Am I feeding my baby too much?...

savvymom88

Sep 16, 2009
My son is seven months old and is border on 20 lbs. He has 4-5 8oz bottles a day of formula, 2-3 Tbsp of oat cereal & 1-2 Tbsp of fruit at breakfast and 2-3 Tbsp of rice cereal & 1-2 Tbsp of veggie at dinner. I have relatives that think this is excessive.

Thoughts?

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
No, I definitely do not think its too much. And 20lbs really isn't overweight. Hey, mom knows best! Don't worry about what your relatives have to say. If you're doctor says he's overweight, then you can worry about how much you're feeding him, but every baby is different and some eat more and some eat less. If he's hungry, he's hungry. Don't worry about what they say. :)

wonderllamadad

Oct 18, 2009
Hilton, NY
In my experience, baby knows best. My daughters have only eaten the quantity they wanted. When they are hungry they let me know, and when they are full they stop eating.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
wonderllamadad said:
In my experience, baby knows best. My daughters have only eaten the quantity they wanted. When they are hungry they let me know, and when they are full they stop eating.
Amen to that!

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
depends. I agree with the others about if he's hungry feed him. On the other hand there is such a thing as too much. Our first was 11, 2 at brith so I know a little about big babies. The only caustion I would have is MIL used to always shove more food in them after they give clues that they are done (usually ended up back on her lap) that practice teaches them to ingore the cues that they are full and that's not good. But otherwise, I'm not alarmed by the size and the diest, while "progressive" isn't alarmiing. Talk with the doctor be sure you're on the same page (with an honest discussion of the topic - some times I htink Drs can try to appease parents) then stop worrying about it and enjoy your baby.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Well, you're definitely right in ways because where I firmly believe in feeding a baby when he's hungry, and stopping when he's done, I also have witnessed firsthand an overweight, overfed baby. It was very sad. He was so big, I think he weighed over 30lbs at like 8 months or something. And he wasn't long or big boned. He was average in that area, but just very overweight. He actually had a lot of trouble breathing because of it. He was very unhealthy. I don't completely recall the exact details, but when his mother told me what he ate in one day I was blown away. It was a ton. It was like (for example) 5-6 8oz bottles a day with cereal in them, and 3 tall jars of baby food. In one day!!! Or something similar, you catch my drift.

I am also a strong believer of cereal NOT belonging in bottles. A lot of people do it to resolve spit up or to try and get their babies to sleep through the night longer. But that is a huge contributer to babies gaining too much weight. Either they can eat it off of a spoon, or they can't. I'm not saying its harmful (a lot of people do it) but it is risky as far as the weight thing.

But that baby is 3 yrs old now, and he is kind of a big boy, but not so much overweight anymore. Still big, still chunky, but not unhealthy or huge or anything. And my son was a total chunker as a baby (not overweight, but quite chubby) and started slimming out after he turned one and now he's 2 and he's perfectly average sized, almost turning slim these days. So that also tells us that even if our babies get chunky, they tend to slim out to where they're supposed to be all on their own as they get older.

wonderllamadad

Oct 18, 2009
Hilton, NY
Xero said:
I am also a strong believer of cereal NOT belonging in bottles. A lot of people do it to resolve spit up or to try and get their babies to sleep through the night longer. But that is a huge contributer to babies gaining too much weight. Either they can eat it off of a spoon, or they can't. I'm not saying its harmful (a lot of people do it) but it is risky as far as the weight thing.
According to my family doctor, "a baby cannot tell if they are full if cereal is added to formula or breast milk, as they gauge fullness by the volume ingested. Adding cereal to the bottle, even for a short time, can lead to a lifetime of obesity and diabetes. As well, an infant's swallowing action is not very coordinated and they can inhale cereal into their lungs, causing pulmonary problems."

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
we added cereal to formula for both boys, more so number 1, I don't remember what age now, it helped him sleeep through the night as he stayed full feeling longer. Neither boy has evern been overweight. So, it can be done for a reason, but you're both right, you have to be careful what you're doing, when and how much, and be stopping as you transition to solids.

BenDavis503

PF Enthusiast
Mar 9, 2008
Portland, OR
I have never heard of putting cereal in the bottle. I would probably not do that if I had another child or went back. I liked feeding my son with a spoon! It was fun.

Anyhow, I wouldn't say you are over feeding your kid, but you should ask your doctor what they think.

Is there a history of obesity in your family? If yes, I would take it easy on feeding the kid too much lol

I thought I fed my son a lot, but my Doc says he is taller than 75% of kids his age and thinner than 60% of kids his age.