can't resist fast food sometimes haha, but it has been a lot LESS!).
Yeah, you're job is to be healfully gaining weight, go that little one! But eating right now may help you stay in better habits after the birth...

sbattisti

PF Fanatic
Jun 14, 2010
I can't tell you how fun it has been to watch as my son's team gets better and better. Watching them when they start to "get" certain concepts is sooo rewarding.

Here's a video of my son's team:

<YOUTUBE id="OOZaNY5mtzU" url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOZaNY5mtzU">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOZaNY5mtzU</YOUTUBE>

This is actually already more than a year old, but I NEVER get tired of this clip, because in it they do SOOO many things right that we'd been working on:

1. We worked with them on not overplaying challenges - very common for kids to make one attempt at a ball and then run past it. The video starts out with Charlie fighting for a ball and winning it.

2. We'd talked with them about giving the person with the ball options, and a teammate makes a run to Charlie's left.

3. We talked to them about not running AT the person with the ball, and instead running to the open space, and Mike (my son) does just that, going to the net.

4. We talked especially to Charlie, the ball-carrier, about passing, and specifically not passing to the player, but putting the ball in a place where you can run onto it. He does that perfectly.

And, of course, the video is glorious because:

a) It was the game-winning goal (altho' we didn't know it at the time) against a team that hadn't lost in over a year!

b) my son, who usually plays defense, scored the goal!

c) I LOVE the kid on the other team who makes the universal "SHUCKS" symbol right after we score, and then I love the little hug my son gives Charlie back at midfield!

I swear, I can watch this video a billion times and never get tired of it.

OK, I'll stop rambling!! :D

~Steve

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
that is a sweet video. tthat pass to your son was a seet one and I love how hit hit it in stride and really gave it a strong finish...it is like a textbook video. Very Cool.

My son had 3 games Saturday, they dropped one and won two. The first one was a hard fought game that we could have won, had we not fallen down so much on transitioning back to defense, the second game was essentially a rematch of the first, with some different personel for both teams, that was a really fun game with both teams fighting hard and lot's of unselfish play. I know what you mean, our boys have been working lots on passing into space and di it well that game. The last game was pretty same, against essentially a developmental team, the poor kids struggled, the coach had to tell the keeper what to do with each ball and they didn't even really understand how to kick off. We moved a lot of players around trying to give people opporunities to play other positions and still won it 10-0.

It was interesting to see also, you play the same 6v6 game we do. A colleague was telling me he see's 9-10 yos playing full sided games in florida and I was thinking that the 6v6 format was a USYS standard. He thinks the kids aren't learning the "real game" this way. I think a full feild 11 v 11 would leave some kids out, they don't have the leg stength to really make long ariel pass, I just think this game is so much better for them and a lot of fun to watch.

sbattisti

PF Fanatic
Jun 14, 2010
IADad said:
It was interesting to see also, you play the same 6v6 game we do. A colleague was telling me he see's 9-10 yos playing full sided games in florida and I was thinking that the 6v6 format was a USYS standard. He thinks the kids aren't learning the "real game" this way. I think a full feild 11 v 11 would leave some kids out, they don't have the leg stength to really make long ariel pass, I just think this game is so much better for them and a lot of fun to watch.
Oh, I'm a HUGE proponent of the "small-sided games." (We play 8v8 outdoor.) I just really agree that at this age, you want the kids to touch the ball as much as possible, and 11-v-11 doesn't do that. Kids can "hide" in 11-v-11 very easily.

I really don't think playing small-sided games hurts players in understanding the bigger game. Obviously, there are SOME differences. But the truth is, in both 8x8 and 11v11 we're playing with forwards, midfielders, and backs. It's the same thing, just in 11v11 there are a few more players out there.

Our big problem right now is that we're a tiny club, surrounded by two monster clubs. One of our best players (and far and away our best goalie) is trying out for one of the monster clubs, because his parents are very gung-ho, and they feel that that will give him a "leg up." Not much we can do if they accept him. We'll lose our best goalie, which will really screw up our team. :( Nothing to do but sit and wait to hear their decision!

~s

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
sbattisti said:
Our big problem right now is that we're a tiny club, surrounded by two monster clubs. One of our best players (and far and away our best goalie) is trying out for one of the monster clubs, because his parents are very gung-ho, and they feel that that will give him a "leg up." Not much we can do if they accept him. We'll lose our best goalie, which will really screw up our team. :( Nothing to do but sit and wait to hear their decision!

~s

We have similar club issues, we're a relatively small community (a metro area of about 100,000, of which 30k are college students, so it's really like a city of 70,000 for a base of families) and we have 2 competitive clubs and a recreational league. So, I think the talent is spread too thin for either clubs well-being and as a relative newcomer, the differences in "philosophy" that split the club to begin with are so negligible, I'd think they could get over it and re-unify (sort of a peanut butter in my chocolate/chocolate in my peanut butter kinda thing.)

Here we that tryouts in June (but only for U11 and up) and then an "offer day" and you get your offeres that day and have to accept one that day or your spot goes to someone else. so, in theory you can't jump from one team to another except through open tryout during that period...but you know how that stuff goes. Our guys move up to playing 8 v8 at U11.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
well, I haven't exactly sped the pounds, but I am still walking/running at least a couple times a week.

DS1 wone an award at his club banquet yesterday. It's the endeavor award. Basically a "most improved player" kind of award. So he got one of two awrds gien out among a 12 member team. He was please and we're proud.