Anyone else question advice from pediatrcian?...

button611

PF Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2008
I has some concerns regarding Bailey possibly having some hayfever allergy issues-she has had a really runny nose for the last week or so and we also went to the Zoo on Sunday for Mother's day and after spending more hours outside than she has in her intire life so far-her face was constantly covered in snot and her eyes were red, watery and slightly swollen-I felt horrible about this. So I called my doctor on Monday and asked them what I should do to help her-you want to know what they said:they said it is impossible for children less than 2 yr old to get allergies!!!! I was very upset-after giving her a good long bath, and a good nights sleep she was much better which makes me think allergies, her dad and I have them bad this time of year. What do you all do when you question what the doctor has told you-do you just believe they know what they are doing or do you get a 2nd opinion?

Last night we took Bailey to an Urgent Care clinic because she was having wicked, I mean wicked diarrhea and it was also not natural smelling, so I became the paranoid first time mom and rushed her to the Urgent Care-I was mostly worried about dehyrdration, and the fact that she has lost a little over a pound in the last month. I also asked them while I was there about allergies and they said that it is possible to have them and to give her some Benadryl-now what? Who do I believe, my pediatrician who I saw myself as a kid and have always trusted til now, or the urgent care doctor who I have only seen once? What is a new mom supposed to do?

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
my children both developed out door allergies well before 2 and I was always told a little benadryl would be just fine and it has always worked to help my babies feel better. I would be looking for a new doc

button611

PF Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2008
I thought that it was weird they would not even see her, but rule out allergies all together. I am also glad to hear that someone else has had the same problem. Both my husband and I have had bad colds in the last few days as well, so I guess it is possible for her to have just a cold, but it was much worse after being outside-I am thinking allergies, it is a bad year for everybody I am hearing. We will be looking into a new pediatrician as well.

ljmahr

PF Fiend
Oct 16, 2007
Yeah, I agree. My 2 yr.old and 20 month old are both on allergy medicine so I think it is possible. I would definitely either call and make an appt. or find a different doctor.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
My whole family has environmental allergies, in fact I was on prescription Benedryl and Dimetapp in addition to allergy shots three times a week at the age of 8. Dd got that genetic blessing as well - and it was apparent before the age of 2.

Anytime you have a feeling that your doc is not saying something that seems right... check it out. Motherly instincts are sometimes more on point that what a doctor may say or believe.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I was not comfortable giving benedryl under 1, but my child never had allergies like that either. I would go with the bendryl then too. And of course they can have allergies, thats just insane.
Find a new ped. and before her 12 month birthday

AmyBelle

PF Fiend
Apr 20, 2008
Australia
Allergies are caused by the immune system percieving something harmless as an enemy and fighting it. Seeing as we have immune systems from birth, we can have allergies from birth.

I question alot of things doctors say, they always brush it off as "stupid nurse thinks she knows everything" but I always get a second opinion when this happens. Unfortunately, alot of health professionals dont read up on the new scientific reports and stick with what they were taught back in med school, however long ago that may be.

Skyburning

PF Fiend
Oct 6, 2007
Mississippi
Yeah that was pretty silly of him to say. What about moms that breast feed and have to cut so much stuff out of their diet (soy wheat dairy etc) because their baby is what?...allergic. lol

I'd look into another ped. too. But I don't think I'll ever trust one person %100. It's always good to do your own research too.