Almost there! ?? for sahm...

AnKsMommy

PF Fanatic
Dec 17, 2007
Japan
Starting the middle of September I will offically be a stay at home mom!

That's right...I'm going to be out of the Navy for sure.

Now that I've pretty much over come the ppd that I had the end of last year so the fears of having them all the time and doing something wrong are pretty much gone.

I'm coming up with different ideas on how to entertain them and ideas to do.

The only thing that makes me sad is taking them out of daycare. Alenya loves it there. She loves playing with other kids and goes there without crying anymore. Kaitlyn's teachers all love her so much. They've asked me if they can babysit the girls sometimes still. Everytime my dh brings up them getting taken out, one of the teachers starts crying. It makes me so sad, but I'm happy that I will get to spend more time with them.

So here is the question I have. Did any of the moms that are sahm go back to work at all? I think I want to go back whenever Kaitlyn gets in to preschool. I love working and having a job, but it's just that I love my girls more and I want to spend time with them while their younger. Is the transition hard?

Sirk

Your Forum Mom
Apr 1, 2008
I went back to work after having my youngest and HATED it! They're little for such a short amount of time. I only lasted a few months (and only that long because I had to finish out my contract) before I quit. I was so happy once I could start staying home.

The best advice I can give you is join some sort of Moms group! I loved mine and still miss them since moving. The lack of adult conversation was the biggest problem for me and they helped fill that void, the kids were able to make friends, and we could sometimes wrangle group discounts on activities.

AnKsMommy

PF Fanatic
Dec 17, 2007
Japan
OH! I think that's going to be hard on me too. I love having my adult time. And thats what work did for me. I was able to do things for myself and make friends...I'm a very social person.

My dh and I are in the military and so most of our friends are military too. I'll be in a totally different group it feels like whenever I get out too, and that makes me sad. I don't like talking to some dependants because of their mind set towards military people...and being that I will have just gotten out of the military, I'm worried about clashing with the other wives/moms.

Sirk

Your Forum Mom
Apr 1, 2008
I'm very social as well, I just learned to socialize WITH the kids. ie. playdates and such. It's different, but not bad. Just a different stage in life.
I guess I did have more problems adjusting when I stayed home with Oldest, but that was 8.5 years ago and I was so young then. :eek:

My mom had a career and I remember her really hating the Officer's Wives Club. She was sooooo not crafty like they were. :laugh:

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
My oldest turns 12 tomorrow, which means I've been a SAHM for 12 years. When my kids were younger I was active in playgroups and volunteering at school, etc.. The beauty of being a SAHM is that you can go out with the kids or stay home, whatever you feel up to on any given day. If a child is sick, no problem, stay home or go to the doctor if necessary.

I'm now toying with the idea of working PT, but since my DH works crazy hours, I'm limited as to what I can do. We'll see...

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
staying home is harder then people think, but when I weigh it alll out I'd rather be here with my babies then anywhere else. I love being there fro every cute word or new discovery