baby gates...

button611

PF Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2008
I was wondering what everyone has found as the best baby gate as far as safety and use, also I am looking for one that is pressure mounted as our railings are irregular and I really don't want to screw into them. The other concern we have is we need to have a way to put a small opening in it for our little brain damaged kitty ( he really is brain damaged, not a joke), since he cannot jump over the gates. I was looking at one that was from Evenflo that was fabric, thinking I could sew a small opening into it. Any ideas or suggestions as to what we can use?

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
sorry I don't. We have only one and its a wall mounted one. We have had it for years as its for the dogs not the baby

budnkota

PF Fanatic
Mar 28, 2008
Indiana
what factors are most important to you? Hard plastic will be much more durable, espec if kitty scratches at it. I'd be a little concerned about putting it against a railing, depending on what kind it is....

I have one I bought from Walmart for probably $15 or so - it's pressure, with the hardware to wall mount if you want. It's a really strong plastic, and is easy to open one handed (always important!) You'd be able to cut a hole in it for kitty with some heavy duty, garage type scissors (you'd probably have to sand the edges of the cut)

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
We used and loved Kidco metal gates. VERY sturdy, in fact, I passed them on to my BIL/SIL, who also love them. We had 4 cats at the time, and although none of them were brain damaged, the smaller ones simply squeezed between the rails and the adult cats easily jumped over them.

Kidco, Inc. - Safety Gates

HoustonDad

Apr 13, 2008
We used this gate for several years. It is a great gate. I mounted this in 2 different houses. One on the top of the steps. Like you, I didn't want to drill holes in my stair railing. So instead, I mounted this on a 2" x 1" board. I Drilled holes through the board and then attached the gate to the board with zip ties. Sounds confusing but isn't too bad. I wish I had a picture to show you.

Check out the gate:
Struck Reviews: Lascal KiddyGuard Baby Gate

HoustonDad

Apr 13, 2008
I also agree with Trina. We also had a Kidco gate that was very durable and very easy to operate.