Adhd......

Lynette

PF Enthusiast
Feb 6, 2009
Switzerland
I have some questions to those who have a ADHD kid:

At what age was your kid diagnosed with ADHD?

Did you have a suspect before the diagnose or did it hit you out of the blue?

Is your kid taking medicaments?

Who is paying the medicament?

Does your kid get any kind of therapy? Which?

Who is paying for the therapy?

My son was diagnosed when he was six and a half years old. We went to a children's hospital where they made a series of standardized test which altoghether took more than three hours. By the time we went there the diagnosis was a confirmation of our suspects and a great relief at the same time. It gave a reason to my son's behavior and I knew then that it was not the fault of my education skills:(

My DS has now Concerta and it works very well. As ADHD is considered a birth defect, the mandatory national insurance for the disabled pays for the drug, for further doctor's visits and eventual therapies in connection with the disease. As my son has some motorical problems he goes to a psycho-motoric-therapy. The focus is on balance, grafomotorics and concentration. The school is paying for this therapy.

I am asking all these questions because I need some reassurence about how ADHD is dealt with in the US and because I wonder about the financial consequences it has there. I read my DH's company's medical plan yesterday and it seems that ADHD and its therapies (or therapies in general) are not covered. Of course I'd like my son to continue therapy after a move to the US and I just wonder whether we will have to pay for it by ourselves.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
well I'm guessing it varies by insurance company, but I don't know much about it other than here in the states ADHD is highly over diagnoised. I hope someone else is able to help you. I would also go ahead and put a call into the insurance company and see for sure what is and isn't covered by them

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
yes
yes
Copay 10$
No
No

Please keep in mind that there are laws governing different states and differences in insurance as well as plans. This is only IMO and should be considered the last word.

Insurance makes you jump through a lot of hoops for things determined to me Mental illness. At this point our meds are covered and that is all. That said the meds seem to be accomplishing the desired affect.

I was ADHD as a kid (called hyperactive back then) And was on meds most of my childhood. The MD for DS said and was true for me that most "grow out of it" when varies by the person. I am not aware of any therapy offered here. But when I did a search of the type of therapy you had for your DS the results kept pointing toward Texas. So I would do the search you may be in exactly the right place for that. Keep in mind I live in rural Iowa.

My advise would be two things. First ADHD is pretty common here try and make contacts through your DH work and ask around about the services offered. This is likely going to get better results than talking to ins reps. Talking to INS would be second. Normally a big CO will offer several types of plans again check with DH peers and do your homework. I wish I could be more help but its a lot of "smoke and mirrors" . Just do what you are doing here with people who are familiar with the state and your INS.

Lynette

PF Enthusiast
Feb 6, 2009
Switzerland
Thanks for answering, you two:)

bssage, thanks for your tips. I'll do what you recommend as soon as it is 100% sure that we'll move.