At wits end-2- I also am in need of advice...

kbrand0554

Nov 27, 2007
I have a son,age 19, he was diagnosed as adhd at a young age, but I am beginning to find that he has has symptoms of autism at a young age, and hyperactivity is also part of it.well that is not the advice I am seeking though.

At 19, he is finally finishing highschool, and is about to graduate this year, and he has made several friends, younger though, and troublemakers to boot,but I have told him over and over what life expects from him.
He is habitual with stealing, last summer, he fell off his bike, while carrying his psp, that he got as a gift for his 18th birthday, needless to say, the screen cracked. he stated that he was going to have a friend replace the screen, and then sell it.
I believe that he stole a psp from a good family friend that was missing his after my son visited him. another psp surfaced about a month and a half after, with his comment , that a friend let him use it, and when the friend gets the new white psp, he was going to let my son keep the old black psp. I didnt know what to think, as I asked friend for his serial # so we could match the number up to what his box said, and the number didnt match, friend had broken a past psp, by dropping it in a river, and replaced it, and thinks that the serial # that he gave me was his broken psp #.and didnt have the new psp#.

So life goes on, and suddenly I dont see psp anymore, and at some point my son is questioned for stealing a town kids psp, but my son and his friend claim that the kid stole thomas psp, and that thomas didnt have any psp.
Well records at a local video store prove that my son sold a psp to the store with a game that didnt belong to my son. so now he has been sent a notice to show up in court in may to answer to the sale of a Stolen psp.

so now the tale is, is that said boy stole it from my son to begin with, claiming it as his own, and my son took it back. I dont know what to believe.
My son is a little over a month away from graduating, I already spent $300.00 on a jostens package, including invitations for his grad party.
With this comming to light, I wonder if they would put him in jail, not to be able to graduate.

Now this is where the advice I need comes in.
Should I even throw him a grad party, if he is guilty of stealing at all?

WWYD?

Teresa

PF Fiend
Feb 2, 2007
Ohio
Wow....what a complicated story. However, here's my take on the question you ask at the end. To me, the graduation party and the stealing are two separate issues. If he graduates, then the party is to celebrate that, pure and simple. If he is convicted of stealing, the legal system will implement consequences on him for that. He is an adult, and I dont' believe that "punishing" him by taking away recognition for something he accomplished is appropriate.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Teresa said:
Wow....what a complicated story. However, here's my take on the question you ask at the end. To me, the graduation party and the stealing are two separate issues. If he graduates, then the party is to celebrate that, pure and simple. If he is convicted of stealing, the legal system will implement consequences on him for that. He is an adult, and I dont' believe that "punishing" him by taking away recognition for something he accomplished is appropriate.
Well said and I agree.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Teresa said:
Somebody write it down...it's a red letter day....MM and I agree on something! :D
That's been going on alot lately.......What is going on??????????? Who opened pandora's box?:D

kbrand0554

Nov 27, 2007
Thanks for the great advice, I felt the same way.
I just wasnt sure, because he is an adult now,I thought dealing with him may be in stricter ways now, but he is still staying at home yet, until he fulfills his graduation.
He is a bit slower than most kids his age, as it doesnt seem as if he is quite ready for adult lift off, as in moving out on his own.