Billy's Breakdown...

Father_0f_7

PF Addict
Aug 19, 2008
F.I., Florida
Billy finally had a breakdown about his diabetes diagnosis yesterday. His diagnosis day was 9-19-09. I think it's odd it took him this long but I guess it makes sense. I guess he saw everyone worrying about him (including Amber and I) and he thought he had to be strong for everyone else....ok, i've been there I get it.

It was just really hard hearing him say some of the things he said so we (Amber, Billy and I) decided it would be best for him to go to counselling for a while to help him cope.

Its just SO hard right now. The diagnosis was a bombshell but we thought he had just decided to deal with it. I guess we knew he was still really hurting over it, we all are. Now hearing him just totally break down to the point of crying for an hour and a half and saying he wishes he was never born it just insane. He's always been so happy, even after diabetes.

We just don't know what to do. It's like our whole family is a train wreck. We have a near disaster, get through it, then BAM another one.

On a good note, Dane decided he's going to Naval Academy.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
That's really rough...poor kid!

Counseling sounds like a good idea....was there anything that triggered the response or was it out of the blue?

Father_0f_7

PF Addict
Aug 19, 2008
F.I., Florida
It was kind of just out of the blue. He was checking his blood sugar this morning and it was a little high (literally only 2 numbers away from normal) and he just went crazy.

I think it's been building up for quite a while. He's more like me than either of us care to admit. We don't really show people what we're really feeling. Only show people 10% of who we really are.

I think it kind of just overwhelmed him for too long and he couldn't handle it anymore.

Father_0f_7

PF Addict
Aug 19, 2008
F.I., Florida
We are meeting with a lot of psychologists on monday to see which one Billy likes. We aren't sure whether or not it would be just him, or all three of us or him and I, or Amber and him..you get it. I guess whichever situation Billy is more comfortable with.

Does anyone have any experiance in this area. Children going to psychologists? For whatever reason, not necessarily because of diabetes.

xox.ilu.xox

PF Addict
Dec 17, 2009
Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada
awe poor billy, and poor you guys :( I couldn't even imagine. I hear ya with one train wreck after the other!! Hopefully everything gets better soon!

And grats on Dane deciding to go to Naval Academy. Following in his daddy's footsteps??

Father_0f_7

PF Addict
Aug 19, 2008
F.I., Florida
Yep, that's what it looks like.

They've been looking at him for about a year and offered him an "early baseball scholorship". Meaning as long as he keeps his grades up, and continues playing baseball as well as he has been, he's GUARANTEED to get into Naval Academy and be on the baseball team.

He seems really excited about it and keeps saying it's what he want's to do so I guess we'll see what happens. I'm trying not to push him either way because obviously I want him to go to my Alma Mater but I don't want him to go just because of me lol. I am staying neutral!

Aunt

PF Fanatic
Nov 4, 2007
I think this sounds normal. It is more common for boys to act like things are normal and bottle it up. I am a therapist and i dont work specifically with kids anymore but i used to do family work. Shopping around with him for the right person to talk to is a good idea. Therapists are a bit like suits, you need to try a few on to find the right fit. As a shrink myself i would advise for a kid this age letting him talk to the therapist alone and then they may decide together to talk to you and amber separately or the three of you as a unit. This is an issue of him coming to terms with a big life change and grieving some losses (mainly in lifestyle) I would get someone who specializes in adolescents and who is sensitive to billy's volatile family history.
Congrats to Dane. He must be 1 smart guy to get into Naval academy.