Afraid of using public toilets?...

K3ndra

Feb 24, 2012
Hi I am new to parenting forums! I have a perfect little girl aged 3 and a half, who has been potty trained since she turned 2, has been dry at night shortly after and I thought great...Until now!

She has suddenly, like overnight sudden, became afraid of using public toilets! Obviously this is making any trip out of the house very difficult and yes we have suffered a few accidents lately. I cannot think of any occurance where something could have made her this frightened. She is litterally petrified!

She will go to the toilet at nursery and relatives no problem. We have never had this problem ever before and it has never been an issue or even considered a potential issue.

I dont know what to do and it does not seem a common problem. But surely someone can relate to this?? I am open to any advice :D

momtoallkids

PF Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2012
agawam,ma
my daughter had that issue. heres 2 tricks we used.
1. put her in pull-ups when you go out just in case of accedents
2. get some of those clorox wipes to bring with you and let her wipe the seat down so she knows its clean.

just suggestions it worked for us. hope it helps.

GavinH

PF Enthusiast
Aug 22, 2011
Fort Mill, SC
When she was younger, using public toilets scared my daughter too. I learned that it was the automatic flush that caught her once while still sitting down. After that we draped a piece of TP over the sensor before sitting down and that really solved the problem.

K3ndra

Feb 24, 2012
Thanks both, I was a bit reluctant to resort to pull ups again but I suppose when needs be

momtoallkids

PF Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2012
agawam,ma
we went to disney when zoe was about 3.5. pull ups were a life saver.it wasnt just because she wouldnt use the bathroom but sometimes she was just having so much fun she forgot to go.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Lets be honest. I am not a big fan of public toilets. And I get to stand 99.9% of the time.

Not scared but if I have to be sitting for a little while I prefer and prepare to take care of that @ home. Its easy to see why a kid would be creeped out by them.

I would just explain that. Nobody (normal) likes going in them. Its just better than being in pain or having an accident.

Just promise to hurry and be by their side. Thats what we did.

I have to admit though in some higher end places they put dry ice in there and that is kinda neat like shooting a laser beam.

momtoallkids

PF Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2012
agawam,ma
bssage said:
I have to admit though in some higher end places they put dry ice in there and that is kinda neat like shooting a laser beam.
what the heck? thats not fair. we dont get cool stuff like that. lol