Any thoughts / suggestions?--22 year old son with issues...

lovemykids

Dec 31, 2010
Ok, I know as I'm putting this down on paper, I will look like an idiot of a parent for not picking up the signs of this a long time ago. I have 3 children. The oldest and the youngest are doing great. The middle son is another story. He has always been mediocre in school. Nothing any of the teachers said much about-- just that he could always do better, but we all thought....."he's a boy, etc"
Graduated from high school and on to community college. Didn't do so well on the placement tests, so took some remedial classes to get him up to speed. Got a "D" in biology first semester, so retook it 2nd semester and passed with a "C". Came to us and said that no matter how hard he tried, he couldn't do well. Took him to the Dr. and we got a diagnosis of ADD. He's now on Vyvanse. Went another year at Community college and "seemed" to be getting "C"'s,
Around spring break of 2nd year, he came home really messed up (first time we've ever witnessed anything like this). Searched his car (our car actually that we allow him to drive to school and work) and found a bong and a metal box with bank receipts. When we checked the account number, found that he had been making withdrawals from his brother's account ($1600 over a few months). We got a committment from him that when his job started in April he was going to pay his brother back (and he did). Worked the summer, things seemed to be going ok. Back to school for his 3rd year at Community College. After the incident in the Spring we told him we we would no longer pay for college. He would need to take out loans and we would reimburse him if he passed his classes with at least a "C".
Each semester he would print out his transcript and show it to us.....nothing worse than a "C". , but we have since found out that he doctored the printout that we saw, so he had failed classes. We now know it's for non-attendance. He got up on time for school each morning and came back promptly on time, but never went to class.
In the Spring of his 3rd year, we got a knock on the door. It was from parents of a kid who our son had written checks that had bounced. (their son was a drug dealer)Their accounts had been frozen because of the bounced checks and were looking for payment or they were going to the police. We had been keeping our sons money and not allowing access (other than for small amounts), so son took from this money and paid them. 2 or 3 days later another kid comes to the door with copies of bounced checks our son had written him and wanting payment. So son paid him. both of these situations were for purchase of drugs....although we find it very humorous that drug dealers in these parts take checks. He also owed the bank $1600 from bounced checks and fees that they had paid. He's paid the bank off, too.
Anyway...during the course of this time, he had a car accident (thinks he fell asleep....no drugs in system), then a month later has a seizure and 10 days after that another seizure. In hindsight, we think the car accident was a seizure and in further thinking, think it was that he was trying to get off drugs and be clean for when his girlfriend came home from college.
Herein lies the other issue. He has a sweet girlfriend from an affluent family. She wants to marry a college graduate. He does not want her to know anything about his drug use. He appears to be clean over the summer and falls back into the same pattern when school starts up. We are starting to think that school stresses are what have him turning to drugs.....wanting to do well for her but not able to.
He's now on depakote for 2 years for seizures. We are drug testing him on a fairly regular, unannounced basis at home. Everything going fairly well with the drug test until this past October. Failed the opiate part. Said that he got a Vicodin at the golf course because he had this horrible headache that wouldn't go away. We semi-believed him, as he has bad allergies, but still weren't quite buying it. Then the cell phone bill came and we saw a phone number on there more times than the calls to his girlfriend. We didn't recognize it, so I went to a payphone and dialed it. It went to voicemail and the name was a person who is known as a drug-dealer in our town and a pretty messed up kid.
Confront the son and he breaks down and says that all along it's been a problem with heroine......off and on. He was doing fairly well at staying drug free until the drug dealer showed up at our house when my husband and I were gone. Now, our son could have said no, but didn't. and now has this monkey on his back again. He was been in counselling since the Spring, but also had his counselor buffaloed, too.
Well, as you can guess, this semester didn't go so well either and the community college has terminated him.
My husband and I have been attending a Families Anonymous Group and it has been very helpful. We are deciding to make this his problem, not ours (although with him in our house, it is somewhat our problem). He knows that if he has any more drug issues, it is either rehab or he's out of the house. We want to send him to rehab, now, but he won't go because then his girlfriend would know what's going on.
The counselor says that although he's 22 years in age, his maturity is more like a 15 year old. Do you throw a mental 15 year old out on the street?

I should add that I always thought my husband and I were very involved parents, knew our kid's friends, etc. Our family attended church on a regular basis, etc. Had dinner together as a family. No drugs and very very little alcohol was used in our home. Everything that the books say to do, we did.....but it didn't seem to work for the middle kid.
Any thoughts?
We've told him that he's got to come up with a plan....whether to appeal his termination, get a full-time job, maybe go into a trade school.
We are not, though, going to help him. We can supply him with options, help him locate places, etc.
Sorry this is so long. Anyone have any experience with this type of situation?

lola

PF Regular
Jul 15, 2010
lovemykids said:
We are not, though, going to help him. We can supply him with options, help him locate places, etc.
Whatever youthful folly lead him to take heroin in the first place, that drug is nothing to mess around with, its not just a bad habit he'll grow out of or a valuable life lesson. Its a life ender. Straight into rehab, no ifs ands or buts about it. Your son <U>needs</U> your help. I'd be very worried that the drug dealer knows where the house is.

lovemykids

Dec 31, 2010
Unfortunately, he's 22 and we can't make him go. We are drug testing him at home and he knows that if that is positive he's either out or rehab. It's such a hard choice. If we tell him rehab or out now....he's probably going to choose out and then our concern is that he will take up with the drug dealer or those who frequent the dealer. (and ALL of these people know where we live)
On a positive note....he is clean at the moment and not showing signs of heading down that path at the moment. The drug dealer is headed to Court at the end of this week, as he sold to undercover agents.
His biggest problem is the girlfriend he doesn't want to disillusion and the fact that he really thinks since he is clean at the moment, he doesn't have a problem.
I have toyed with having the conversation, " just so your dad and I know your wishes.........cremation or traditional burial? Let's discuss what you'd like at your funeral, etc" to send a message that you either get off this stuff or you're going to eventually die. There have already been many overdoses in our town.....people that he even knows.
I never in a million years dreamed that this would happen in our family. We thought we were so vigilant and active in our children's lives through school and church. His uncle is a recovered alcoholic and there is a cousin in the family who is a drug addict (which ended in his death). We're all wondering if this kid of ours inherited the "addict" gene.

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
I'm sorry to hear all this lmk, it must be killing you and your husband. I have seen drug addicts and unfortunatly it comes down to them helping themselves.

It must be horrible for you to watch. It seems like your doing everything you possible can. sooner or later he's going to have to come to terms with his life.

If it were me I think I would keep at him and keep pounding it into his head that he needs help.

What else can you do, I don't know? Good luck I hope it works out for the best.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
lola said:
Whatever youthful folly lead him to take heroin in the first place, that drug is nothing to mess around with, its not just a bad habit he'll grow out of or a valuable life lesson. Its a life ender. Straight into rehab, no ifs ands or buts about it. Your son <U>needs</U> your help. I'd be very worried that the drug dealer knows where the house is.
Unfortunately, forcing someone into rehab rarely accomplishes anything other than introducing him to other users and new, different drugs. Its a decision he has to make for himself. If he goes to rehab for any reason other than because he wants to get <U>and stay</U> clean and get his life back on track, he may come out clean, but he will relapse faster than you can say "welcome home". The fact is - getting clean is easy. Staying clean is harder than you could ever imagine.

To the OP - it sounds like you are doing the best you can. The sad truth is that there really isn't much you can do. Support him in any effort to make something of his life, but don't do it for him, and above all stay strong in your condemnation of his drug use. Keep the communication lines open, so that he knows that you will always help him, as long as he is willing to do his part.

As for why... who knows?

Basically, heroin is a painkiller. It kills pain and helps you cope. It is also a lying b!tch - in the beginning it feels really, really good - and then you are left chasing that high that you will never quite get again. And before you know it, your life is a mess. That's when you start needing it to escape from the chaos it has dumped you in. I know this will sound really crazy, but the thing about drugs is that it makes life really simple and easy. Family doesn't matter. Responsibilities doesn't matter. Tests, bills, even food and a place to sleep doesn't matter. All that matters is getting your next fix, so you get to focus on one thing only, and the rest of your life - well, as long as you stay high it can simply be ignored. Then, when you get clean, you are suddenly faced with all these issues - p'ed off family members, bills that are months in arrears, failing marks if you're a student, health issues, etc, etc. Reality can be very overwhelming, you know, especially when you know that you can blame only yourself for the mess you are in, and that you have to fix it yourself. Its so much easier just to run away from it all again...

lovemykids

Dec 31, 2010
singledad--
You sound very knowledgeable in all of this. Interesting that both you and his counselor said that he is hesitant to put him in rehab because....they make friends and continue the friendships on the outside....and these aren't good friends. I keep having thoughts that we really just need to get him out of this town/area. I guess I was pretty naive and am amazed at the use of heroin in this town. Our town used to have more than the average amount of methlabs, but someone said that in our town, heroin is the "new" meth.
I think our son would do better in some sort of trade...something he can do with his hands. He is a mechanical whiz and is really great at computers/troubleshooting, etc. So, we'll see. If only we could point him in the right direction and find him something that really interests him and he enjoys. The big BUT, though is that any type of "trade" job (i.e. mechanic) wouldn't be acceptable to the girlfriend. He's put in a couple job applications, but still thinks he's going to college....is adamant. I just don't think he's happy and the stress is turning him to drugs. Funny thing....one of his 6th grade teachers once said that nothing ever got him stressed-- that this kid would never have an ulcer. Well, maybe not, just drug use instead. He must internalize all this stress, as he seems very laid-back on the outside.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
lovemykids said:
singledad--
You sound very knowledgeable in all of this. Interesting that both you and his counselor said that he is hesitant to put him in rehab because....they make friends and continue the friendships on the outside....and these aren't good friends.
Its true. Don't misunderstand me, though - I'm not anti-rehab. Rehab can be a very powerful tool, that can help a lot. BUT - your head has to be in the right place when you go in. There seems to be a misconception that rehab clinics are places where addicts are "treated" and "cured". Its not. Its a place where they provide you with tools that you can use to regain control of your life, and the support you need to make use of these tools. Its still up to the client to do the work, though, and if he isn't 100% focussed on that, his fellow clients who may also be less than 100% motivated will be a bad influence. That why it has to be his decision. If he goes in for any reason other than because he is desperate to turn his life around, he will not be able to stay focussed enough to really benefit from going to rehab.

lovemykids said:
I keep having thoughts that we really just need to get him out of this town/area. I guess I was pretty naive and am amazed at the use of heroin in this town. Our town used to have more than the average amount of methlabs, but someone said that in our town, heroin is the "new" meth.
I don't want to sound negative here, but no matter where you go - there will be other drug dealers. Maybe not heroin, but see, addiction is more about the need to medicate than about any specific drug. If he wants to get high and can't find heroin, he'll just use whatever he can find. I know this isn't what you want to hear, but I really don't think moving to a different town will help much. He cannot stay away from any and all temptation forever - he will need to learn to say no if he wants to have a chance at staying clean.

lovemykids said:
I think our son would do better in some sort of trade...something he can do with his hands. He is a mechanical whiz and is really great at computers/troubleshooting, etc. So, we'll see. If only we could point him in the right direction and find him something that really interests him and he enjoys. The big BUT, though is that any type of "trade" job (i.e. mechanic) wouldn't be acceptable to the girlfriend. He's put in a couple job applications, but still thinks he's going to college....is adamant. I just don't think he's happy and the stress is turning him to drugs. Funny thing....one of his 6th grade teachers once said that nothing ever got him stressed-- that this kid would never have an ulcer. Well, maybe not, just drug use instead. He must internalize all this stress, as he seems very laid-back on the outside.
Its a great pity that he is getting so much pressure from this girl to go to college. It sounds as if you are right that he needs to rather go to a trade school. Finding him something that interests him, that he is good at and that he enjoys may just be exactly what he needs to stay clean - happy people don't generally need painkillers. To be honest, I find it hard to believe that this girl is really serious about him. If she was, she would love him for who he is, and not require a college degree. After all, I suppose it may be different there, but here, depending on the trade, some tradesmen are more skilled and earn more than some university graduates...

On a different note - if he is set on college, can he not do something more technical there? Something like computer science, for instance, given that he is great at computers... I know he probably won't qualify for anything in the line of engineering, but surely there are other, more technical courses that are more aligned to his talents and interests?

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
singledad said:
I don't want to sound negative here, but no matter where you go - there will be other drug dealers. Maybe not heroin, but see, addiction is more about the need to medicate than about any specific drug. If he wants to get high and can't find heroin, he'll just use whatever he can find. I know this isn't what you want to hear, but I really don't think moving to a different town will help much. He cannot stay away from any and all temptation forever - he will need to learn to say no if he wants to have a chance at staying clean.
I just wanted to completely agree with this. Sadly, you can't hide from drugs. I live in probably one of the most harmless places there are, and trust me there are still plenty of drugs and drug dealers, should you be looking. More hardcore stuff can be found in the city, but majority of it can be found here also. Either way, anything you can't find here is only 30 minutes away in the city. Its crazy because I live in one of those places that if you look around you'd imagine it'd be drug free. Unfortunately, drug free just does not exist anymore! :( If he doesn't learn how to stay away from them and say no in any and all circumstances, then he will not progress.

Good luck, I really hope he comes around. He's still young.

lovemykids

Dec 31, 2010
Thank you for all your responses. I think the crux of this whole problem may go back to his younger days in school. He was always a mediocre student and it wasn't until he went to college that we wondered if he might have ADD. I think his struggles with school led him to follow others who would like him, approve of him, etc. College got even harder and it much easier to skip class and get high.
I really wish the relationship with the girlfriend would end, but he would be a mess. Already there have been a couple occasions where she would make noise about wanting to break up and I think that resulted in his last relapse.
Currently, she doesn't even know that he's dropped out of school, so I don't know how long he's going to keep up this charade.
Yes, the trades many times make more money than some college educated jobs. He thought he wanted to be a math teacher, but that would be one of the most poorly paid jobs he could have. After high school graduation, I don't think he really knew what he wanted to do, so my husband and I pushed him to go to community college. At that time he was majoring in computers.....seemed logical because of his knack for this area. Don't know the reason why, but he decided he wanted to be a math teacher and switched majors. I think he could succeed in college if he had the drive. Instead what I think happens is that a test or something with the girlfriend gets stressful and he turns to drugs to cope. I can't say how many semesters look like he started out great, but couldn't stick it out for the entire semester. On an up note (if there is one), he got 2 C's 1D, and 1F.....which is better than he's done in a long time.
My husband and I have noticed that right now he seems clean, clear-headed, and happy.....not attending school. This can't go on forever, but I think he'll look at something different in the fall......there's a technical business who has set up a program at the comm. college that trains and then recruits the students for jobs. If he can get into that, maybe that will help. Of course, the s*** is going to eventually hit the fan with the girlfriend.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
lovemykids said:
My husband and I have noticed that right now he seems clean, clear-headed, and happy.....not attending school. This can't go on forever, but I think he'll look at something different in the fall......there's a technical business who has set up a program at the comm. college that trains and then recruits the students for jobs. If he can get into that, maybe that will help. Of course, the s*** is going to eventually hit the fan with the girlfriend.
The program sounds like a good idea. Something that will keep him occupied give him goals to work for, and boost his self-esteem (assuming that he will do well).

Good luck to you and your family. I really hope that he will be able to stay clean and make something of his life.

<SIZE size="75">PS: Just a word of warning re. your statement that he seems clean, clear-headed and happy: It is frighteningly easy to hide a drug habit, even from someone who is very close to you. And its even easier if that person wants to believe that you are clean. So don't relax - stay vigilant. With heroin its actually quite easy to tell - look at his eyes. If he's on heroin, his pupils will be tiny, as if he is looking into bright light, even inside the house. He can hide all the other signs, but that is always the dead give away. ;)</SIZE>

onlyme

Mar 9, 2011
I'm sorry to hear of anyone going through this. I didn't see rather or not your son is having any police problems or not, but, if he is you can try something my SIL did. Her son was having an alcohol problem and he was only 17, he got into trouble and the judge was going to sentence him to 30 days juvie, it was for stealing while he was drunk. Anyhow, she pleaded to the judge of instead of juvie time that he spend his time in alcohol rehab, the judge went a bit further and put him in a rehab and psych center for 45 days. It changed my nephew, but unfortunately only for awhile. At this age you're just going to have to just pray for the best. Good luck to you.