Balancing Act...

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
Good Luck!

You're asking a lot though...

You're pretty much trying to undo a lifetime of conditioning.

Women are taught by their moms to do the mom stuff. Men are taught that too. It's handed down from generation to generation.

Kim

PF Fiend
Apr 3, 2007
St. Louis, MO
True. However, he is 31. If it takes him even his entire lifetime more to condition him to clean up after himself, then by the time I have grandchildren I will not have to worry about them coming over and finding his underwear on the bathroom floor. And although that does not help me now, I am sure I will appreciate that in 30 years, lol

BethInAK

PF Enthusiast
Feb 17, 2008
Anchorage, AK
hannah's mommy said:
True. However, he is 31. If it takes him even his entire lifetime more to condition him to clean up after himself, then by the time I have grandchildren I will not have to worry about them coming over and finding his underwear on the bathroom floor. And although that does not help me now, I am sure I will appreciate that in 30 years, lol

You should keep at it. At about 60 my father actually started doing laundry and dishes.

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
BethInAK said:
You should keep at it. At about 60 my father actually started doing laundry and dishes.
Late in life, my father did the same. He also learned how to vacuum (not exactly rocket science, but - boy! - is he proud of himself) and how to warm food in the microwave (early on I stopped him from zapping something in a metal bowl).

In the 10-year course of our marriage, I've taught my husband to spray down the shower after he is done, rinse the sink after he brushes his teeth, and separate the whites from the colors. He has taught me to...give me a sec, I'm sure there's something...pack the car's trunk more efficiently, mark and file all paid bills, and buy an army's worth of toilet paper and paper towels at one time. Who knows? By 20 years he might actually clean something and I might actually....Nah, I will still be doing most of the cleaning and cooking, and he will still have a functional blindness when it comes to mess, dirty dishes, soiled linens, and dust. Let's get real. :D

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
FooserX said:
Good Luck!

Women are taught by their moms to do the mom stuff. Men are taught that too. It's handed down from generation to generation.
That's not true. I was not "conditioned" by my mother. So I think that statement is inaccurate. :)

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
musicmom said:
That's not true. I was not "conditioned" by my mother. So I think that statement is inaccurate. :)

So when you were married, your husband did the majority of the housework?

EHB

PF Enthusiast
Jan 24, 2008
California and New Jersey
FooserX said:
Good Luck!

You're asking a lot though...

You're pretty much trying to undo a lifetime of conditioning.

Wow, I'm lucky then, I suppose. My mother always worked and we always had a maid.

:D

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
FooserX said:
So when you were married, your husband did the majority of the housework?
He did housework. If he saw something that needed done then he would do it.
I mostly did it because I had my days free so all I asked that he took out the trash and mowed the yard.
But when he moved out I took up all that.

I was never taught that men were supposed to do this and woman do that. I pretty much figured you were a team when you lived together. If my man is going to bust his butt all day for me to stay at home then yes, I am going to the majority of the housework.
When I worked and he stayed home then HE needed to do the house work.

BethInAK

PF Enthusiast
Feb 17, 2008
Anchorage, AK
FooserX said:
Good Luck!

My mom was very much before her time. She turns 70 next month.
She did do the mom stuff but she taught us better.
I remember I was at the kitchen table doing homework. My mother was washing dishes.
She said "Beth, when you grow up and live with your boyfriend or get married you make sure that you don't get in the habit of doing all the housework. when your dad was in graduate school he was very busy and I felt sorry for him so i took care of all the cooking, cleaning and laundry and i've been stuck with it ever since"

I never forgot it and never dated a man like dad. my husband does more than his share.

LOL I remember she also told me that if she had known she didn't have to take my dads name she never would have.

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
My mom has always raised us to take care of our men. However, now that all of us kids are out of the house, she sees just how messy my dad really is. So, she tried cleaning up after him for a bit, and then she decided to teach him to clean up after himself. Or tried to, rather. He still won't do it. lol

Kim

PF Fiend
Apr 3, 2007
St. Louis, MO
Oh that reminds me!

Mike brought a dirty cup to the kitchen yesterday! We are improving!

Now of course he had to ask me what he was supposed to do with it.....so it would seem we still have a ways to go.

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
I'm really disappointed in you Kim.

You had it all within your grasp!

And you just...

*opens hand and watches the dust fly away*