Aquariums?...

Good Wolf

PF Addict
Mar 11, 2008
TX
The Mrs. decided to set up an old 30g aquarium we've had for a while. I told her that it is all on her because they are too much maintenance, and the involve too much death.

One month later I'm addicted. We have the 30g fully stocked, and are picking up a 29g from my brother this weekend. I'm also looking to get a large 75-100g.

In the 30g we have;

2 Gold Gourami (One is rainbow and the other is stripped)
4 Cardinal Tetra
4 Neon Tetra
7 Glass Cats
5 Peppered Cory

I haven't decided what is going in the new tank yet, but I'm looking forward to stocking it.

Any other fish lovers out there?

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
We had one for a couple of years, and they are pretty cool, but keeping it clean and nice does take regular maintenance. If we do it again, we'd probably hire out the maintenance.

Got to say, out cats loved it, maybe even more than we did. :)

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
There are some great fish forums out on the net. You might to check into them if you are taking this to a hobby. It would be fun to get into.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Amber said:
I've wanted one, but we've never gotten one. I'm a little worried my kitties would get into it.
Amber for a first fish I recommend a beta. They do not need oxegen filters and major upkeep. You do have to clean their water a few times a month. They can live up to five or six years. You can also keep them in pretty much anything, even with plants like a vase.
Beta fish used to live in Ox footprint holes with the mud and muck ;) Easy fish.

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
I've seriously thought about a beta. My sis in law has one, and I think they're pretty. I might consider looking into getting one this weekend.

Thanks! :)

Good Wolf

PF Addict
Mar 11, 2008
TX
musicmom said:
There are some great fish forums out on the net. You might to check into them if you are taking this to a hobby. It would be fun to get into.
Yep, I'm on fishforums.com. Great forum.

meow_173

PF Addict
Jan 3, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
I LOVE FISH!i did have a 10 gal tank but i havn't had the funds to get it up and running for a while. But i love guppies. ANd breeding them! Its s ofun!

Good Wolf

PF Addict
Mar 11, 2008
TX
I've stayed away from the breeding. It is very time consuming, but from what I've seen it is a lot of fun, and if you can actually make some money at it.

I might look into it down the road. For now I want to get my two 30 gallons set up and then look into getting something larger. A 100 gallon would be great.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
I have lots of extra tanks that my dragons have outgrown...I've been thinking about seting one up for fishies. I love watching them swim and they make a room so pretty

Good Wolf

PF Addict
Mar 11, 2008
TX
fallon said:
I have lots of extra tanks that my dragons have outgrown...I've been thinking about seting one up for fishies. I love watching them swim and they make a room so pretty
Got any pics of them?

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
fallon said:
Be careful, tanks that have been used for reptiles can be toxic to fish.

Barbi.doll

PF Regular
Apr 4, 2008
Greater Toronto Area, Ontario
I've got a 30gal with 5 black skirted tetras, 3 other tetras (can't remember what kind), a platy, a pleco, a catfish of some sort, there was a dwarf frog in there, but I haven't seen him in a few months.

Just some tips. I haven't cleaned mine since like October or something, and it's doing fine, though it's not in direct light either.

The larger the tank, the less the maintenance.

Tetra's will live through just about anything including neglect to feed them. Apparantly, if I remember correctly, they are the oldest fish held in captivity and are hardier than any other freshwater species.

I always had bad luck with gouramis!

Platys, Molly and Swordfish are all livebearers who eat their own babies but are all easy to take care of. Though, you have to put the babies into at least a floating baby tank until they're too big to be eaten by their mothers (nasty moms eatin' their own children grrr). They're similar to guppies in the breeding sense.

I love loaches. I had a horse faced loach once and he was as strong as a horse. I had the large size gravol and he could dig right down under it, swim through it and manage to overturn my stone ornaments. I haven't been able to find one of them in years.

If you find your tank gettin' nasty with algae, plecos are great for a quick clean up, but in the end they seem to cause more waste than the amount of algae they consume, so best to maintain with an actual algae eater.
Also, the chemical "waste control" is really good for getting rid of waste.