ATV and MOTORCYCLES for KIDS...

hwnorth

PF Fanatic
Mar 13, 2008
Courtenay BC Canada
ATV's, dirt bikes etc..

How many are for and against ? And why ?

My daughter got her first motorcycle at 5 years old. It had training wheels built for it and from there she learned safe riding, safety gear etc.

Last year (7 years old) she received her first quad ATV. This machine CAN do 50kms .. but she doesnt go this fast.

She has learned that helmets and safety gear etc are a MUST .. ANYTIME you get on a machine. Shes learned balance, control, agility ...to name a few.

Is it dangerous? sure it can be, but so can walking across the street, eating a hot dog too fast and everything else in this life. She enjoys this sport and its special for her to go riding.. especially when her and Dad go out for a day of it.

and ... it keeps her involved in activities other than wanting to watch TV

hwnorth

PF Fanatic
Mar 13, 2008
Courtenay BC Canada
I ride a lot in the sand dunes of USA... and there are many fatalities there as well .. but my question to that is... how many of those are caused by the safe a careful rider... and how many are caused by carelessness due to stupidity ?

There are thousands of cars in accidents on the road every day ... yet we dont fear driving.

I respect your choices ... just making comments

aliinnc

PF Fanatic
Jan 10, 2008
Raleigh NC
My kids won't have them. I have a friend whose son was riding an ATV w/ his cousin. The family had gathered for grandmother's funeral. So my friend is prepping to attend her mother's funeral when word arrives that son has flipped ATV and has massive internal injuries b/c the handlebar stuck him in the abdomen.

She missed funeral to go to hospital. Son almost died. Hospitalized for weeks and has permanent health problems.

Her son wasn't going too fast or being careless; he just misjudged the angle of attack on a hill.

I think the comparison to driving a car is like comparing apples to oranges. OP's child started riding motorcycle at 5. There is a reason you can't get a license until you are 16.

Just my opinion. :)

hwnorth

PF Fanatic
Mar 13, 2008
Courtenay BC Canada
No offense to your friend or their child, as any accident is tragic.

You say the boy wasnt being careless. Im sure experience and training plays a part in this, but as well, I would suggest that he wasnt wearing riding gear. Body armour is designed for exactly this kind of accident

aliinnc

PF Fanatic
Jan 10, 2008
Raleigh NC
I know he was wearing a helmet. But I doubt body armor. Honestly, I've never seen anyone on an ATV in body armor. In fact I rarely see helmets.

That's just my experience. Not trying to comment on what you choose to do...

hwnorth

PF Fanatic
Mar 13, 2008
Courtenay BC Canada
aliinnc said:
I know he was wearing a helmet. But I doubt body armor. Honestly, I've never seen anyone on an ATV in body armor. In fact I rarely see helmets.

That's just my experience. Not trying to comment on what you choose to do...
Thank you, and my comments are not on your choice .. we all have our reasons and I respect that.

Where I live, its law that you must wear a helmet. Being Canadian and riding a lot in the USA, I see much too often, people not wearing helmets or safety gear. I really dont follow this mentality... to me, its not worth the risk ... my life . my daughters life ... friends life etc.

Do I like to "party with the boys"? hell yes.. but AFTER the machines are put away. To me its a shame that a sport that teaches so much, is extremely athletic and so much fun, gets tarnished by many that cant even respect themselves.

Thank you for your feedback

aliinnc

PF Fanatic
Jan 10, 2008
Raleigh NC
Where is Courtenay? I used to live in Grand Forks, and I've traveled a lot in Canada.

As far as helmets, I have one thing to say, 'stupid Yanks!'

Did I get it right? Do they call Americans Yanks in your part of Canada? They did in Manitoba.

They'd say 'you're a Yank'. And I'd answer, 'No, I'm a Southerner." Cause I thought they meant Yankee which is what we call folks from New England. hehe

hwnorth

PF Fanatic
Mar 13, 2008
Courtenay BC Canada
aliinc - Courtenay is on Vancouver Island on the west coast of British Columbia

We generally dont call them Yanks... just stupid. Ive seem 10 year old on high performance machines.. with no helmet or any gear.

My machine will do ~90 mph ... and my daughter can ride it... because she wears ALL her gear, and Ive taught her the dos and donts, and she understands how hard you get bit if you dont follow the rules.

aliinnc

PF Fanatic
Jan 10, 2008
Raleigh NC
I think I've been there. I toured Vancouver Island back in the early 80s on vacation. So beautiful. I asked b/c Courtenay sounded familiar.

Good for you on teaching your daughter. Can't tell you how often I see 9 yo kids riding w/ no protective gear (usually no shirt). Half the time they're riding right beside a highway. Scares me to death when I drive past them.

aliinnc

PF Fanatic
Jan 10, 2008
Raleigh NC
You'll find this interesting:
According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, 40,400 children under age 16 were treated for ATV-related injuries in emergency rooms in 2005, more than twice the figure in 1995. A total of 120 of the kids died from their injuries, nearly double the number in 1995.

About 14 percent of ATV riders are children, but they account for 37 percent of all ATV-related injuries and 38 percent of all ATV-related deaths, Shah says.
This is from CBS. Apparently, you're right about ATVs and Americans. ;)

SpitNCobra13

PF Fanatic
Oct 21, 2007
Upper Midwest
I suppose my comment was slightly hypocritical, since I am a pilot, and there are a lot of airplane crashes. Then again, I know the vast majority of plane crashes are due to pilot error, and so I spend a lot of energy keeping myself safe, which reduces my risk a whole lot.

hwnorth

PF Fanatic
Mar 13, 2008
Courtenay BC Canada
SpitNCobra13 said:
I suppose my comment was slightly hypocritical, since I am a pilot, and there are a lot of airplane crashes. Then again, I know the vast majority of plane crashes are due to pilot error, and so I spend a lot of energy keeping myself safe, which reduces my risk a whole lot.
Your a pilot ? LOL ... I find humor in that .. in a good way..

Although many more ATV crashes than plane .. its based on the same theory... human error.

I hurt myself bad once .. broke ribs, collarbone etc.. I was wearing proper riding gear ... but the problem was me ...I messed up and I knew it .. tried to ride in 120 heat after driving for 18 hours straight .. I hd no energy and I got bit .. hard..... human error