Apparently I have two half sisters...

superman

PF Fiend
Aug 23, 2010
Canada
Well, it turns out my dad died. Lol, i never knew him all my life.. saw him once recently found out he was an idiot. Anyways barely knew him. So i get a call yesterday morning saying that he died. Turns out the girl im talking to is his oldest daughter and she found out about me cus i was in his will apparently.

She wants me to come to the funeral but i really dont know. i told her i was in the middle of something and took her number. I kinda freaked out a little....shes 20 so just a year younger then me. She said she always knew she had a half brother but didnt know where. So i guess its kinda different with me and her...cus shes probably been thinking about this since she was a kid. I never really thought about it before...]

The dilemma is i dont know if i should meet them.
What would you do?

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
well, you know you have something in common and you are blood relatives....so I'd think curiousity would say, yes, you should meet them. Be prepared that they may not have the same perspective on your dad, so tread lightly.

Going to the funeral would probably show that you're the bigger man. You know it doesn't cost anything (much) for you to extend respectfulness, whether anybody deserves it or not. I just don't think you gain anything by remaining distant to any other relatives, sort of makes you into the "prick" son if you do.

I'd suggest you go, if anybody starts gushing about how great he was, you can always just turn and go, or say something like, "my experience with the man was considerably differennt" and leave.

That's what I could envision myself doing, but who knows for sure, I'm not in your shoes.

good luck.

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
I agree with IADad supeman, you are the bigger man anyway because I remember when you tried to meet with your dad, and I think that shows your maturity.

I know if it were me, I'd be curious and would like to meet my siblings, after all it isn't their fault just like it isn't yours. and they may turn out to be ok you may like them.

I remember you saying when your dad came to meet you after all those years, he asked for money right. Well...I'm sure they know him the same way.

But like IADad said they might have more positive feelings for him,but I don't think so. so just be prepared.

You can leave when ever you want. Maybe you can bring a friend, it's nice to have a friend you can bounce things off in a situation like this.

Good luck I hope it works out for you which ever way you choose, let us know.

xox.ilu.xox

PF Addict
Dec 17, 2009
Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada
i agree with IA dad as well. You may not have liked your dad, but he passed away, and like IAdad said, its good to extend some sort of respect even if u dont think he doesnt really deserve it. I would wanna meet any half siblings I had, so I say do it, just tread lightly ;)

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
What have you decided? I know I would go but to meet the sisters. Remember they didn't do anything to you so try not to hold the grudge against them and don't judge them if their feelings about your dad are completely different then yours. It isn't there fault how he treated you or how he treated them.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
I suppose its probably too late now, but I think if I were in your shoes, I would not go to the funeral, but I would try to meet the sisters over a cup of coffee later. I would skip the funeral out of respect for those who would want to stand around and talk about what a good man he was. I'm not the kind of person who can smile and nod under such circumstances, and telling your side of the story at the funeral would only cause innocent people unnecessary pain. But that's me - perhaps you can pull it off.

I would want to meet the sisters, though...

superman

PF Fiend
Aug 23, 2010
Canada
Yeah, i didnt go.I read what you said sd after but I basically didnt go for those reasons.

I met with both of them though for cocktails lol. it was pretty cool. They were really nice. It was weird to think they were related to me lol... Anyways so i told them about the time recently he met up with me and asked for money. Ended up he had a cocaine addiction wasnt close with his daughters the last 7 years...He was a pretty wealthy bastard but never sent my mom one cent lol loser.

One is 19 and the other 20.. i told them about James an Brandon so they wanna meet him they both like kids. were probably going to the bars afterwards together.

So yeaaaaah, kinda cool i got sisters theyre pretty chill and equally dislike our dad.
:rolleyes:

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
That's awesome Superman! I'm too late coming into this lol, but I have a half sister and half brother out there somewhere that I would love to meet, however I was never given the opportunity. You're lucky! Hang on tight to your family. :)

Incogneato

PF Fanatic
Feb 9, 2011
I'm glad things worked out without you having to do something you didn't feel comfortable with. It's good that you're forming a relationship with your newly found siblings. I hope things continue to blossom and you guys keep in touch...don't let a major event like a funeral be a catalyst for your next meeting with them.

Pasha

May 26, 2011
Oregon
I am glad you got to meet your sisters. My dad had a similar experience. His mom gave up a baby at birth and the brother found the family a few years ago. So my father has a brother and nieces and nephews he never knew he had. They have all met. It was strange for awhile. But they have gotten to know each other and things are pretty good. I hope you have a similar outcome.