Bicycle Helmet issue...hates the chin strap....

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
Ok so last summer it wasn't much of an issue, but for some reason last weekend, K kinda freaked out (crying) when I tried to do the strap on her helmet. I told her if it's not done up, she can't try her new bike....she just opted out and walked away.....darn.

I will admit that once....3 years ago she did get pinched when I was doing up the clip, but that day forward she reminded me everytime to "be careful not to pinch" - hahahaha

Anyhoo, today we went Underground in a mining display with her class...rule was...if you try on a Hard Hat and look up, and it falls off, you wear a Bike Helmet, or return to the surface (it was 95 feet down, but there were tunnels). she cried for about 15 seconds, and was cool with wearing it like an English Guard, below her lip, but above the chin.

I did try to explain to her, that if you just try it for a while, you will eventually just forget it's even there....no dice, she actually said " I want to know it's there" *cue invisible tears*- hahaha, that's my girl...dramatic when she needs to be - hahaha

She was ok, and I did see her get into the surroundings a few times and let it slip, forget about it for 2 or 3 mins, and then brought it back up over the chin....

Please help, she hates things against her chin or throat (like a turtle neck, or high zipper on a coat, or top button)

But, the funny thing is, I hate that too ...(I can and will wear a tie, but it pisses me off with every fibre of my being).....so what can I do?.

Father_0f_7

PF Addict
Aug 19, 2008
F.I., Florida
It sounds like it's just a phase...maybe you could just wait and see what happens for a week or two and go from there.

P.S. I hate ties also, but I hate them so much...I dont wear them. I kind of wear them to church but I really just hang it over my neck without tying it. It chokes me...just knowing it's there chokes me lol

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
Father_0f_6 said:
It sounds like it's just a phase...maybe you could just wait and see what happens for a week or two and go from there.

P.S. I hate ties also, but I hate them so much...I dont wear them. I kind of wear them to church but I really just hang it over my neck without tying it. It chokes me...just knowing it's there chokes me lol
I hope, maybe I can take her out and try some new ones out there, see if there's one she really likes even if fo a simple thing like graphics.

Yup, I hear ya there....I get invited to a wedding, I start "stretching the neck" all the way there, the minute I'm out of the church, it's off....and that almost always makes me the ringleader, and in the distance I hear "well HE did it".....

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
my daughter went through the same thing, she hates anything touching her neck as well. But eventually she wanted to ride her bike bad enough she just delt with it. Now she doesn't even notice it's there. Just be consistant with her and let her know there's no way she can ride her bike until she learns to wear her helmet correctly.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
two things, 1) sounds like a phase and partially a personal choice thing, just like you and others who hates something under their chin, it just bugs her. Like everyone else said, if she wants to ride then she'll figure out how to deal with it.

2) I hate putting helmets on kids. I've pinched them, it's hard to get the chin strap adequately tight and get it snapped. when it's your own it's easier. So, why hasn't somebody tackled the problem of comfort and ease of wearing? seems like there could be a different, more cofortable strap invented as well as a different clasping method.

Okay inventers - get going!!

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
know it's annoying when something like that bugs ya. but in this case--its our way or the highway with the girls. they either use the helmets or don't get to ride the bikes when they do get to ride them.

but check into a different kind of helmet--different design sort of thing. it'd be worth the looksee.

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
She's almost 5.5 (born November 03)

And btw, that's her usual helmet, I didn't need to find another, I just convinced her she would eventually forget it's even there....and she did.