Abuse In Schools Widespread, Report FindsExclusive: GAO Says Misuse Of Restraints.......

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
<SIZE size="125">Abuse In Schools Widespread, Report Finds</SIZE>

<SIZE size="125">Exclusive: GAO Says Misuse Of Restraints, Seclusion, Other Tactics Has Even Proven Fatal</SIZE>

A new federal study, released exclusively to CBS News, reveals hundreds of cases of abuse of students at the hands of school officials -- and even deaths.

The report, done by the Government Accountability Office, finds incidents of abuse of restraints and seclusion, among other forms of mistreatment, in public and private schools alike, all across the country, says CBS News correspondent Nancy Cordes.

A congressional panel has scheduled a hearing about the findings for Tuesday, and child advocates are calling for better laws to protect students.

Students such as Cedric Napoleon and Paige Gaydos.

Paige's mother, Ann Gaydos, is slated to testify Tuesday at the hearing to be held by the House Education and Labor Committee about the abuse Paige allegedly suffered on multiple occasions in school in Cupertino, Calif. when Paige, who has Asperger Syndrome, was seven. She's now 15 and the family has moved to Monument, Colo.

Cedric's foster mother had no idea the Killeen, Texas eighth grader's teacher was physically restraining him when he acted up. Until, Cordes says, the day it led to Cedric's death.

"She took him down and sat on him," a tearful Toni Price told Cordes, "and straddled him. And uh... the autopsy report said that they had never seen anything like that except in a car crash, because she crushed his chest."

The GAO probe finds hundreds of cases of alleged abuse and death in schools over the past 20 years, Cordes says -- everything from carpet burns from being dragged to a seclusion room, to bruises from being pinned to the ground. Many of the victims were, like Cedric, children with disabilities.

"Seclusion and restraint should only be used in an emergency situation," says Deborah Ziegler of the Council for Exceptional Children.

And the tactics are used more often than parents might think, Cordes points out. In the 2007-2008 school year alone, the Texas public school system reported 18,741 cases of children being restrained.

Laws vary from state-to-state, Cordes, says, and about half the states have no laws at all.

Ann Gaydos, with Paige sitting at her side, told Early Show co-anchor Julie Chen about the restraint and other physical abuse she says her daughter suffered culminating, Gaydos said, with a teacher taking Paige into an empty classroom, lifting her by her wrists and an ankle and slamming Paige headfirst into the ground. Paige was, Gaydos said, "quite seriously hurt" with very bad bruises on her shoulder and head, and with skin forced off a shoulder.

Gaydos says she'll tell Congress Tuesday she wants "far better oversight of school districts, perhaps some third-party oversight. The districts can't police themselves. I hope for stricter laws regarding these restraints, and better whistleblower protections. The whistleblower (in Paige's case) was driven out of the district."

Abuse In Schools Widespread, Federal Report And Study Finds - cbs11tv.com

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
In the UK restraining a student is illegal, I work at a special school so being attacked by a pupil is quite common when they become frustrated, you just had to try to calm them down as best you can, if you can't then another teacher in the class has to get the police in. Which is never very nice, but sometimes you can't avoid it.

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
i don't know......
but it is a possibility in the texas youth corrections ?facilities?......

scary as hell if any of it is true.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Oh I missed this thread. o.o

Yeah that is messed up!! Seriously! How horrible. How do you just crush a kid's chest? Or throw them into the ground? Like WWE or something? That's just so crazy.

I can see children with certain disabilities being difficult to handle, but this type of behavior is never necessary or their parents would have killed them a long time ago. :/ You know? However I feel like if I had a child with such severe disabilites to the point that they had outbreaks that had potential to hurt somebody, I have to say that I would keep them at home to ensure their safety and the safety of any kids at school. Because with some kids, SOME kind of action must be taken by somebody when they have their outbursts and I wouldn't want to take any chances on my kid getting hurt or the risk of somebody taking it too far for my liking. It's hard to explain. But I don't see why a lot of these kids aren't homeschooled or something similar. That's all.