Am I crazy for reading to my 23 month old DAUGHTER?...

Jaytacky

Sep 23, 2009
Hey,
The other day I was reading to my daughter and my friend of a long time said that I was crazy. That she didn't know what I was reading that it was pointless do read to them at this age. I think that it is great that she is getting established with literature at her age. It really offended me how stupid and ignorant she could be. I just want my daughter to have the great toddler titles that I had. Like Dr Seuss and the velveteen rabbit. I think that sometimes people forget about the simple things that they can do with their children that will be en graven with them forever. Rather than just putting on a movie and distracting rather than INTERACTING with them.

THanks

Jay

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
what kind of person would say that really??? And you want to know what else is stupid, and ignorant, and offends me....when people come here and spam this site ;-)

Nes

PF Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2009
Canada
OMG I've been reading to Lucas since he was literally born & felt bad not reading to him EVERYDAY when he was less then 3 months!!! :D

He's 16 months and we have story-time before bed every night, he LOVES it! In fact if you try to get away with out reading him a story he'll throw a temper tantrum! (and he's a very easy going child). Something hubby learned putting him down the other night, so Lucas got a 3-4 page story, apparently gave hubby a really strange look, shrugged and went to bed :laugh: what a kid...

savvymom88

Sep 16, 2009
Jay -- it is ridiculus to think that in this day and age people do not recognize the need to interact with their children in positive, educational ways. Reading to and with your child not only shows your child your attentiveness but will also benefit them in the long run when they enter school and are already familiar with their alpahbet and phonics.

Stick with it Jay!

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
i think that anyone who has spent any amount of time with kids would be able to pick up that these sorts of things are what encourages healthy behaviors. kids learn as much by watching others as they do in doing things on their own, even a baby.

you're doing a great reading to your little one. keep it up.

BenDavis503

PF Enthusiast
Mar 9, 2008
Portland, OR
Even though this is spam, I will respond.

My mother says something similar. I told her I was getting my son the your baby can read dot com program. She told me that I shouldn't do that and just let him play, he is too young. Not me!!!

I ordered the program and wished I would have got it when he was 12 months old. He is 22 months now and we are on CD 1 (just finished the starter CD!) and my son LOVES it! He is learning words, learning songs and is stimulating his little mind!

I recommend to any and every parent. Read to your kids early and often!

nannygirl

Oct 29, 2009
Wow. That's so strange. There have been all kind of studies about how reading to small children helps them developmentally. I read to the little girl I watch all the time and she is only 10 months. I actually learned to read on my own when I was three just from my mom reading to me so much that I started to memorize the books and then memorize what words looked like.

Reading to kids is a great way to spend time with them and help them develop. Everyone should do it!

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
think alot of it has to do with being old school-ish. and not making kids grow up too soon, letting them be kids as long as possible even when studies show how helpful something can be...