Baby Cribs...

Katy'sMom

Oct 14, 2012
Hi everybody! :)
I'm getting ready to make my first big baby purchase, our little girl's crib, but I'm stuck between the following 4 cribs:
http://www.babysdream.com/ItemDetail.aspx?pid=26&zip=75002&sid=329[/URL]

http://www.babysdream.com/ItemDetail.aspx?pid=19&zip=75002&sid=329[/URL]

http://www.walmart.com/ip/16576186?adid=22222222227009015401&wmlspartner=wlpa&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=&wl3=18119141470&wl4=&wl5=pla&veh=sem[/URL]

http://www.babysdream.com/ItemDetail.aspx?pid=73&zip=32257&sid=259[/URL]

They all seem to fit my criteria, eco friendly, non-toxic, no MDF, or particle board; the only difference seems to be the pricing.
Which one of these would get your vote?

Thanks in advance for reading this!
B.V

Last edited:

Katy'sMom

Oct 14, 2012
I forgot to include this crib as well: http://www.babysdream.com/ItemDetail.aspx?pid=73&zip=32257&sid=259[/URL]

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
I like the last one you listed in the second post the best.

But my left brain says: its going to have puke poop ect. Its going to be banged on, chewed on, ect. over times. And you will probably want something newer when it comes time for a first real bed. Also there may be some resale on the higher end one's but that really depends on hard use or soft use. Which for you is unknown at this point. So you cant count on that.

My gut says if you can "kick the tires and slam the doors" on the wallmart one first. And if you are happy with that. Its the way to go.

You may be really well off. If your not, Babies get expensive fast.

The things to consider that you may not think about other than safety ect. Your going to be bending in and out a lot. Is it comfortable for you to do that? How easy is it to clean. Are you going to be moving it from time to time. And are you going to try to hang on to it for baby round two?

Since its your first I might pay more if I thought I was going to use it more than once.

Katy'sMom

Oct 14, 2012
Hi there! Do you have any experience with that brand of cribs or is it more of an aesthetic appeal? And thank you so much for your reply you've given me a lot to think about. :)

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
I have to give a disclaimer, I have only ever bought 3 cribs in my life. Two were used maybe twice between the two of them. I am a co-sleeper, and only have a pack in play for when a little one needs to sleep during the day.

All of the cribs are nice, the last one in the second post seems nice, but I had two friends who got those and they never made it to the teen years. Cribs tend to be abused by their little patrons, so by the time a child was 9/10 they were ready for a new one.

The Walmart one is adorable...but it's a mini so it's a cross between a full sized crib and say a pack and play. They are great but in many cases are outgrown before the child is really ready to be out of their crib. That's unless you have a climber...then it doesn't really matter.

Lastly, while all of those are great, they are expensive and unless you are having a passel of kids and plan to hold onto it for your grandchildren (by then the rules will be different) find yourself something a little less expensive and put the extra money into a better car seat or college education.

Katy'sMom

Oct 14, 2012
Hello again,
Thank you so much for your realism. I tend to get a little over enthusiastic when baby shopping. I was actually interested in co-sleeping but my younger sister passed away at one month of SIDs so I"ve been a bit over cautious. I understand you don't have extensive knowledge of the cribs on the market but do you possible have any more affordable options for a crib? And I was also looking at the full size verison of the crib found here: http://www.wayfair.com/DaVinci-Emily-4-in-1-Convertible-Crib-with-Toddler-Rail-in-Natural-M4791N-L371-K~DV1315.html?refid=GX8033455260-DV1315&gclid=CMCrkKGYgrMCFad7QgodMRoA1g[/URL]

or perhaps you have some thoughts to offer on co-sleeping? I"m just trying to explore the least toxic and most wallet friendly options.

Thanks again.
B.V

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
That crib is adorable and a good price. If a crib is your route then that would be a really good choice.

My oldest is 21 years old, and when I started co-sleeping it was out of necessity, especially when his younger sister came 11 month later. If I wanted any sleep (I do not believe in CIO) then sharing a bed with them was the best choice.

It wasn't until I started having the younger children that I really started to look into the research. I was glad to know that my instincts were more spot on then I ever knew. You mention SIDS, that never happens in co-sleeping. The belief is that babies will regulate their breathing to their parents, that parents tend to be more in-tuned to their infants and wake when something is 'off'.

Here's the disclaimer, if someone sleeps like the dead they should not consider co-sleeping. Most deaths of co-sleeping infants is due to the parent. Usually drinking, or certain medications. Make sure to do the research on safe co-sleeping habits.

My best advice that I give to new parents is to do what feels right. If co-sleeping feels right after the baby comes then go with it. If it doesn't then it's okay to do it another way, many times babies will let you know what they need and there is nothing wrong with following their lead.

Katy'sMom

Oct 14, 2012
Hello again.
Thank you so much! I do feel a little silly for being so over concerned with co-sleeping. It was actually something I wanted to try myself but I wasnt' sure if it would be the right move for me and the baby. I honestly can't see something so tiny being placed in a crib right at first. My original plan was to swaddle her and have her co-sleeping with my fiance and I. Are there any co-sleeping bassinets you would recommend? And on the note of the crib, I definitely agree. It looks very roomy, comfortable and most of all functional. I'm going to make a quick trip to the store to test it out and see but I"m pretty confident in that decision as I honestly don't want to have to pony up $600.00 for something that wouldn't be worthwhile in the long run.

B.V

Katy'sMom

Oct 14, 2012
To clarify- I have researched co-sleeping pretty heavily my only mental block was the thought of a SIDs related death however as I stated, I was thinking of co-sleeping with her for until about 3-6 months and then having her placed in the crib.

LorroVan

Dec 7, 2012
London
Katy'sMom said:
Hello again.
Thank you so much! I do feel a little silly for being so over concerned with co-sleeping. It was actually something I wanted to try myself but I wasnt' sure if it would be the right move for me and the baby. I honestly can't see something so tiny being placed in a crib right at first. My original plan was to swaddle her and have her co-sleeping with my fiance and I. Are there any co-sleeping bassinets you would recommend? And on the note of the crib, I definitely agree. It looks very roomy, comfortable and most of all functional. I'm going to make a quick trip to the store to test it out and see but I"m pretty confident in that decision as I honestly don't want to have to pony up $600.00 for something that wouldn't be worthwhile in the long run.

B.V
Its such a big decision to make with so many emotional implications so don't feel silly, its only natural. Its more important for you to feel comfortable mentally as if your nerves are frayed, you're just going to worry more. I'd say test out the cribs, research the different options available to you in terms of a comforter set, pillows and mattresses and just work out the right fit for you. You have to do whats right for you, and I'm sure you will. Good luck!