Anybody know how to fix a keyboard key?...

budnkota

PF Fanatic
Mar 28, 2008
Indiana
The "T" key keeps popping off my laptop, and I can't get it to stay in for more than a few minutes. Is there some abra cadabra magic trick???

Mindy

PF Addict
Feb 20, 2008
QC, Canada
It should snap right in, left side first, then left... If you don't hear it snap, it's not on right :) Let me know if that doesn't work.

budnkota

PF Fanatic
Mar 28, 2008
Indiana
It clicks and stays in place for about 2 minutes and then pops off again. Why couldn't it be the z, instead of a letter I use every 2 minutes?

Would superglue work, or would it eat through the rubber underneath?

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
I would be very careful with the super glue, if you mess it up (spill some) you may never be able to type a "T" ever again. I would take it to a computer shop.

Also Super Glue is similar to model glue, it melts plastic and rubber in order to meld.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
You only put the super glue in the little hole where the key would go.
Go buy another keyboard, they are every where for a few bucks.. You could also try puddy.

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
BTW, (not meaning to highjack) funny story I remembered hearing, when George W. Bush took over the White House, all the former employees, removed the "W" keys from all the computer keyboards.....the "Dubya" keys.

I thought that was funny, probably cost all taxpayers $0.00000001 each.

Epic, practical joke IMO.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Oh hehehe, Yea I missed the laptop part. Sorry. I'll have it all messed up. Don't listen to me.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I think everyone today should go and switch four keys from your co-workers keyboard just for shats and giggles. Whatdaya say?

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
If it doesn't snap on easily, then you probably broke the plastic piece that holds it on the bottom. DO NOT USE SUPER GLUE! Use an epoxy adhesive...it will be less likely to cause damage to your laptop.

budnkota

PF Fanatic
Mar 28, 2008
Indiana
crisis resolved. The little "scissoring" piece had come off with the key. Apparently, you have to take that off the back of the key, reattach THAT part and then push the key itself back down. It won't go in right if you are just trying to push it in.
Don't know why I didn't think to look at the pics on the dell site in the first place! :)

Thanks for the suggestions!