another Nichole update...

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
We went to the allergist yesterday. We skin tested her for 17 food allergies. All negative! We also had her weighed and she up to 22lbs 12 oz or 22lbs 2 oz. (its a homescale), with me holding her it's 12oz, (probably more accurate) and 2oz with her standing by herself. That means she has gained at least 10oz in a month!!!!! I think my baby is fine and these docs need to back off! lol

We still go to the GI on the 9th, more to prove that she is fine and does not need a biopsy!

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
thank goodness...I don't understand why the docs can't just let a sm baby be sm without running all sorts of tests and such. 10oz in a month is a great gain...I'm glad the news is sounding better all the time

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
me too!!! I think she was getting ready to go through a growth spurt, on top of being weaned, having watery diarrhea and 2 ear infections in 2 months caused her to be "smaller" then she should have been, but she has caught back up. Just leave my baby alone!!!!

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Great news! Glad to hear she's doing better and gaining weight. The doctors are just doing their job. I would rather have them be overly cautious vs. a lazy attitude toward her health.

Out of curiousity, I looked in DD's baby book. She was the same weight at 24 mos.. She has always been small. For the most part, she has always grown and gained weight steadily, but there were a few times when our ped. was concerned. Since they are so small to begin with, if they get sick, they tend to lose weight and everyone gets worried. {{{HUGS}}}

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
thats exactly how I see it Trina, if she was the 50th and dropped to the 45th, no one would say anything, but when they are small, well there is no where for them to drop.

I'm not sure that over cautious is any better then not cautious though. They are wanting to rush into my child having surgery before other avenues have been explored. To me thats just lets see how much money we can get out of these people. Her ped, was never concerned about her weight, just the GI.

Anna78

PF Enthusiast
Jul 8, 2007
London, UK
Sounds like Nichole is doing just fine. All my babies are small, but the drs still can't seem the grasp that maybe its just the way they are and not that they have something wrong.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
yep. Another thing is as well, is most children (what 60%) are actually overweight now, so when they see a child who is not overweight and to top it off breastfed, so they tend to be smaller then their formula fed counterparts, they freak out.