Advise needed......

Frank

Mar 18, 2011
Just another post looking for advise. While I've read many discussions here, I've not really participated in them so in a way I feel bad asking for help especially on some issues I feel are very complex but I just really need some others perspective to help me hopefully make the best choice for my family.

I really hate to put this out right off or even have to bring it up at all but it's going to help anyone reading understand better... I'm gay, my husband and I each have a biological son. Both are 9 and live with their biological mothers but visit several times a year. We also have five adopted adopted children. Four boys and a girl, youngest is not quite 2, oldest is 11. All five have lived with us since early 2011, a couple since late 2010. All were adopted from the US foster system and all have varying degrees of emotional and developmental issues. Three have extreme PTSD and attachment issues. All but one suffers with the results of their mothers drinking/using drugs while pregnant though a couple seem more severely effected. One child had a heart transplant last fall and we are dealing with complications of that at this time. Another was so severely abused he is near deaf and blind and can't breathe through his nose or eat on his own.

I'm not complaining about my children. We brought all of them into our home with a true understanding of their issues, needs and likely healing outcomes. We hold on to hope, we do everything within our power to ensure they have the best opportunities to heal and grow. I don't for a second regret bringing them into our life though I often wonder if things are ever going to be "ok" for them and if everything we do is enough though I don't know what more we could do..But I'm not really looking for advise about them, I'm just trying to give a little background before going into what I'm really looking for advice on.

In January of this year, my younger brother Matt chose to end his life, leaving behind my niece 11, and my two nephews 8 and 6.

Matt and I were raised in the Mormon church. After years of personal conflict and what I now consider abuse, I left the church in my early 20's. My family and the church leaders said I wasn't believing or praying enough if I still had homosexual desires. I went to therapy and camps to "cure" myself many times. It came down to accepting myself as I was. My family nor church could never do that, so I made a difficult choice to leave both behind. I went through rough times over it but I got myself together, went to therapy to recover from the scars of that, found the ability to find worth and love for myself. I made a life, with my husband who had a very similar strict religious upbringing in the Baptist church.

We've worked hard to overcome the past pain of our religious upbringings which taught us to hate and be disgusted by our very selves. Both our families have never been able to accept much less tolerate us or treat us in a very civil way. When we adopted the kids, we cut my entire family (minus Matt) out of our lives. They felt our adopted children would be better off with murderers, we couldn't keep that type of negativity in lives at such a difficult time and it was honestly something long overdue.

Fast forward to when my brother Matt ended his life this Jan. Matt's first wife had passed away a few years back, he was about to marry for a second time. He ended his life because he was in fact also attracted to men, didn't want to continue to live a lie, had seen the actions/feelings expressed by family towards me over the years and felt he couldn't live his faith, have the love of his family and be gay. I had no idea he was gay or feeling this way... I'm still working through my feelings over why he didn't come to me but that's another thing, I'm trying to get to the point here.

My brother was very clear in his intentions for his children. He did not want them to be raised by anyone in the family other than myself. He did not want them to grow up hating who he was, which our family would have no doubt taught them to do and are still in fact trying to do.

After much consideration, with the support of my husband, I became the guardian of my niece and two nephews in Feb. We are remodeling our home to accommodate eight, sometimes ten children. We are trying to understand "terms" to relate to each other within the family: are the kids cousins, siblings, our children? It's very trying especially with all we deal with with our other children but we are holding on somehow managing to get all eight of the kids to school/counseling/therapy/medical services and stick to a routine that benefits all the kids. We've worked out moving my niece and nephews across the country and at first allowed them contact with my family (their grandparents, uncles, aunts, cousins).

I was trying to do what was best for my niece and nephews by setting aside the ill feelings and differences with my family to allow them contact as their grieving and transitioning to a new home/state/school. But my family has never wanted anything to do with our adopted kids so it's been a messy situation. In the end, after a spring break visit, where my family proved they couldn't put the children's best interest first and act in an adult way, we decided we had to cut that contact for everyone minus letters/emails that are seen by us first.

Now finally to where I really need some advise. My niece and nephew were being raised very strictly in the Mormon church. At 11, my niece has already been baptized a member of the church since she was 8. My 8 year old nephew was due for his baptism about a week after his father's death but it obviously did not happen and only has recently come up again.

My husband and I have been taking our adopted/bio children to a welcoming church. Our bio kids mother's have made this an issue in the past and we've gone to court with each mother over such issues. We've held many discussions about forcing beliefs and religion upon them as we don't want them to be harmed in ways we were. In a way I feel it's silly we don't have the wisdom to readily and comfortably deal with what we are facing.

When my niece and nephews came to live with us, it was so soon after their father's death and everything to them was "new" so we opted to keep them close to something which may bring them comfort: their church. I found the closest one, explained their situation and my husband or myself has attended with them nearly every week. With everything going on with all the kids we just never discussed whether situation would be temporary or permanent or what. We just quietly attended with them, as we felt the church and it's members were bringing the kids some comfort and normalcy which they needed very much.

In the church, children are baptized at 8 years old, my eight year old nephew is now eagerly asking when he can be baptized. My husband and I aren't sure we want to allow this, but we also want to do what is best for the child, not us...

On one hand, it is something my nephew wants and the church has been a major part of his life, and to take that away from him/his siblings seems quite selfish. Especially when he/they have already experienced such loss and are dealing with so much change/stress on top of their grief.

On the other hand, I don't know if the church will ever fully welcome my niece or nephews... The members are already visibly uncomfortable with us being in their presence, some have gone so far as to tell us we don't belong there and the kids need to be given to a mother and father. If they do my nephews baptism (and I'm not sure they even will) were we to choose that, we don't know if letting them attend the church will put them in the presence of people putting ideas of hatred and hell about their father into their minds (or the impact it will have on them being comfortable being raised by us). Okay, actually <I>we know</I> it will place them around that and for this we are cautious and unsure about it. We don't want to expose them to those kind of beliefs and thoughts about their father/us but we want to do the best thing for them and the church is what they know, what they think they want. I know at 11, 8 and 6 they can't really know what they want in a church, especially when this is all they've been exposed to but they're already dealing with so much, I just want to do the right thing for them but I don't know what to do, at all!

A big part of me wants to keep them away from it at all costs. I fear if we allow them to attend and be members of this church, we'll have to deal with the church, it's members, and everything which I've let be a negative factor in my life for far too long. I know that's mostly the selfish part of me and I'm trying to put them first here and make the choice that in the end will be best for them.... At the same time, I kind of feel I have to consider my personal well being too, as selfish as it is, because if I am brought down by any of this involvement with the church, I'm afraid all of the kids will suffer if I'm not in the best place mentally/emotionally to be strong and care for them. And then there is the whole issue I've also had to think about what if one of these three kids are homosexual, and I'm putting them in the place of the same kind of pain and abuse I endured by letting them be members of this church?

Frank

Mar 18, 2011
Last but not least I really wonder if I should just let the kids be raised by someone else in the family? Or perhaps outside of the family altogether? I don't want to abandon them (hate that term but it's what it would feel) nor go against my brother's wishes, yes, but he made the choice to put them in this place and I'm trying to clean it up/help them and I just want to do the right thing for them and wonder if being raised within the church they know, by family or even someone else, that won't conflict with it may in fact be better for them at this point? Obviously I wouldn't up and send them off as they're adjusting and grieving and it would be too much but long term if it's better for them, I would want that eventually..

I know it's a complicated situation and I probably have not really explained things well, but if anyone can offer any advise at all I would appreciate it. Thank you.

Last edited:

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
Hi Frank

Welcome to the board, my name is Nancy and I have a 20 yr old son.

Wow, you sure have a lot on your plate. Fist of all I'd like to commend you and your husband for adopting so many children who need love and a good set of parents like you both are.

I can't imagine anyone abusing a child and for you to welcome children into your heart and home who have gone through that type of torment in their short lives,makes you really special in my opinion.

I'm really sorry for the loss of your brother, that is truly a sad story, so sorry for him that he thought the best and only thing he could do was end his life instead of living as his true self. Too bad.

As far of his children go, I couldn't think of any parents who would be better than you and your partner. You seem to be extremely considerate of them and very loving for taking care of so many children.

Of course there is a lot to consider as you've pointed out, but I think that in the long run those kids will turn out normal and better adjusted by living with people who love them, and can teach them to be accepting of everyone and just live happy lives.

You already know what it's like to live among the Mormons so you must know how it will end up for them, I think you have an opportunity to 'save' them so to speak, and your brother knew that.

It's a big responsibility and probably will cause a lot of friction among the church and family but if you feel it's the right thing than you'll find the strength to go foward and stand your ground. The kids will adjust, and will appreciate your honesty later as time goes on.

Good luck to you and everyone involved. Keep us posted.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Here is my little bit.

I am not going to go into my opinion of the Mormon church. Suffice it to say that a lot of organizations choose things in order to exclude others. Whether it be race sexual orientation ect. At thier base most religions teach some simple moral truths. I.E. lying, stealing, cheating. I think the parts of religion I don't like occur with more advanced congregation. So I guess at 9 probably not a huge deal. But at the same time I think a 9 yr old should be able to grasp some of the tolerance issues you have with the church.

I would maybe have Saturdays be adventure days. When you go to different churches in your community just to check them out and have an adventure. Talk aloud about what you like and dislike about the churches you visit. Some around here have very cool youth centers and very active youth membership.

About keeping together. I really think you and your partner are the only ones who can decide. I would be afraid of adding to the guilt associated with these type of decisions. Ultimately you two have to live with whatever you decide. Both choices are tuff and both have the potential to make you second guess yourself. I also think both are Nobel. You are choosing between fulfilling a commitment that resources both current and future may be unknown's or sacrificing your own wants to provide a more stable environment.

I would not like to be a part of making a hard decision any harder.

BabyAngel

PF Fanatic
Feb 6, 2012
Deux-Montagnes, Quebec, Canada
Hi Frank,

I'm guessing a judge had to make you guardian of your niece and nephews right ? If so, seems obvious to me that the judge did so thinking the children were best with you. So that takes care of that.

As for the religion thing, well, not a religious person here so my opinion of course goes along those lines. I would never force any baptisms or anything similar to a kid that is not of the age of fully understanding the implications and have an enlightened decision about it.

Sorry for your loss (your brother), and I have to say I'm quite impressed by the fact that you are taking care of so many childre...wow, very impressive !

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
I guess I forgot to mention the impending baptism. Its an event that's really a non-event in my mind. I mean its not like they put a tattoo on them or it has any legal significance. Well maybe the Mormons IDK. I think I would just roll with the punches on that. If they change thier minds later in life it not as though they cant change their religion because they were baptized.

Frank

Mar 18, 2011
Thank you all for your time and responses.

Nancy, my husband has said pretty much the same things. It's true I have the opportunity to "save" them from the church and it is what my brother's last words indicated he wanted. In a way I'm angry at him for putting me/his children in this place but I know I can't let anger decide the path I lead his children. When I took on the responsibility of caring for them, I took it on knowing it would come with the stress of dealing with some hard issues such has dealing with my family again. I didn't imagine at the time it would extend into religion and the church but that's probably because I was just trying to get by minute to minute dealing with my brother's death, my kids and family issues.

bssage, I like the idea of Saturday adventure days and want to talk that over with my husband as we move forward here. We aren't making any overnight decisions and I think this really may be helpful to at least introduce the children to other churches and open the communication with less pressure for them.

As for the baptism itself, we have thought about letting it go forward for Colby. But our main issue with it is it puts the child on the church records and it took me five years to get my own personal information removed from these records. For five years I dealt with members of the church invading my life... knocking on my door, emailing, calling, sending mail and none of it was welcomed. I had asked to be removed/not contacted but it kept on even with countless letters and calls informing them to remove my information because I no longer wished to be associated with the church. Sure it's easy to ignore much of that, but I had members several times a year "dropping by" to "check" on me and convince me I was in need of repenting/a cure/prayer and should come back to church and "find happiness." My niece is already in their records, unfortunately but hopefully they won't relate her new home to those records and we can keep a clear line of privacy of where she lives. If my nephew is baptized they will get a hold of our contact info and invade our lives. I don't like that idea and yes I'll admit that's selfish. That's the part I hate, I don't want to be selfish about any of this and I'm having a difficult time being truly unselfish and seeing the situation without the presence/resentment/fear of all the pain I've been through with this church.

My other issue with the baptism is the preparation for it involves readiness/understanding interviews with a church leader who takes the child alone, behind closed doors, and questions them over "purity" issues (masturbation, sex, etc) which I don't feel is appropriate especially at 8 years old. My experience with this interview for baptism at 8 years old still makes me sick to recall. With this my husband has suggested however, if we do let him be baptized we ask for the door to be open and us to remain outside of it while this interview is conducted.

BabyAngel, Yes, with a slight fight from a few family members, the judge gave me guardianship. We were recommended based on the many things we could provide the children while my family used my sexuality making me unfit to take them rather than on what they could provide for them. I really don't feel comfortable sending the children to live with any of my family because I know they will be taught to hate their father. I don't like that idea, at all, which is the main reason we took them in the first place. I had to deny them the chance to attend their father's funeral because my family was threatening to say negative things to the children about their father if we attended. I just want to protect the children from the negative beliefs about their father, and if they stay with us, us... I wouldn't want them to feel uncomfortable living with us because of such issues of conflicts in beliefs.

I think we will wait a bit longer to decide what to do but I so appreciate the input each of you have given me, thank you!

Last edited:

BabyAngel

PF Fanatic
Feb 6, 2012
Deux-Montagnes, Quebec, Canada
Frank said:
(...) I had to deny them the chance to attend their father's funeral because my family was threatening to say negative things to the children about their father if we attended.(...)
That is absolutely horrible that they would do that... I cannot imagine people with so much hatred that they would do that on a day like this... sad, sad world !

Frank

Mar 18, 2011
BabyAngel said:
That is absolutely horrible that they would do that... I cannot imagine people with so much hatred that they would do that on a day like this... sad, sad world !
I don't disagree that it was horrible, <I>it was</I>... but to be honest I don't think my family members see their actions as coming from hatred but just the opposite! It's twisted in a way because that's the only way I see it... but I think they truly believe they are acting the way they have out of "love." They just couldn't pass on the chance to tell the children the "truth" about their father in order to prevent them from following in his foot steps. We went round and round about it, I begged them to drop it for that day but they said dropping it would be "accepting it" (twisted logic but that's my family:rolleyes:) and in the circumstances they could never because they felt homosexuality destroyed the children's father and they had to know the truth immediately. They don't realize (or will never admit) their acts of "love" lead to his self destruction. Have to say my version of love is nothing like theirs, and I'm proud of that!

parentastic

PF Fiend
Jul 22, 2011
Canada
Frank, here in Quebec, we have a (few) really good, open minded and progressive priest who are not against homosexuality and who are not trying to change people.

One of my best friend, who is a Lesbian, took a lot of time to search for a gay-friendly priest and found this guy in one of the church in the suburb, and she specifically chose that man for her father's funerals.
Another set of straight friends of mine found an open-minded priest, also in the region here, who allowed them to marry each other in his church as a multi-cultural marriage, a cross between catholic and buddist marriage.

So I think it's possible to find an open minded and progressive priest out there, if you search a lot and if you use, perhaps, gay-protection groups resources: I am sure they have a list of these rare priests.
If you can find such a person, perhaps you could find what you are looking for without having to sacrifice who you are or what your values are.

Jeena Farser

Apr 10, 2012
london
Hi Frank.
The one thing that really comes clear while reading your posts is the fact you really are taking your responsibilities seriously and I don't think the kids would be better with anyone else.

One thing I have noticed in your post is that you talk a lot about your concern for the kids, about how the Mormon Church is gonna accept them despite of their parents sexual orientation, but you don't really talk about the religion practice itself. Should I come to the conclusion you are not a deeply religious person who is more worried about your kids mental/physical healt than follow sacred texts and fit perfectly with the lines ? If I'm right, I do believe you could leave the Mormon Church and just put them in any other Christian Church.Where are you living exactly ? I know some Churches can be a bit radical like those in South Carolina, but it's a minority. Just try to talk to some parents putting their kids in a Christian Church, ask around about what level of tolerance is relevant to that church and that should be ok.

Besides, many kids blossom even with some social differences like having gay parents. I don't think they will suffer that much. However they've been moved around quite a lot already and maybe it's time for them to stay with someone really caring : you

Mom2all

PF Fiend
Nov 25, 2009
Eastern North Carolina, USA
I agree that finding a new church might be the best. I know that you've tried to keep them in a comfortable place by taking them there, but perhaps you should do the opposite. The church had a hand in making your life difficult. It hurt your brother too. Your brother put them in your hands, I believe because he knew you had the strength to do what he himself could not do and walk away from all that that was familiar and negative.

I have a story thats a different situation but the same in ways. We had a house fire that burned everything but us. My children and I had to start completely over. We sat outside and watched everything go up in smoke and instead of letting that continue to make us cry for the past, we started that very second making new plans for the future. Our next house would be blue, we'd get new clothes and cut our hair for a new look. Wash away the smoke and start over in a new place and reinvent our lives.

Grieving the loss of a parent is not something that will be over in a week or month or forever, but you can offer them a new start in a new life. Explore options with them that you had to wait until you were grown to do and make it an adventure. I wish you the best and have to say like the others, I am really sorry you find yourself in this situation and think what you are doing with all the children is wonderful.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
I think you should do what your brother would have done.

With the circumstances surrounding his death, if you ask yourself, who would he have done if he had been completely at peace with his life an identity? I don't think that man would have baptized them in the church that has caused you (and obviously him) such grief.

I don't think you need to be stuck on fulfilling the routes that they were headed, you're their guardians, guard and guide them the best you know how.

I think they are a bit young to go religion shopping and doing a lot of comparison. I think that's something better left to teen years. I'd suggest you give them as strong of a basis in what every faith you choose for now.

For example, I'm catholic, and I recognize there are some rather intolerant practices of my church, but there are also a lot of great traditions and a great community. When I'm raising my kids in the faith, I focus on the strength of community and the basic values, I leave the dogma as being really pretty unimportant, and when I find myself in conflict with the church's teaching I do what they ask me to do - pray for guidance. The church understands that i'm not perfect. And that bit wasn't to sell you on Catholicism or anything, just an example of how religion on paper is different from the religion we live.

I really dislike the idea of teaching kids multiple faiths in much detail very young, I think it's like trying to teach them to read by giving them Tolstoy. So, I know people will say I'm brainwashing them. I'm simply giving them a loving caring base. I acknowledge that other faiths exist and are just as real and right to the people who practice them, and I teach them not to judge others. I think that's a pretty good place to start out from.

Frank

Mar 18, 2011
parentastic, thank you, there is actually a great resource online (gaychurch.org) which I've used to find churches in several different states over the years. Before my brother's children came to live with us, our family was attending a local UCC and felt it reflected many of our values. When my brother's children came to live with us they were hurting and overall in a very unfamiliar situation. They had been raised so strongly in the Mormon church we wanted to give them something comfortable and familiar, so we often went two different directions for church. One of us would take our adopted children to the UCC church they've been attending with us and the other would take my brother's children to the LDS church. We have so many other issues were attending to with all our kids, we just never thought or discussed the permanency of that situation until my 8 year old nephew starting asking about being baptized into the Mormon church. Now we're facing the issue of letting our nephew be baptized into the church, and continuing to long term attend two different churches within our family. Though the issue of two churches isn't real the problem since we've managed to work that out for three months. It's the Mormon church itself and pulling (or allowing) the kids from associating with it.

<I>"Should I come to the conclusion you are not a deeply religious person who is more worried about your kids mental/physical health than follow sacred texts and fit perfectly with the lines ? If I'm right, I do believe you could leave the Mormon Church and just put them in any other Christian Church.Where are you living exactly ?</I><I>" </I>

While religion has been deeply rooted into my life and I do consider myself quite religious, I think yes, it's fair to say I'm more concerned with the mental/physical health of my children. We are living in Southern Arizona and fortunately there are several gay friendly churches in the area. Our adopted and bio children do just fine in one of those churches and ideally I think we'd like to have the whole family attend it, it's just hard to know if that's the best thing for three children who have already been raised so strongly in the Mormon church.

Mom2all &amp; IADad, the more I think it over, the more I keep going back to my brother in all of this. I know had he been at true peace with his life and himself, he wouldn't have kept the children in this church. I'm certain of that and when it comes down to it, I think it's best to keep that in mind and focus my decision on that.

That said, we've decided to take all the kids to our UCC this church weekend and see how they do. Right now the plan is to take them to our church every other week for the next few weeks and hopefully in time phase out attending the LDS church altogether. It may not be ideal, and I hope it isn't too harmful to them to do this but it's the best we've come up with. I don't think sending them off is really in their best interest for stability/emotional reasons along with all the reasons we took them in to start with. We've decided against that no matter what happens and it really was just a lot of doubt coming through and truly trying to figure out <I>what if </I>they were better elsewhere but we've concluded it's best to stick with them and our commitment to them. Yes, we'll attempt to gradually leave their Mormon faith behind at this point but all things considered they're adjusting to their new life quite well and another move/other relatives would likely only be more harmful than good. We've also decided that as they become adults, if they want to go back to the Mormon church, we'll support that as well.

Last edited:

Frank

Mar 18, 2011
Yesterday we took them to our UCC church and I'm now more worried about this than I was before...

My niece, Haley, and nephews, Colby and Gage, were very uncomfortable and unsure of just the idea of attending another church. Haley was very confident she did not want to be part of another church ever or even visit one. She was in tears over it, telling us she believed her church was "the only true church" and she was part of that one and wanted nothing to do with another church. Now we never told her our plan was to bring her away from her church and into ours but at 11 years old she is quite perceptive and smart to realize a visit may lead to that.

Our 11 year old son, Dalton, made fun of her for crying over a church and called her stupid. Her brothers, 8 and 6, seemed to follow her lead. When she was more upset, they were and soon they were all crying and insisting they didn't want to go at all. The situation even sent our almost 8 year old daughter into not wanting to go to a "bad church."

This led to a long talk with all the kids about how there were no bad churches, how beliefs were personal and the feelings a church brings people is different and how churches may be different but still similar. We talked about sadness, excitement, security, hope, love and the stupid comment. Dalton apologized for calling her stupid, without prompting from us, and told her he wanted her to come with us and see the church was ok. He told her how before coming into our family he'd never been to church and was afraid to go at first. She assured him she wasn't afraid but she knew her church was the right one and she wanted to be part of it. Still Dalton's approach of I did it, I want you to come seemed enough for her to decide it would be "ok" to come along this one time. Colby and Gage just went with it from there.

After church Haley was very quiet. She barely ate any lunch though by dinner she seemed completely fine. We asked what she thought about the church after visiting. She said it was ok but it wasn't hers. Colby, my older nephew, agreed and asked if they could go back to their church next week. Haley said she wanted all of us to come to hers next week. Our other kids loved this idea... All day we had tried to address the situation as a "today, we're doing this" and not make any promises we couldn't keep. We told them maybe, <I>maybe</I> we'd all do that... I just don't know that we will or can. We knew the kids attending our church was out of their comfort zone. We realize more than ever now how deeply their beliefs have already been embedded into them. It wouldn't be hard to put my issues with the church aside and take the entire family for the sake of Haley, Colby and Gage for one day. I don't want to give the example to Haley or any of the kids that we'd ask something of her and then not be willing to do the same after we just explained there were no "bad churches." At the same time, I don't know if it's a situation I want to put my entire family in... it could get quite ugly knowing past experiences with members feeling disgusted by us.

Now we aren't sure our plan to rotate the church the kids attend for a few weeks is a good idea at all. We decided we would probably "take a break" from church altogether this coming weekend, maybe take the kids to the lake instead and hopefully buy us more time to figure out how to proceed.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Have you spoken directly with the Bishop? Asked where he stands were the kids to come back? How he would feel about you guys as a family at least attending one service?

I know the 11 year old is getting close to where they require baptism (?). The others are young enough and may just enjoy the church's youth program...which I love. To bad I don't agree with their doctrine. My older 4 attended out local LDS church for about 3 years with a neighbor lady, once they got close to the 'magical' age of consent I did pull them out.

A break may be what you guys need, maybe include a religious home program that involves looking into all religion, trying out different religions, those kinda things.

Just a thought...

Mom2all

PF Fiend
Nov 25, 2009
Eastern North Carolina, USA
I can't imagine what you are going through. I can only tell you to hang in there. These children have been through so much and I know you are trying to do the right thing. But here is what I can't help but thinking.

If there is any doubt in your mind that this place of worship will be harmful to them in anyway in the future, you are obligated to make that hard decision now to cut it out. This is all they have known and so it will be so hard for them to accept a new way of life. Time can heal that. For me, its similar to a domestic violence victim not wanting to leave a situation that is all they've ever known. Just because they hate leaving, doesn't mean they shouldn't. The teaching of their church will go against the life at home with the 2 people that are there to love and raise them. I'd be scared of what that will do in the future.

Raise them as your own. Teach them what you think they need to learn about love and life. Sometimes its hard to know your making the right choices, but at least it will be your choice in what they learn and not a church that will teach them how "bad" you are. Wipe the tears, hug them, and stand by what you believe and it will benefit them in the long run. They will adjust as long as you do it in love.

Frank

Mar 18, 2011
We've spoken with the bishop twice. The first time we did was prior to taking the kids there when we explained the situation the kids/we were in. He encouraged us to bring the kids but also suggested it would be wise and in the best interest of all, if when both adults came along, we sat in the foyer and didn't get in the way of the children getting to their activities. It was kind of don't be noticeable/remain silent and it's fine otherwise don't bother vibe.

The second time we talked to him was just recently over Colby's desire to be baptized. He actually suggested (with a print out, phone number highlighted and not too few words) we consider putting Colby, Haley and Gage into a LDS adoption program and allow them to find the "right home for their spiritual growth and well being." Obviously, they don't want to baptize Colby in the circumstances, they didn't say no but they may as well have...

A suggestion was also made that if they remained in the church, the Bishop wanted to hook them up with a "supportive church family" aka Mom/Dad that could "assist in their family modeling, church activities and spiritual growth"... the idea would "allow" the kids a ride to and from church with this family and participation in church activities with that family every week... Eh, it could be well intended, they could just be trying to offer solutions without insulting us the way it feels but even trying to look at it that way (and it's hard) it just seems like a stay far away and let us show the children "the right way." In other wards teach them a mom/dad family is what family is and they are so unfortunate to be stuck with us but they'll take care of them where we can't:wacko:

Now, I'll be the first to admit it's not ideal and I wish they could have their Mom and Dad over us but it is what it is and I'm not going to say they need a real family or that they're doomed to failure, unhappiness and no "spiritual growth" because of us. We know what we can provide and perhaps with no church at all at this point <I>is best</I>. Maybe an in home thing is the answer, it's a thought to consider right now anyway...

Last edited:

Frank

Mar 18, 2011
Mom2all said:
I can't imagine what you are going through. I can only tell you to hang in there. These children have been through so much and I know you are trying to do the right thing. But here is what I can't help but thinking.

If there is any doubt in your mind that this place of worship will be harmful to them in anyway in the future, you are obligated to make that hard decision now to cut it out. This is all they have known and so it will be so hard for them to accept a new way of life. Time can heal that. For me, its similar to a domestic violence victim not wanting to leave a situation that is all they've ever known. Just because they hate leaving, doesn't mean they shouldn't. The teaching of their church will go against the life at home with the 2 people that are there to love and raise them. I'd be scared of what that will do in the future.

Raise them as your own. Teach them what you think they need to learn about love and life. Sometimes its hard to know your making the right choices, but at least it will be your choice in what they learn and not a church that will teach them how "bad" you are. Wipe the tears, hug them, and stand by what you believe and it will benefit them in the long run. They will adjust as long as you do it in love.
Thanks, when I read this and really think about it in the way you've put it, I know you're right. We've decided to take a break from both churches this weekend and we'll probably continue that break for awhile in hopes time will help. I doubt we'll be taking them back to their church again, we may just cut regular church attending out of our life altogether, we'll see.

Last edited: