antibiotic resistance...

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
My son has been on antibiotics for about 7 days now. I have noticed little improvement in his attitude (he is very whiney) and he still has a bad cough and a snotty nose. The doctor said that he should be feeling better in 24 hours after the first dose. Do you think the antibiotics aren't working?? He shouldn't still have a snotty nose. I take him in tomorrow to see if he needs tubes and he also gets his 15 month shots. I just hope he doesn't already have a resistance to antibiotics.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I almost posted the exact same thing I swear Lissa. My daughters (both of them) have this mucus cough that's only in their throat, runny nose and my littlest twin has stomach cramps. No other symptoms.
The antibiotics that my oldest twin is on isn't working.
Antibiotics will not work if it's a virus. They will only work if it's bacterial, fungal. So your little man just may have a virus.
There is a possibility he could be immune to the antibiotics as well. They usually give little one's amoxicillin.
I keep telling my girls to blow their nose, it's the only way the virus is going to get out.
Has your son been on this antibiotic for a long time? Sometimes they need to keep him on longer.

My girls are on amoxicillin, singulair, flonase, clorophenerimine, delsym and motrin. Nothing is helping. We go to the Dr's again today.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I wouldn't let him get shots tomorrow either. I'd wait till he feels better. His immune system is already fighting one thing, no need to make his body work any harder with vacines. Just my opinion. Some Dr's won't give them if the child is sick.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
He's been on the antibiotic (cepfodroxil??) for about a week. I wonder if it's even cleared up his ear infection because he's very crabby still. The stuff smells and tastes just awful.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
he shouldn't get his shots if is isn't feeling well....especially if he has a fever. He probably has a viral infection which is way the antibiotics aren't helping...unless your dr gave him a blood ir mucus test he has no way to really know if it's viral or bacterial so he probably gave him the antibiotic just in case (most drs do this)

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
Lissa said:
He doesn't have a fever.
than I guess it would be up to the individual dr whether or not to give him the shots, mine won't give them to a sick child at all, he makes me come back (which can be a pain) but I only mentioned the fever part because Vaxs should never be given to a child with a fever

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
The last time Oliver got shots he was sick. I was very surprised that they gave him shots. They didn't make him any sicker though so that's good. But if he's still sick on Tuesday, I doubt I'll have his shots done.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
both of mine have been sick for like 2 weeks now, coup sucks...but Debralyn seems to be doing better then the baby (but she takes robitussin). Babies and toddlers are the worst when they are sick...I feel bad but I am so sick of wiping snot and listening to screaming and crying

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
Me too! Oliver and I have both been sick for a few weeks now. It's terrible.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
it's like a never ending cycle...both the kids start feeling better, than I'm sick and it starts all over again

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
fallon said:
it's like a never ending cycle...both the kids start feeling better, than I'm sick and it starts all over again
I KNOW!!!!! It never ends.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I would just take him in tomorrow and have him look in his ears to see if the infection is gone. If not, then a different antibiotic might be used. Oddly, I've never heard of that antibiotic. It's not a steriod? I wonder if it's just the dr. Mine have only been on the amoxicillan and that's it even for ear infections. Maybe it's the age...I don't know.
I think I might have a mold problem in my attic :( I don't know who to call. I've tried everybody and am at a loss.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
I'm just so sick of these ear infections. As much as I'd hate for him to get tubes, it's much better than being on medication all the time.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I agree Lissa. My nephew had tubes and so did my friends son and it helped a ton. Then one day they just fell out and they were fine. :)

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I'm with the others Lissa, i would not give any shots until he is better. Doctors will give them as long as a temp is under 101, but I think any illness is an illness and needs to be treated before introducing more illnesses to his little body.

Most ear infections are also viral not bacterial, but most docs still give antiboictics no matter what. I bet he has just the plain old rhino virus and it will take 2-3 weeks before he is well again.

Nichole was put on the same antibbiotic for her ear infection. She has only had one though. It's a higher strength then amoxi.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
the cold, lol snotty nose, headache, cough all that normal cold stuff. Rhino i sthe most common strand that goes around though

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I have never heard of that. I've heard of Rota virus. That has a very distinct smell. I can not stand that virus. It comes out both ends very fast :(

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
yay, rota virus is nasty, but 99% of all children will have it before the age of 5, so they all get it! lol It still sucks though huh?