Apps for parents (iPhone/Android)...

julia_ottawa

PF Regular
Oct 9, 2012
Lets share if we found something helpful out there... something, that makes our life as parents:veryconfused: easier

ikon99

PF Enthusiast
Oct 15, 2012
Arizona
Can't think of specific parenting apps but the iphone is a great babysitter when at dinner and the kids are bored w the adults at the table. The kids love angry birds. The 5 y/o loved to film anything and every thing. I have 2 minuts of footage of her chipmonk stuffy on the floor of the minivan

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
We use power school to keep up with the grades. If i had an Iphone the school Icalender would sinc up with iphone. That would be cool. Not 400 bucks worth of cool. But cool the same. I have movies and games the kids can play at doctors ect. And I know of some really cool Geo Fencing and tracking apps.

Last edited:

julia_ottawa

PF Regular
Oct 9, 2012
Angry birds are so much fun! My daughter loves them, but my 3-year-old son is the main iPhone user - he loves taking pictures and I have a mirror app, that does not save pictures on the disk... so thanks to God, I do not have to worry anymore about deleting them - hundreds of them - afterwards.
@bssage, what's power school? Sounds like a very useful app

Last edited:

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Power school is an school sponsered app. It allows me to check the kids grades at any time. You can also set it to send notifications like a weekly, biweekly or even daily report of the kids grades. You can also access the school calendar, teachers contact info. Kids can log on using their own ID and that gives access to e workbooks, help, ect.

And the Geo Tracking is cool but not what I was talking about. There are tags that you can attach to your kids clothes that you can follow on a map on your phone. On these you can create a geo fence, for example: a circle around the school. And if you child crosses this fence line it sends notifications to you cell or will auto call a land line ect. Chloe has major issues with escapism and it was one of the things I was looking into.

ikon99

PF Enthusiast
Oct 15, 2012
Arizona
bssage said:
And the Geo Tracking is cool but not what I was talking about. There are tags that you can attach to your kids clothes that you can follow on a map on your phone. On these you can create a geo fence, for example: a circle around the school. And if you child crosses this fence line it sends notifications to you cell or will auto call a land line ect. Chloe has major issues with escapism and it was one of the things I was looking into.
Wow, LoJack for kids. My corvette can be tracked if it's stolen. I so want that app. Looking it up now.

ikon99

PF Enthusiast
Oct 15, 2012
Arizona
I looked up some apps and cannot locate one that has the tags for their clothing. What is the name of your app?

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
ikon99 said:
I looked up some apps and cannot locate one that has the tags for their clothing. What is the name of your app?
It has been a couple of years since I was looking at them. So I may be a little dated in my response. Cost was an issue. The units themselves were not cheap. And you had to buy a service plan (like a cell plan) to use.

There are some failure modes aside from the device failing (most claim to be rock solid) For example if attached to clothing it would need to be transferred each time they changed clothes. Also not practical for swim suits ect. At the time when Chloe would run off: she only had panties on. And it was in the mornings before we had woken up. Attached to shoes they could fail if the shoes were removed. Just not a big fan of lanyards necklaces for little kids. I tried to get her to keep a gumball wristwatch just to see if she would. No, go.

Had to maintained a charge in the tag.

Had to change (I think it came with several presets) location of the fence for example if she was at school (circle around the school) to grandma's (circle around grandma's house) ect.

Another reason we did not get one. There were no "brick and morter"stores close buy that we could handle one kick the tires so to speak. Not sure if she would have even tolerated wearing one.

But they were neat. A good idea. And maybe they have been able to overcome some of what I felt were failure modes. Another thing I like was that you could have notification sent to several people at the same time. And that it was advertised to be able to locate them within several feet. If they had gotten out of the geo-fence.

http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/product/toddler+tag+child+locator.do?sortby=bestSellers[/URL]

http://www.gpsmagazine.com/2008/05/the_ultimate_gps_child_trackin.php#.UH9CaIYnSfU[/URL]

Last edited:

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
That would indeed be useful (if I had a smartphone). What about a hair clip? Would she leave that alone? I can imagine tucking that into my daughter's braid without her even noticing it. But its real functionality would be for pets. I don't know how many times my neighbors have had to return my geese (despite having a covered pen). I'd love to be able to just track them! They do have some kind of device like this for falconers who lose their bird... maybe you could compare cost/functionality with that product for Chloe?

The 5 y/o loved to film anything and every thing. I have 2 minuts of footage of her chipmonk stuffy on the floor of the minivan
Hilarious!

julia_ottawa

PF Regular
Oct 9, 2012
" have had to return my geese"

Hm... I leave in Canada.... These Canadian geese are always back on their own and every spring they wake me up at 4 am on Sunday with their honks while flying over the roof on my house... any apps to keep them away? Shooting them is illegal... :) ) )

ikon99

PF Enthusiast
Oct 15, 2012
Arizona
Geese app. Nope, have not seen any geese repellant appt. Try shooing them away with a broom. Or get up at 4am.

yeng

Nov 22, 2012
julia_ottawa said:
Lets share if we found something helpful out there... something, that makes our life as parents:veryconfused: easier
You might want your child to improve his vocabulary and teach early singing lessons. Jolly Jingle. It's a sing-along app with an interactive game and 5 tracks of Christmas Carol songs. I'm using the free version. It's available on iTunes App store. Don't know if there's an Android version of it.

:smile:

Alison1968

Apr 17, 2012
I found a free advent calendar (I have posted this elsewhere on the site in its own thread but just spotted this thread so here is the link again!).

http://appsto.re/xmascal[/SIZE]</SIZE>[/FONT][/URL]

LaraWard

Dec 11, 2012
Hehe, the advent calendar looks pretty - is it for other smartphones too? We just got an android smart phone in our family.

My kids are enjoying finding all the Christmas items in 'seen it christmas' at the moment. I quite like the app because at least they are moving about and being a bit active by searching for the christmas stuff. We're using the app on android - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.siliconsymphony.seenitchristmas.lite[/URL]

There might be a version for other phones, not sure (sorry!)