Anti-Spanking Bill passed in Canada...

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
While I don't support spanking, and don't spank Delaney, I think there comes a point where the govenment gets too involved in our lives. I don't believe spanking is abuse, unless you involve objects such as belts, switches, etc. You have to draw the line somewhere with the government. What's next? They will tell us that I can't call my daughter "honey" or "darling" because it's degrading to women?

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
I think it's a sad day when the government has to do something like this...good luck with those kids when they think they can get away with anything they want and there's nothing the parents can do. I'm not at all saying it's right to spank your child as way a to teach them to behave but I should have the right to decide how to punish my child without the gov stepping in. I just think this is way to much

Mindy

PF Addict
Feb 20, 2008
QC, Canada
I agree, it's scary that the govt can dictate how we can parent. It shouldn't be allowed.

However, I happen to be very anti-spanking, so it's a big catch 22 for me. :( :( :(

Sirk

Your Forum Mom
Apr 1, 2008
So Canadian parents can't ground or spank?

What <I>are</I> the government approved punishments?

Mindy

PF Addict
Feb 20, 2008
QC, Canada
Well not exactly, it's a bill, not yet a LAW.

But if it does become a law, I would say Gentle Discipline methods. There is a whole lot of info out there if you want to google GD :)

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
As anti-spanking as I am, this does bother me.

<I>"It is to send a signal, so that people who use violence in a repeated way will no longer feel protected," she said, according to Canwest News Service. "It is not to arrest everyone who gives their child a tap on the arm."</I>

They say that now, but I see this as a very slippery slope.

Mindy

PF Addict
Feb 20, 2008
QC, Canada
But see, I guess that's why It doesn't scare me that much... How on earth would they enforce it? They are so not going to be going into your home. I'm thinking this is more to target like the mom in walmart whos walloping her kid or something? I see the danger though. It's a thin line. But I think my judgement might be clouded by how anti-spanking I am... :eek:

meow_173

PF Addict
Jan 3, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
I dunno, i think its a good thing. I mean people can sometimes take spanking to a new low at times, and to be honest, there are a million ways to get through to a child other than spanking them.

hwnorth

PF Fanatic
Mar 13, 2008
Courtenay BC Canada
I think its a crock of shit and I'll be damned when the government ...who cant get taxes, spending, medical services ... or anything else right .. will suddenly become wonder parent to the world... I would suggest starting my arrest procedure now

Skyburning

PF Fiend
Oct 6, 2007
Mississippi
Outrageous. This is right up there with making it law to wear your seatbelt.
FWIW-I am generally against spanking, but the government has no place in this.

Cthru

PF Fiend
May 11, 2008
Chicago suburbs
hwnorth said:
I think its a crock of shit and I'll be damned when the government ...who cant get taxes, spending, medical services ... or anything else right .. will suddenly become wonder parent to the world... I would suggest starting my arrest procedure now
I could not agree more.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
hwnorth said:
:notworthy:

Teresa

PF Fiend
Feb 2, 2007
Ohio
Totally against government trying to control this sort of thing. I am anti-spanking, and have never spanked any of my children in 22+ years of parenting. However, I don't see a bill like this being enforceable. Are there going to be cameras in every home, every car, every public place? If not, you aren't going to know when someone spanks their child, unless someone else reports them....and even then, you can't PROVE it.

meow_173

PF Addict
Jan 3, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
I had a convo with DH last night about this, and we both agree that even though we don't agree with spanking, its not the governments place to intervene. If parents choose to spank, that their decision.