Anyone have good Buttercream fosting recipe?...

button611

PF Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2008
I am getting ready for Bailey's first birthday, and I want it to be really special. I have found a cake pan that makes a GIANT cupcake and I am making little cupcakes for everyone else. I am looking for a good Buttercream frosting recipe, but since I am in no way a cook at all, I don't even have cookbooks. This whole party is going to be an adventure for me because I am not a cook or an entertainer. I am way over my head this time because I am making all the food and we are having the party outside in our back yard because of all the kitties we have-half the guest are really allergic to kitties. Any recipes you have tried and love that are easy for a first time cook?

button611

PF Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2008
After last weeks tradgedy of losing all my foster kittens, I have decided to get back on the wagon and try again. I just felt like I should be doing something more, so I found a woman on Craigslist that was looking for foster homes for kittens. I am not sure why I called her yet, but it works out great for both of us, she needs the homes and I can help. The best part is she provides the food and litter I need, so that it does not cost me a thing. We are getting 4 little females tomorrow that are 8 weeks old. They are a little malnourished, so they just need a little TLC before they can be spayed. I am excited to have more kittens to foster-I also need name suggestions for these little girls. I just can't wait to get these little girls back to 100% and then help find them the families they deserve.

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
button611 said:
Any recipes you have tried and love that are easy for a first time cook?
Classic Butttercream from The Cake Bible

At room temperature:
6 large egg yolks
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
2 cups softened unsalted butter

1) Grease a 1-cup heatproof glass measuring cup and set aside.
2) In a bowl beat the yolks with a mixer until they are light in color (3-5 minutes).
3) In a small saucepan, combine the sugar and water and heat, stirring constantly, until the sugar dissolves and syrup is boiling. Stop stirring and boil to the soft-ball stage on a candy thermometer (238 degrees). Immediately transfer the syrup to the greased 1-cup measuring cup to stop the cooking.
4) Beat the syrup into the yolks with the mixer, pouring slowly in a steady stream. Don't allow the syrup to fall on the beaters or it will make a mess. Continue beating until completely cool.
5) Gradually beat in the softened butter.
6) Place in an airtight bowl and refrigerate if you are not going to use it immediately. Bring it room temperature before using.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Let me know if that doesn't work for you. My sister is a cake decorater/baker at her home and she has an awesome frosting that is buttercream. I can ask her if you still need it.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
<I><I>2 cups Crisco</I>[/COLOR][/COLOR]</SIZE>[/FONT]</I>
<I><I>1 two pound bag of powdered sugar</I>[/COLOR][/COLOR]</SIZE>[/FONT]</I>
<I><I>1 tbls vanilla</I>[/COLOR][/COLOR]</SIZE>[/FONT]</I>
<I><I>Milk</I>[/COLOR][/COLOR]</SIZE>[/FONT]</I>

<I><I>Cream the Crisco until smooth, add the vanilla and mix. Slowly add the powdered sugar adding the milk just a teaspoon at a time. Only add enough milk to make it smooth (if you add too much it will be too loose). Beat on high until smooth and fluffy.</I>[/COLOR][/COLOR]</SIZE>[/FONT]</I>

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
button611 said:
This whole party is going to be an adventure for me because I am not a cook or an entertainer. I am way over my head this time because I am making all the food and we are having the party outside in our back yard because of all the kitties we have-half the guest are really allergic to kitties. Any recipes you have tried and love that are easy for a first time cook?
A few easy things to do:

1) Get some bamboo skewers. Buy some ravioli and tortellini with different fillings. Cook ravioli and tortellini separately and according to the directions on the boxes. Put them on the skewers, alternating the pasta. Serve with a bowl of pasta sauce or two (on tomato-based, one cream-based). People can either dunk the skewered pasta or pour the sauce onto the skewers. The pasta and sauce are fine at room temperature.

2) Buy a couple of boxes of vanilla pudding mix, one or two frozen pound cakes, and a lot of different berries. Cut the cake into half-inch or less slices. Make the pudding. Get a bunch of clear plastic cups and alternate layers of fruit, cake, and pudding. This can be made ahead of time, as long as you have refrigerator space.

3) Buy some really good tomatoes and either feta or fresh mozarella (if you don't have fresh, I wouldn't use the stuff in packages - it doesn't work well for this). Cut the tomatoes into 1/4-inch slices and arrange on a plate. Drizzle with good olive oil. Sprink the feta or put a slice of mozarella on each slice. Sprinkle with basil, salt, and pepper. The longer you let this sit, the better it tastes. So make it in the morning or the night before, cover it with plastic wrap, and you can do something else.

4) Get a bunch of different types of grapes, strawberries...pretty much any type of fruit except for bananas. Buy your favorite brand of full-fat strawberry yogurt. Cut up the fruit. Add the yogurt. As long as you buy fruit that doesn't brown when it is cut (the bananas), you can make this the day ahead.

5) Buy some asparagus (look for the thinnest stalks) and proscuitto. Cut off the last 1/2- to 1-inch of the asparagus ends. Boil water in a pan wide enough to lay the asparagus in. Add the asparagus to the boiling water and boil until just tender (about 5-10 minutes, depending on how much crispness you want). Drain and let cool the asparagus. Wrap each stalk of asparagus with a piece of proscuitto. Fry the wrapped stalks in a little bit of butter or olive oil until the proscuitto is crispy but not overdone (it just takes a minute or less usually). If you want a sauce, you can take some balsalmic vinegar, boil it until it has a thick, syrupy texture, and serve the asparagus with this. This recipe works even if it cools to room temperature.

The key is to make stuff way ahead of time, so you can do all the last-minute stuff that pops up. Things go way wrong when everything needs to be either hot or cold, or when everything has to be made at the same time.

HTH. :)

PennQuaker09

PF Fiend
Oct 8, 2007
Durham, NC
Ari2 said:
Classic Butttercream from The Cake Bible

At room temperature:
6 large egg yolks
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
2 cups softened unsalted butter

1) Grease a 1-cup heatproof glass measuring cup and set aside.
2) In a bowl beat the yolks with a mixer until they are light in color (3-5 minutes).
3) In a small saucepan, combine the sugar and water and heat, stirring constantly, until the sugar dissolves and syrup is boiling. Stop stirring and boil to the soft-ball stage on a candy thermometer (238 degrees). Immediately transfer the syrup to the greased 1-cup measuring cup to stop the cooking.
4) Beat the syrup into the yolks with the mixer, pouring slowly in a steady stream. Don't allow the syrup to fall on the beaters or it will make a mess. Continue beating until completely cool.
5) Gradually beat in the softened butter.
6) Place in an airtight bowl and refrigerate if you are not going to use it immediately. Bring it room temperature before using.
Is you don't know anything about baking, I probably would not try that recipe, it's not really for beginners.

I think you would be better off trying something Crisco based.

PennQuaker09

PF Fiend
Oct 8, 2007
Durham, NC
For Pure White Buttercream:

1 Bag of Powdered Sugar (The bag does not have to be sifted.)
1 Cup of Crisco (Has to be Crisco, generic brands don't work.)
1 Tablespoon of Clear Vanilla Extract
1 Tablespoon of No Color Butter Flavor
Between 2 and 4 Tablespoons of Water or Milk (If it's hot where you live, use water.)

That is a slightly modified version of Wilton's Classic Buttercream recipe. I used more Vanilla and Butter Flavor because it's bland if you don't.

Cream the Crisco, Clear Vanilla, and Butter Flavoring together first. If you have a KitchenAid, put it on number 1 and let it whip for a minute or two. Next, add the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time. It's going to look extremely dry after you add the 4th cup, but that is where the water comes in. Only, add the water in tablespoon increments, because you'll have buttercream soup in no time if you just start adding water. Usually about 4 tablespoons will do the trick. After adding the water, just let it beat for about 2 or 3 minutes. The trick for smooth buttercream is to cream the Crisco and liquid first.

To buy the Clear Vanilla and No Color Butter Flavoring, go to Michaels Arts and Crafts, Hobby Lobby, or Jo Ann's. I think it will depend on where you live. I'm from the South and we had Michaels and Hobby Lobby. They usually have about 1 or 2 isles of cake decorating items. The other option would be to find a cake supply store. But anywhere you go is going to have Wilton items. Wilton is basically all there is, unless you're a professional baker. I'm willing to bet Wilton makes the pan that you have. they have all kinds of pans from Dora to Sponge Bob. Also, the craft stores hold cake decorating courses. That's how I got started. It's so much fun. Plus, I'll never have to buy my kids a cake, I can make them.

Also, if you want to color the icing, you have to buy the Wilton food coloring. Food coloring for icing is made in a paste form. This is because liquid thins out the icing. Pure white icing takes color the best.

You can replace 1/2 of the Crisco with butter and omit the Butter Flavor for a more traditional buttercream, but it's not as white. If you do use butter, make sure is is Unsalted. I prefer Land o Lakes.

Here are some links for you:
Wilton

Cake decorating ideas, cake tips, cake decorating articles, cake recipes, photos and more. CakeCentral.com