A Pillow...

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I know that babies are supposed to lay right on the mattress and everything for a long time, but I was wondering how old before it's okay to give them a pillow? Eli is about to turn a year on Monday, when can he have a pillow in his bed? And how do you show them what it's for? Just wondering how you guys went through that, and when you gave them one, and what's good and all that. It's not a big deal, but I was curious.

Sirk

Your Forum Mom
Apr 1, 2008
I think I gave both my girls a pillow at 3-ish when they were in a toddler bed. Small kids roll around so much I don't think there's a point to giving them a pillow.

chars24

PF Regular
May 27, 2008
My daughter moves around in the bed while sleeping so much that there is no use of giving her a pillow. We make her sleep in her cotbed in one direction and wake up to see her in the other direction. I have put bumpers securely though. So i would say that it depends on your babies sleeping habits. If she is sleeping at the same position throughout the night, then you can give her a pillow maybe...just what i think...

Nikita

PF Fanatic
Jun 10, 2008
London, ON
My son didn't have a pillow until this past Christmas (about 2.5 yrs) when we finally switched him from crib to toddler bed. He doesn't really need it as he still moves around so much during the night. He'll start off in one direction and wake up in the opposite the next morning.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Hm... that makes sense. I'll probably just give him a pillow when I switch him to a toddler bed with new toddler bedding and everything. Thanks for the insight. :)

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
My kids all had one around 11 months, when they could roll around on their own. They used them , they just dragged them all around the bed with them. My 2 year old has to have 2 pillows to sleep on, but they are the older ones we have and flat. As to using it, just put it in the bed and lay them on it, it really nice to have them using it especially when they are sick.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Aw... and they would lay on them and everything? Should I get a flatter one for him to start with? I've been wondering this question mostly because every time Eli sees a pillow or a cushion, or there's on on the floor or something, he'll put his bottle in his mouth and lay his head on it. It's like he already knows! And because of this, I've been wondering if he wants a pillow in his own bed to lay his head on.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
I start with the flatter ones, only because then thier little necks aren't pushed at a funny angle. My son does the same as yours with pillows, he'll tell me pillows and bankie please, which usually means he is tired. They see us use pillows so it doesn't take them long to figure out that they are comfortable! He sounds ready.

1dayatatime

PF Addict
Oct 3, 2007
AZ
We gave Bubba a pillow a little before he was one. He doesn't move much when he sleeps. I use a pretty flat pillow and lay him on it from maybe mid back up. So his half on half off.