At a complete loss......

ivybendorf

PF Enthusiast
Mar 2, 2008
Oklahoma
My three yr old has absolutely no concept of the rules. She just doesn't understand they exist, and she will not follow them. I have tried several different discipline methods, but after a week they stop working. Nothing I say or do can convince her that she cannot do certain things. Ripping everything out of the entertainment center and tearing it apart is NOT okay! I cannot go to the bathroom, eat, run the the mailbox. She needs constant round the clock supervision, or my entire house is destroyed. She seems to live in her own little world and is genuinely confused when something is expected of her or her attention is required. It is not only incredibly frustrating and exhausting, but I am beginning to actually worry about her. She pays so little attention to the world around her that she is constantly running into things, falling off things, hurting herself. I think her imagination has such a firm grip on her she just doesn't care. There is no way to babyproof either, she climbs and destroys to get around it. She is beginning to forget basic rules like don't hit Mommy, too. She came up to me laughing and smacked me over my head today. She saw her 13month old brother smacking me in order to clap, so she thought it was okay.

I have never met a child so oblivous to things. I dont know what to do with her. I am getting more and more tired, and realizing just how difficult she is. She is my first, and only had a slight clue of how difficult she was until I had my son. He seems so much more alert and aware sometimes. He pays more attention than she does.

I am consistent, I am calm, I am firm, but it does not seem to help. She only pays attention to those things that she wants to, and I am not one of them. I know people are going to try and tell me that she is three and that is how it goes, but many other parents comment on her behavior as odd, as do my parents, and I myself recognize a huge difference in her versus other children. She is far behind in her speech development, as well. She is getting much better at comprehension of concepts, but she is so slow about it it makes me cry! I dont know what to do for her to ground her a little bit.

ivybendorf

PF Enthusiast
Mar 2, 2008
Oklahoma
Adding one more thing: Potty training is a disaster! She is partly potty trained, but their are some weeks when she decides she will relieve herself anywhere she wants. I find poop all over the house! Nothing is sacred. She does what she wants, when she wants. She has always been this way, and she needs to learn some boundaries! argh!

(added after a day of constant and deliberate misbehavior...)

AnKsMommy

PF Fanatic
Dec 17, 2007
Japan
*hugs*

It's such a hard age sometimes. You love it and hate it all at the same time. Do you follow though with the different types of discipline? Or do you do it one day and don't do it at all?

I'm kind of like that be a little easy going on more days than other. My poor husband can't get our daughter to take him seriously for anything! She thinks that he's all fun and games.

You have another child, do you think the potty training could be a way of acting out to get more attention?

I don't want to bring it up...but I might as well. Have you taken her to a doc to check up and make sure her behavior is normal?

I'll be watching this thread to try and get some ideas for my own daughter as well.

parentinzen

PF Regular
Mar 9, 2008
I would suggest that if you are at your wits end, it may be time to get some outside help. I would set up an appointment with the doctor and discuss these things with him/her. If it is a totally normal 3 year old thing to do, they will know it and let you know. You will feel better hearing that from someone who sees a wide variety of children all of the time. If you have done some online research first and think something is going on, make sure to bring that up while at your visit. They can usually test for things and see if something is really going on.
I'm sure it is hard when your once sweet child is doing things like this! Just use your Mommy intuition and be an advocate for her. If you think something is wrong, try to figure out what it is. If that means a doctor visit, or psychologist visit then so be it. I know those are hard decisions to make, but ones that you might need to consider. If you feel that this really is a normal 3 year old thing to go through then you will know that too.
Go with your gut!

-Amy
http://www.parentingzen.com

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
I have so much to look forward to. :(

*makes an mental note to get tubes tied*

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
Ummm... is it too late for adoption?

J/k

Gosh! Bless your heart (yeah, I'm a Texan) I wish I could help but I'm trying to deal with my 4 year old right now... you know, the terrible twos X 2.

I know you've said that you've tried all kinds of discipline, I've just ordered Love & Logic as I hear really great things about it and I really like (and have tried) some of the techniques from the sample articles on their site.

As Parentinzen said, checking with the doc is always a great idea as well. Sorry I'm just not much help on this but I feel your frustration.

Kim

PF Fiend
Apr 3, 2007
St. Louis, MO
HappyMomma said:
Ummm... is it too late for adoption?

J/k

Gosh! Bless your heart (yeah, I'm a Texan) I wish I could help but I'm trying to deal with my 4 year old right now... you know, the terrible twos X 2.

I know you've said that you've tried all kinds of discipline, I've just ordered Love & Logic as I hear really great things about it and I really like (and have tried) some of the techniques from the sample articles on their site.

As Parentinzen said, checking with the doc is always a great idea as well. Sorry I'm just not much help on this but I feel your frustration.
Love & Logic is fantastic!!!!

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
I ordered mine on ebay for a fraction of the new book cost. (I'm hoping it's in the mailbox when I get home) *crosses fingers*

Did you find the links to the online articles?