baths and showers while sick...

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
dh and i grew up both grew up hearing that you do not give a child a shower or bath while they are sick unless one is needed to help lower high temps. my parents are always reminding us not to give the girls one and just about everyone we've ever talked to has said the same thing.

does anyone know if there is any ?truth? to this "old wives tale"?

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
I've never heard this one. Sounds like an old wives tale. Baths/showers can actually temporarily relieve some symptoms (ex: congestion) and soothes body aches and pains. If my kids are sick and they feel up to a bath or shower they get one. I know when I'm sick a bath/shower makes me feel better and even makes it easier for me to sleep afterwards.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I've never heard that before.

And as long as I can remember, everyone I know (including my mom) has always given their kids a nice warm bath to help them feel better. Heck, I still take a bath when I don't feel well. Eli does the same. Like Trina said, the hot steam clears up congestion and the warm water soothes aches and pains and its very relaxing and comforting.

What is their reasoning for suggesting you don't bathe your kids while they're sick? What do they think will happen if you do?

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
I'm guessing the whole this is if they had a high fever, like 102, 103 then giving them a 105 bath (which is easily in the range of very warm bath temps) then you could push them into danger. Just like when DW was preggers and they said no baths over 100. I used a pool thermometer to draw her baths and 100 is cooler than you think. If a kid has a cold I wouldn't worry about it, a nice warm, not too hot bath, should be relieving, but I'm guessing that's where the caution comes from.

Nes

PF Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2009
Canada
We're both sick & right now a good hot shower does wonders for relieving a little mucous. Actually Lucas has had two nice long showers some days - I'd definitely say this is an old wives tale :D.

On the showering to relieve a fever: we found out about a month ago how NOT fun that is with a toddler! but he was 102 and mommy wasn't taking no for an answer (thankfully he was really tired and couldn't fight it too much).

BenDavis503

PF Enthusiast
Mar 9, 2008
Portland, OR
Never heard of this! Exact opposite is what I heard!

Since babies under 4 cannot use cold medicine, my doc tells me if my son has a cold to give him a hot bath! I did it and the mucus poured out and he could breathe a lot better!

Whenever I was sick as a kid, my mother gave me a nice hot bath! It felt great!

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
:no:it don't make sense does it. must be a backwoods out in the boondocks sort of thing.

dh and i tend to lean the way ya'll do giving the kids warm baths or showers to help them feel better and open things up but making sure to dry the kiddos' hair. we do it for ourselves too though for me it just takes whatever energy i got left outta me.
we've always done the lukewarm/cool baths for fevers never thinking about that but my mom mentioned it the other day and i just thought it'd be interesting to hear other folks thoughts on it.
this reminds me of another one...soon to follow...:yes:

thanks ya'll

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
dh--dear hubby.
there's a list here somewhere...

common parenting abbreviations.
http://www.parentingforums.org/f19/commonly-used-parenting-abbreviations-7287.html[/URL]

and another link with some of the same but some different ones too.
http://www.parentingforums.org/f19/parentingforums-org-acronyms-abbreviation-compilation-8312.html[/url]

BenDavis503

PF Enthusiast
Mar 9, 2008
Portland, OR
cool thanks!

Is there one for "multiple time cheating wife who left her husband and son who wanted to be with her"?

lol

(I guess I still am holding a grudge for that one lol, but at least I can laugh about it now.)

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
LOL BenDavis, aww I'm sorry buddy haha. :p We'll kick her butt for you.

I was always told dh stood for "darling husband" but either way, you get the drift. Then ds would be "darling son" etc. I actually never use those abbreviations, but many people on this forum do.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
BenDavis503 said:
cool thanks!

Is there one for "multiple time cheating wife who left her husband and son who wanted to be with her"?

lol

(I guess I still am holding a grudge for that one lol, but at least I can laugh about it now.)

I think there is a term for that...let's see I seem to remember it rhyming with "witch"....

as for the bath thing, I'm sticking with my thoughts that it depends on how high the fever is and how hot of a bath. If a kid has a really high fever you don't want to stick them in a near scalding bath, a kid with a head cold in a nice warm bath excellent.

I'm reminded of the parents I knew who decided it was a good idea to plunge their very high fevered child suddenly into an ice bath. Luckily the chidl did recover from shock.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
BenDavis503 said:
cool thanks!

lol

Major BUMMER! Yea, sometimes you have to laugh at the curve balls life can throw. On the bright side, you got your precious son out of that deal. :)

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Xero said:
I was always told dh stood for "darling husband" but either way, you get the drift. Then ds would be "darling son" etc. I actually never use those abbreviations, but many people on this forum do.
Actually, those acronyms are used on most parenting boards. I've belonged to many over the years. (I'm feeling old.)

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Trina said:
Actually, those acronyms are used on most parenting boards. I've belonged to many over the years. (I'm feeling old.)
Oh I know. I belong to one other parenting board that I'm not on too often cause it wont load for me on dial-up (which you happen to belong to as well LOL), and I have tested out a few others and they all use them. :)

You're not old!!!!!!!!!

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Xero said:
Oh I know. I belong to one other parenting board that I'm not on too often cause it wont load for me on dial-up (which you happen to belong to as well LOL), and I have tested out a few others and they all use them. :)

You're not old!!!!!!!!!

Thanks! I've been on Mommy/parenting boards since DS was an infant. He's now 13. Wow... :eek: