Authorities questioning children at Texas polygamist compound...

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I think it's sick only for the fact there HAS to be incest.
You just reassign a family when a man is exiled? What a load of crap. I think it's sick and wierd.

Mindy

PF Addict
Feb 20, 2008
QC, Canada
Although I do happen to disagree with their lifestyle... I don't think there HAS to be incest. Maybe the probability is higher but it's not a given anymore than it is a given in large families who all live under one roof in some countries. JMO

Yes, it is sick. Yes, they just reassign a new husband. I will never understand it, though I did see a show on it not long ago, on Oprah, there was a man who agreed to be on the show (and that's very rare and even strangely brave of him) He wanted to show people how much he loved his family, every one, and that he would never hurt them (He had 3 wives and 18 children)

asiap2b

Apr 5, 2008
This is plainly religious persecution. Leave them alone! Watch out because anyone can now submit a report that you are abusing your children, and they will instantly be taken away with no questions whatsoever! Stop persecuting religion in the name of protecting children. Any church will contend that children of another church are not being raised right.

asiap2b

Apr 5, 2008
musicmom said:
I think it's sick only for the fact there HAS to be incest.
You just reassign a family when a man is exiled? What a load of crap. I think it's sick and wierd.
You're post doesn't look very morally clean so you don't have any room to talk.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
asiap2b said:
This is plainly religious persecution. Leave them alone! Watch out because anyone can now submit a report that you are abusing your children, and they will instantly be taken away with no questions whatsoever! Stop persecuting religion in the name of protecting children. Any church will contend that children of another church are not being raised right.
I don't think I understand what you are saying...CPS won't just remove children without proof of wrong doing.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
asiap2b said:
Not true. A judge must sign a court order, they cannot just take them at a whim.

In addition, IMO widespread sexual and physical abuse is a pretty good reason to get those children out of there.

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
As a lifestyle I don't have objections to polygamy among adults. What concerns me is when children (young girls) are forced into the lifestyle by their polygamist parents. And I've serious objections to young girls forced to marry or otherwise get sexually involved with men.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
jtee said:
As a lifestyle I don't have objections to polygamy among adults. What concerns me is when children (young girls) are forced into the lifestyle by their polygamist parents. And I've serious objections to young girls forced to marry or otherwise get sexually involved with men.
I totally agree...I could care less what consenting adults choose to do but to Force children into the same lifestyle is just ridiculous.

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
For those interested in the subject of Polygamy consider reading Jon Krakauer's book "<AMAZON id="0385509510" url="http://www.amazon.com/Under-Banner-Heaven-Story-Violent/dp/0385509510">http://www.amazon.com/Under-Banner-Heaven-Story-Violent/dp/0385509510</AMAZON>". Krakauer is the author of Into Thin Air and Into the Wild.

I've read all of his books.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
jtee said:
omg gawd kill me, but I agree with jtee. *going to vomit*:eek:

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
I have no idea what came over me when I posted that comment. I must have lost my mind, gone totally mad. What is stranger than strange now that I look back at all my posts through out the history of time going back to the dark ages, I've been very consistant about objecting to child abuse in all forms. How totally wacko is that!!

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
jtee said:
I have no idea what came over me when I posted that comment. I must have lost my mind, gone totally mad. What is stranger than strange now that I look back at all my posts through out the history of time going back to the dark ages, I've been very consistant about objecting to child abuse in all forms. How totally wacko is that!!
LMAo

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
jtee said:
Seriously, what's with the Alice cat?

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
Yeah, yeah, yeah... I've been following this story since it started.

Looks like they now have a legal and logistical nightmare on their hands...

SAN ANGELO (AP) ― Texas officials who took 416 children from a polygamist retreat into state custody sent many of their mothers away Monday, as a judge and lawyers struggled with a legal and logistical morass in one of the biggest child-custody cases in U.S. history.

cbs11tv.com - Polygamist Mothers Forced To Leave Children In CPS Custody