A parent's dilemma...

Patrick

Jul 22, 2011
Minnesota
Dear all,
The last few days have been really hectic. What was supposed to be the happiest day of my brother's life has turned into chaos, and I'm partially to blame.
My brother, Brandon, is marrying this Indian girl, and she has insisted on a no-kid policy at their wedding. A lot of people in town want to bring their kids to the occation, and there has been a lot of talk.
Personally I don't go anywhere without my kids and they know that. I am both his brother and his best mate, so I cannot really not be at the wedding. I've tried to find a baby sitter, but have not found one yet that I feel is appropriate to the kids and usually my wife and I share the task.
I'm considering simply bringing all the children and just seeing what's happening. The wedding is tomorrow, Sunday, and I really need some advice as soon as possible!
I think my kids are too young to be left alone, but I really want to go to Brandon's wedding. What should I do? If I bring my kids, others will surely do the same, or talk about double-standards... I want this to be a happy day for everyone.
- Patrick

ResponsibleDad

Jul 24, 2011
Madison, Wisconsin
Hi Patrick,
If your brother and his wife does not want any kids in there wedding, I think that is something you and everyone else who are going to the wedding ought to respect. Finding a baby sitter does not have to constitute a challenging task: I know you want someone that are good to your children, but if it is only for one night one does not have to be too critical: it could be an older kid, or one of them college kids. Just get a baby sitter and your problem will be solved!
I understand that you worry about this, and the "no kid" weddings create a lot of tensions and new problems. With this babysitter-approach, the kids stay safe and you qdults can have a good time!
- Matthew

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Your kids are old enough to spend a few hours alone at home..why would a 16 and 15 year old need a sitter?

It is their wedding and it is their rules, if they don't want children there then you need to respect that.