Because I Said So...

unmanaged

PF Enthusiast
Jan 26, 2008
I also remember hating when my parents wouldn't explain why I had to go to school. It is like telling one of us to go stay in the raing for a while, but without giving a reason.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
unmanaged said:
I also remember hating when my parents wouldn't explain why I had to go to school. It is like telling one of us to go stay in the raing for a while, but without giving a reason.
You asked them that and seriously did not know the answer? Were you two? Not being mean just wondering how you didn't know.

SuperMario

Banned
Aug 14, 2007
How would one know the answer if never taught? Yes some might catch on and realize why but not everyone would.

musicmom said:
You asked them that and seriously did not know the answer? Were you two? Not being mean just wondering how you didn't know.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I don't know I guess I knew by the time I was in school at five why I was there. If you are in daycare maybe then I could see but school school?

unmanaged

PF Enthusiast
Jan 26, 2008
musicmom said:
I don't know I guess I knew by the time I was in school at five why I was there. If you are in daycare maybe then I could see but school school?
Oh yes, I did not enjoy school very much, which is probably key. I guess it was just hard for me to see the benefits of something like school, especially because it took up so much of my time.

SuperMario

Banned
Aug 14, 2007
I enjoyed school. I always have. Not like in an obsessive kind of way. I'd still rather snowboard or play video games but I like learning and knowing things. I hate ignorance.

Teresa

PF Fiend
Feb 2, 2007
Ohio
I think the reason "because I said so" has always worked here is because I use it sparingly. I've used it MAYBE twice with each of my three children. Sometimes there are just situations where there's no more room for discussion or no further need of explanation, and the only way to put an end to it is to invoke "because I said so, end of discussion."

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
Music: not all kids are set up to like school. Parents do not think its needed to get a child excited about learning. That is not the child's fault but the parents

unmanaged

PF Enthusiast
Jan 26, 2008
I know. I had a lot of things that I liked to do. School seemed to always get in the way of my life.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
unmanaged said:
I know. I had a lot of things that I liked to do. School seemed to always get in the way of my life.
so how do you handle this with your own children?

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I liked school alot up until middle school. Hated middle and high school. Loved college and vocational schools.
I loved learning and figuring things out. When the socialization started in middle school it was too clicky for me. I hung with a totally different crowd (the rockers) . My kids like school. I hope they always like it. I hope, I hope.