Best way to boost a child's immune system...

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
How does one boost a pre-schooler's immune system?

My DD goes to pre-school five days a week. As everyone knows pre-schools/day care centres are a breeding ground for colds and flu and other contagious illnesses. So how do I boost her immune system so that she will have maximum resistance? I know about vitamin C - she's on some kiddie-vitamins that consist mostly of Vitamin C, but is there more I can do?

Any advice will be appreciated!

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
We prevent that by not sending our children to nursery and by booby feeding them, obviously you can't do that.

Here, if children have colds etc they have to be symptom free for 24 hours (or 48 for the runs) before they can go back to nursery, so maybe you could shop around to find a nursery that doesn't allow ill children to attend until they are healthy again? Or you could look in to getting a nanny or au pair.

I know, they don't boost your immune system, but I don't think there is really anything that will genuinely do that, as until they have caught the cold etc, they're not going to have protection against it.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
I'd say sending her to pre-school is the best way to build the immune system. The best way to help her not be sick too often is to really teach and practice good handwashing, that's what keeps docttors remarkably healthy given the number of sick people they encounter.

xox.ilu.xox

PF Addict
Dec 17, 2009
Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada
Our daughter isn't old enough for preschool, but we have never been overly crazy about germs, and hayleigh has NEVER had a serious cold. She has had the flu probably about twice, but once was because we had it, and once I think was from travelling a long distance. I'd say just proper hand washing and her taking her vitamins should do the trick.

Antoinette

PF Addict
Mar 2, 2010
Australia
sending them to preschool is a good way, let them get the colds and minor illnesses the first time and when the worse ones come around there immune system will protect them from it.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
Thanks guys, though I have to admit I this isn't the answers I wanted. I guess if this is all there is to it, I'll just have to deal with it. :(

Christine

Aug 6, 2010
All the advices are great. I'm against synthetic vitamins - they're no good, but advertisment. You can also try such a mix as dried appricots, raisins, walnut, honey. You just mix everything in a meat grinder or blender. When I was a child I liked the mix very much, cause it's pretty sweety. My 2 year old DD doesn't love it - I don't know why

ElliottCarasDad

PF Addict
Sep 10, 2008
Iowa
My kids are pretty good at boosting their own immune system. Whenever we go to a store they are always chewing on the cart or putting the safety straps in their mouth. When we go to a park they lick wherever convenient and if they see a piece of discarded trash they have no problem putting it in their mouth to see what it was.

maryZswanson

Aug 8, 2010
Washington State
You could try adding a little zinc with her vitaminc. But it's best to just let her go through it. My daughter missed every other week when she was in kindergarden, then a little less every consecutive year because I never let her get exposed. It wasn't until 4th grade that she misses only a handful of days in a year. Her pediatrician said that each time she gets sick she gains some more immunity. I hate that she missed all that school - if I had only known! :rolleyes:

Dale Simmons

Jul 13, 2010
Yes, step into any school classroom and there's always a few kids coughing and wheezing.
Bust short of hiding from humanity, bugs, colds and flus are an occupational hazard of life!

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
Thanks for the advice guys!

I've also always subscribed by the "just let her go through it" phylosophy, but right now I need her to not bring home any bugs... at least for three months or so. <sigh> guess that ain't gonna happen, right? Unless I take her out of school, and I really don't want to do that. So I'm making her wash her hands a lot, and feeding her lots of fruit and veg. Not much more I can do, it seems...

lola

PF Regular
Jul 15, 2010
Make sure she gets enough sleep to boost her immune system. Children in day care are particularly at risk for sleep deprivation because all the activity can make it difficult for them to nap. If your child cant take nap during the day make her go to bed early.

ABC Nightline

Banned
Aug 16, 2010
<r><FONT font="Calibri"><s></s><B><s></s><COLOR color="black"><s></s>Do Your Kids Hate To Eat Vegetables?<e></e></COLOR><e></e></B><e></e></FONT><br/>
&lt;FONT font="Calibri"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;&lt;I&gt;&lt;s&gt;<I>&lt;/s&gt;&lt;COLOR color="black"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;"Nightline" broadcast.&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;e&gt;</I>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/I&gt;&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;COLOR color="black"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;ABC News&lt;I&gt;&lt;s&gt;<I>&lt;/s&gt; Nightline&lt;e&gt;</I>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/I&gt; is looking for parents who have tried everything, but just can’t get their kids to eat their vegetables. Individuals would have an on camera meeting with &lt;I&gt;&lt;s&gt;<I>&lt;/s&gt;Iron Chef America&lt;e&gt;</I>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/I&gt; star chef Cat Cora who would help your kids learn to love veggies of all kinds. Sign up details coming soon!&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/COLOR]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;/r&gt;

StanfordMed

Oct 13, 2010
Proper nutrition, sleep and hydration are all very important for the immune system. However, what is especially important is to make sure your child is caught up with all vaccinations recommended by your physician.

Geethika

Nov 2, 2010
It said that natural food helps to boost immune system. Garlic is one of the excellent food material that is available to boost immune system .

Healthcare And Pharma Forum: