any advice? (potty question)...

edn

Dec 6, 2007
My 2 1/2 year has been mostly potty trained for about 6 months but we cannot get her to use the potty when we go out, she screams and crys if we try to put her on a toilet out in public. What should I do? This makes it so hard to go out to a restaraunt or a store becasue she tells us when she has to go but will throw a fit if we try to take her a toilet. She uses the regular toilet at home and at familys house, and never needs a diaper or a pull up at home. Thanks

Rhian

PF Enthusiast
Dec 1, 2007
UK
Is there any possibility you can talk to her about what bothers her about public restrooms?

I don't really have any advice on this, sorry. I hope it's something she grows out of!

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
this is sooooo common!!!! I would suggest googling "potty training public toilet fears" I bet you wil lfind tons of others with the same problem.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Go buy a small potty chair to keep in your car. I would never let my children go into public bathrooms so I carried a potty chair in my car and we would walk out there and I'd let them go there. If they have to go poo then put a plastic shopping bag in it so you have easy disposal. Carry a gallon of tap water in the car so if she pee's it will be easy clean up to rinse out. (that's the only thing I can suggest) I still squat myself!! lol

Jullies

Dec 10, 2007
New Jersey, USA
My daughter (Katelyn) was potty trained when she started walking (at 14 months she was already potty trained and we could go out for a walk without nappies).The most important thing is to make the process interesting for the child. Buy an interesting potty, let them play with it, let them know that they are supposed to get used to that and act surprised when they have an accident and always be patient.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
oh music mom reminded me that they do sell portable toddler seat covers.
I know they have them at babies r us. THey are just little folding plastic seats that go over the big toilet.