Bad Words...

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
How old is he? Kids usually echo what they hear. If adults around them don't swear, that's a BIG help.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I agree it depends on the age. When my son was old enough to know about the bible and God I told him that everything he does in life gets written in the "book of life" so when he finally does get to heaven that God will look into his book and he will be judged on the things he's done.
So if my son says something not nice I just look at him and say "ohhhhh that might go into the book" and he's quick to say "I'm sorry" so he really watches how he speaks and he makes it a point to do good things so his book will be full of good things.

ljmahr

PF Fiend
Oct 16, 2007
My hubby has a VERY bad habit of saying bad words when he is trying to fix something and gets frustrated and he has realized how easy they pick that up. So now everytime he starts getting a bit frustrated with something I take them in another room or even outside, lol.
When they would repeat it, we just told them it was a nice word to say. Depends on the age, like my 19 month old only repeats right then. My 2 1/2 yr. old has been known to say it more. When we tell her that's a bad word and she will get in trouble she stops.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
My youngest brother (8) responds the best to "that hurts my feelings" and "that really bother's me when you say it" better than telling him it's bad and he'll get in trouble. I don't know why. It works I guess when you say that it's bad and stuff but he feels bad when you tell him it hurts your feelings and it's mean. :)

.:Kalli Rae:.

PF Fiend
Apr 18, 2008
Rapid City SD
I explain to my kids that there are some words they can say when they are adults. Kid words and Adult words. It seems to work pretty well. They know if they say the adult words they will get in trouble, if talking doesn't work then they get soap in the mouth.</SIZE>[/FONT]

Teresa

PF Fiend
Feb 2, 2007
Ohio
When mine were young and used "bad words" I just told them there were some words that are not acceptable in our house or our family, and that they were not to use them. For the most part, at a very young age, ignoring them, so they don't get the reaction they are looking for, makes the usage stop.

MaggiesMommy

May 1, 2008
SC
That is a great idea!!

musicmom said:
I agree it depends on the age. When my son was old enough to know about the bible and God I told him that everything he does in life gets written in the "book of life" so when he finally does get to heaven that God will look into his book and he will be judged on the things he's done.
So if my son says something not nice I just look at him and say "ohhhhh that might go into the book" and he's quick to say "I'm sorry" so he really watches how he speaks and he makes it a point to do good things so his book will be full of good things.

Anna78

PF Enthusiast
Jul 8, 2007
London, UK
I try and avoid saying any 'bad' words in front of my children, because I don't want them saying them. However, if they did say them, I would tell them that they are words for adults and that they must never say them or it would get them in huge trouble