Advice on my 19 year old niece....

JessicaMadison

PF Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2008
I hope this isn't too long or anything. Alright, so I feel so bad for my 19 year old niece, Ashley. It's kind of a long story but I need to help her in some way and I need some help. I'm not sure what I can say to her to help her. Alright, so Ashley is my brothers daughter. A little less than two years ago Ashley's mother passed away of cancer. Ashley and her Mom were really close. They were always together and Ashley would never leave her Mom's side. Her Mom did everything for her. She doesn't really get along too well with her Dad but she loves him very much. I can still tell that Ash is really hurting about her Mom. I loved her Mom, everyone did. She was a amazing person. The last few years Ashley has changed a lot. She's grown up a whole lot and learned how to do everything on her own. She's grown into a woman. She's matured a lot. Ashley also has two older sisters from her Mom's first marriage but they are really close. There is actually a 14 year age difference between Ashley and her youngest sister. So you see Julia and Kelly already have their own lives. Julia has 4 kids and Kelly has 2 kids. They consider my brother their father. Anyways heres the real issue. My brother is seeing someone else. He's been seeing this lady for 3 months and they are engaged. Julia and Kelly think that this lady is lying. They think that she wants his money. They think that she thinks he got a lot of money when Ashley's mom passed away. He just got the house they lived in. So now Julia and Kelly refuse to see my brother or let their children see my brother (their Grandpa) My brother won't listen to Julia and Kelly. So he lost them. Poor Ashley is in the middle of all this. She's heartbroken to see her Dad with another woman. It's hard for her. I can't even imagine. Ashley is a good person. She doesn't hate this lady but she doesn't like her either. Her father basically forces her to hang out with his fiancee. My brother's fiancee also has hurt Ashley's feelings in the past. She called Ashley fat apparently and Ashley's not even close to being obese at all. Ashley is really holding on to the house they she lived in with her Mom. She loves that house, it makes her feel close to her Mom. The only nice thing my brother did for Ashley is he just actually GAVE her the house. I guess it got paid off and he transferred it in her name. Then no matter what my brother's fiancee cannot have anything from that house of Ashley's mothers. Ashley never wants this lady to live in her Mom's house. But she said if things don't work out between my brother and his fiancee he can always come back and live with her. It's huge for a 19 year old to own a house. It's a huge responsibility. She's terrified that she won't be able to afford it. She's going to college next September and that's a lot of money to begin with and she has to pay bills now and property taxes. She gets scared alone at night in the house. Her dad is moving out in October and then shes on her own. I'm sorry this is so confusing. It's a lot of things happening to this poor girl. She's a very shy, nice, humble girl. She lets people walk all over her. Her neighbour is now bullying her saying that she won't be able to live there. No one stands up for this poor girl and I feel so bad for her. I'm really close to Ashley. I know that her sisters will help her but I want to help her too. She's really close with my kids Bailey and Hunter. Should I get them to talk to her and ask her how she is doing? Or should I do it directly? What can I say to make her feel better? Am I concerned to much about her? I'm just lost about this. She doesn't deserve this at all. Am I overreacting? Is it as bad as it sounds?

I'm sorry it's so confusing. There is so much drama going around this poor girl. She's a strong kid but I'm just afraid she's going to get depressed. My brother told me she told him 'I wish I was just in heaven with Mom' I'm really scared for her. She doesn't have a job anymore. She has very very low self confidence. There is just so much pressure around her. I don't even think I could handle it.

This is actually really serious to me. Thank you if you read this, I know how long it is. I'm just really concerned for Ashley. Any suggestions/advice anything is appreciated. Do you think it would be nice for her to come stay at my house for a few days? I mean I'm home all day and me and her could just talk?

I forgot to mention she took a little bit of time of high school (a year) because she couldn't be there because she was just so sad about her Mom and she is going back to finish it in February.

Thank you so much!

zeitgeist

PF Fiend
Oct 8, 2008
How big is the house? Has she considered taking in a roommate or two and charging them rent to live there? That kills two birds with one stone: she'll have people in the house with her and she'll be able to pay the bills and taxes.

JessicaMadison

PF Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2008
It has two bedrooms in it. Perfect suggestion, thank you very much. I appreciate it so much. Thanks for taking the time to read it.

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
well, if you're all the time, drop by "just because" when she's there. and just find different things to chat about. ya know--get to know her more in the things she likes and once liked to do wtih her mom, her hobbies. but find any ole excuse to drop by. say you made too much of this or that and thought she might like some and such, but any ole excuse. find something to talk to her about---eventually she might begin to open up to you some and talk about these things she's going through.

you say she's going to college soon: if it's in the area--she could get on their work program, do the classes online, or just go part time while she works to keep/pay for the house if the house is very important to her. she should be able to get pell grants and student loans that she doesn't have to pay back until she finishes get her degree or ceritficate or just stops going for whatever reason.
i agree with zeit too--a couple of renters would help her to make those payments on the utilities and taxes she has each yr. but if she does that--get someone to be there to help her "screen" the applicants....and if she can afford one--- a dog or a pet of somekind would give her comfort and company when she's at the house alone.