Any advice works...

Binky

Feb 27, 2012
<t>Hello all<br/>
<br/>
I apologize for the length in advance, I am married to my wonderful wife who I adore, her son was 6 years old when we met, and he is now going on 11. He is a really nice kid but very emotional and VERY attached to mom. His father sees him for 48 hours every 2 weeks, my step son adores his dad, which I wouldn't expect less, his dad's idea of being a good dad is letting him stay up until 1am playing video games and telling him eating vegetables makes you skinny. My step son has always been adept in manipulation and I feel like he sees me as coming in between him and mom. He’s good at playing his mom against me and us against his dad. Recently my wife gave birth to our son, who is amazing and I absolutely adore him. My step son was very difficult during the build up to birth; he gave me a tough time in particular and even said he wanted to kill me during a meltdown. He told us he would never have anything to do with the new baby and hated his name. When baby was born my step son went completely the opposite way, he absolutely adores his new brother which was a relief, but he has quickly become obsessed and jealous of my time and relationship with the baby. For instance, I come in late from work and he waits for that time to spend time with baby. He says I’m "lucky" because I get to hold him, he said this when I was carrying him through the busy parking lot at the hospital. He tries to tell me how to do things, I was about to put his binky in his mouth when my step son said "not yet", he tells me what baby likes and doesn't like. I had to tell him to back off and remind him that he is the brother and I am dad. He went right to his mom to ask her if I was right about putting the binky in his mouth, she told him he shouldn't question my parenting. I'm doing my best to involve my step son in everything. I buy him gifts and try to spend extra time with him doing what he likes; I cuddle him and show love but this still ends up with him being difficult, it’s like it’s never enough. He's very self-centered, I guess most kids his age are but it hurts me especially when he sees his mom going through a tough time and he wants her attention. His mom is not 100% back to full health after giving birth and has been to the ER since, this causes a strain on us all but step son still wants all her attention, he will fall over when no one’s looking and cry, he likes to be out of his room multiple times after bedtime (I counted 13 the other night). Today he was slamming doors hard while his mom was sleeping, I tell him to be quiet and he ignores me, he then stomps out the door for his bus with me following behind. He later sent a negative text to me. I am working hard for the whole family, mine is the only income, I try my best, I am a good hard working family man who would do anything for anyone and I’m just exhausted with his behavior. Any advice you have would be very welcome, I apologize for the length of post and thank you if you got all the way through.<br/>
<br/>
Regards</t>

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
He's 11, for 11 years of his life he was an "only" child. Add to that the fact that you are not his dad (take that light hearted) and the new baby is biologically connected to you in a way he will never be. When he is trying to control the situation it is because he has no control what so ever in his life. Tempers, fits are all about him controlling things. It is the one thing in life he can control, no matter what you do as a punishment he can still control whether or not he is going to do it.

Now that that has been said that does not mean you ignore it completely. The next time he throws himself on the ground, look him right in the eye's and say "I'm sorry that you feel out of control right now but I will not tolerate such behavior. When you can control yourself we will talk about it". Then walk away. No matter what he does, how long he does it. Say nothing, do nothing. That is going to be the hardest part, especially if he get's very loud.

As for him offering parenting opinions..very normal...very normal. He just wants to feel involved. He's big brother that's a very important role and it sounds like he is taking his role seriously.

I had to tell him to back off and remind him that he is the brother and I am dad.
Big mistake, you can respect his opinion without making him feel alienated. Next time he wants to offer a suggestion ask him why you should have waited. Then explain why you chose to not do it. Follow up with the fact that everyone does things differently and that doesn't make either side wrong.

Last...he's 11. They are very hormonal and it is very likely in the next few years it going to get worse as he enters puberty. My oldest did at 11 so it is very possible.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
These are just my opinions. If some can be of use great. If not that OK to.

Binky said:
VERY attached to mom.
I feel like he sees me as coming in between him and mom.
He’s good at playing his mom against me and us against his dad.
IMHO
Thats good he is attached to mom.
Common for boys to feel competitive with dad for her attention. Its frequently written about. Sure its highlighted because of your situation. But its not abnormal.
They all play the mom against dad game. its up to the both of you to prove it wont work. It does take patience though.

Binky said:
Recently my wife gave birth to our son, who is amazing and I absolutely adore him. My step son was very difficult during the build up to birth; he gave me a tough time in particular and even said he wanted to kill me during a meltdown. He told us he would never have anything to do with the new baby and hated his name. When baby was born my step son went completely the opposite way, he absolutely adores his new brother which was a relief, but he has quickly become obsessed and jealous of my time and relationship with the baby.
Thats probably common for some anxity when faced with a situation that places your standing in the famly in limbo (in his mind).

Cool that he wants to form a bond with brother.

We all struggle with equal time and attention for the kids. It takes time to find your rythem. Its not always fair either. Dont expect to figure this out overnight or even for it to remain the same after you think you have.

Binky said:
For instance, I come in late from work and he waits for that time to spend time with baby. He says I’m "lucky" because I get to hold him, he said this when I was carrying him through the busy parking lot at the hospital. He tries to tell me how to do things, I was about to put his binky in his mouth when my step son said "not yet", he tells me what baby likes and doesn't like. I had to tell him to back off and remind him that he is the brother and I am dad. He went right to his mom to ask her if I was right about putting the binky in his mouth, she told him he shouldn't question my parenting.
I think I would try and encourage/nuture this. I know it kinda insulting but kids lack the social skills to do this well without offending. Its an oppertunity to teach some of those social skills and confirm your approvial of him being his brothers advocate.

Binky said:
I'm doing my best to involve my step son in everything. I buy him gifts and try to spend extra time with him doing what he likes; I cuddle him and show love
I try to avoid buying random gifts. I may pick up a cool rock I found, something like that (he like rocks) or stuff that makes me think of him. I travel all the time. So for me at least its important not buy stuff all the time.

I think the rest of what you said is great. And IMO much more improtant than gifts.

Binky said:
but this still ends up with him being difficult, it’s like it’s never enough. He's very self-centered,
Your right most are. They are really not "Big Picture" people yet.

Binky said:
he will fall over when no one’s looking and cry, he likes to be out of his room multiple times after bedtime (I counted 13 the other night). Today he was slamming doors hard while his mom was sleeping, I tell him to be quiet and he ignores me, he then stomps out the door for his bus with me following behind. He later sent a negative text to me.
IMHO he is old enough to know that these are not acceptable. I would give him "the look" with the falling down then make it a non-event.

The sleep or not staying in the bedroom may be very real. There are several thread on helping getting kids to calm and sleep. Sounds like the little guy has a lot on his mind. I always recommend books on tape. But their is a lot of advice in the forum that may help with this.

Stomping slamming doors and mean text. He know's this is wrong. I would go directly to discipline. No point in telling him what he already knows. Which is its wrong to do that.

Binky said:
I am working hard for the whole family, mine is the only income, I try my best, I am a good hard working family man who would do anything for anyone and I’m just exhausted with his behavior. Any advice you have would be very welcome, I apologize for the length of post and thank you if you got all the way through.

Regards
I am sure you are. We feel your pain brother.

No need to apologize. We are all where you are at one point or another.

Last edited:

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
I think M2M said everything I wanted to say....unfortunately another duty for a hard working caring dad, is also to humour the big brother.

Binky

Feb 27, 2012
Wow, thank you so much for that extremely useful advice mom2many, bssage & IADad. Just typing up what was going on was good but you guys reading and advising me is fantastic. I'm so glad I found this site. Thank you again

MomoJA

PF Fiend
Feb 18, 2011
I second everything M2M and bssage said. I know that you are seeing it first hand and it is annoying, but it's a tough position the kids in.

I agree with bssage that you might want to actually encourage his "instruction" of you when it comes to the baby. It could be your great bonding moment and it won't really hurt you in the end. You are going to develop your relationship with your baby. This might be a chance to strengthen your relationship with your stepson.

Good luck. Kids that age can be especially trying, and when you have the complications of a step parent relationship, I imagine it can be even harder.

momtoallkids

PF Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2012
agawam,ma
<r><QUOTE author="Binky;131057"><s>
Binky said:
</s>Hello all<br/>
<br/>
. He says I’m "lucky" because I get to hold him, he said this when I was carrying him through the busy parking lot at the hospital. He tries to tell me how to do things, I was about to put his binky in his mouth when my step son said "not yet", he tells me what baby likes and doesn't like.<e>
</e></QUOTE>
<br/>
have you let him hold the baby yet? just wondering. and the bossiness is normal. when my 16mo was still a little baby my 7yo used to tell me what he liked and didnt like and that i had to hold him like this lol they are like little parents. engage it. let them help you. its was my saving grace. my 7yo turned into super sister.she would even get up in the middle of the night and make a bottle if he woke her up. she still does. she carries him around the playroom. my 10yo liked to hold him but other than that wanted no involvement. he didnt like feeding him cuz he drooled he didnt want to help change him cuz he didnt want to see his winkie. now he likes to play with him but wont pick him up or anything like that. however they both like to slip him snacks when im not looking. <br/>
some kids take it farther than others. your stepson sounds like hes the little parent type. i was like that with my brother and i still am. we have a 13yr age differance. let em help. it gives you a break while making him feel needed. but given the behavior prior to birth i would watch carefully. sometimes they will pinch or poke the baby to make them cry. my step son did it a few times. but we got to the bottom of it and it was becasue he wanted one on one time with me. problem solved. we started doing more one on one with the older ones and included them in every household decision. their favorite is the shopping lists.</r>

Binky

Feb 27, 2012
momtoallkids said:
have you let him hold the baby yet? just wondering. and the bossiness is normal. when my 16mo was still a little baby my 7yo used to tell me what he liked and didnt like and that i had to hold him like this lol they are like little parents. engage it. let them help you. its was my saving grace. my 7yo turned into super sister.she would even get up in the middle of the night and make a bottle if he woke her up. she still does. she carries him around the playroom. my 10yo liked to hold him but other than that wanted no involvement. he didnt like feeding him cuz he drooled he didnt want to help change him cuz he didnt want to see his winkie. now he likes to play with him but wont pick him up or anything like that. however they both like to slip him snacks when im not looking.
some kids take it farther than others. your stepson sounds like hes the little parent type. i was like that with my brother and i still am. we have a 13yr age differance. let em help. it gives you a break while making him feel needed. but given the behavior prior to birth i would watch carefully. sometimes they will pinch or poke the baby to make them cry. my step son did it a few times. but we got to the bottom of it and it was becasue he wanted one on one time with me. problem solved. we started doing more one on one with the older ones and included them in every household decision. their favorite is the shopping lists.
Yes he holds him a lot and for long periods too. I love this, like I say it was a difficult build up. He really is a little parent too, as soon as he gets baby, he immediately starts undressing, i'm not sure this is normal behavior but he says he wants to be skin to skin with him. I like the bonding stuff but he seems to be trying to take the dad role not brother, that's why I told him to back off and it wasn't said nastily either, it was just me saying hey, I'm dad, I know what i'm doing. I love the advice here though and will let him give his thoughts an opinions in raising him, and it really is nice to have him help out .. diapers next lol . .thanks for the help

momtoallkids

PF Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2012
agawam,ma
i dont know if i would allow a skin to skin thing. its a bonding thing for the parents yes but it seems a little creepy for a sibling to do it. sorry in my head theat would throw up a red flag. have you tried putting him in therapy? it might help, alot actually. but at the same time it kinda sounds like he has been reading too many parenting books.

this is just a theory but it almost seems af if he is trying to take over your roll and push you out of the picture. little parents is one thing but ya thats a little excessive. does he help mom out alot with things that you would normally help her with?

Last edited:

Binky

Feb 27, 2012
That's exactly how I feel sometimes, especially with him trying to tell me how to do things. I did tell him he didn't need to go skin to skin with him when he holds him. When we were in the hospital, I was skin to skin with baby and the nurse walked in, she said it was nice to see dad skin to skin. SS must have picked up on this maybe? I like peoples advice here and I really need it too, but I do feel he is trying to take the dad role. He is jealous of me when it comes to baby and has even admitted it. He makes videos for baby to watch when he's older which is really cute, but yesterday he made one about how to get around your parents by using one against the other. I deleted it. He is a tricky character and knows what he is doing IMO. therapy has been discussed, he did see one in the past and will probably do so again. Thanks for reading and for the advice :)..

momtoallkids

PF Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2012
agawam,ma
ya therapy would definatly be at the top of my list lol. heres a question, do you guys have alot of baby books? like the how to guides? cuz it almost sounds like hes read a few too many lol however him trying to take over your roll is not a good thing at all. sometimes it can lead to much worse problems. especially when it comes to jelousy. i mean yes, its not a common thing for the worse case senario but there have been cases that start out just like yours and turn violent towards either the parent or the sibling. cases like that usually end in tradgity. i would be really carefull. alot of times the parents will say "well we didnt think they were capable" you never know what a child or even adult is capable of until it happens. its scary. id get him some help now before it escalates.