Birthday Gift fo 4 year old boy....

BrownDog52469

Jan 11, 2011
A dear friend of mine is an amazing single mother who works hard and does a fantastic job at raising her son. He will turn 4 this month. I've always given him a present to unwrap for christmas and a "nice" giftcard so that regardless of finances mom could make christmas extra special (or save it for his birthday). Each year I have gotten him a really nice gift for his birthday (rocking horse; train table and trains; art easel and supplies). This year I am at a loss; here are my ideas so far:

1. LGB train set (very nice electric train set) and very good for children as far as train sets go.

2. A whole mess of quality wooden building blocks and a block wagon to put them away in (mom likes to keep a clean house).

What do you think would be better for a four year old? ...any other ideas?

BrownDog52469

Jan 11, 2011
Buzz Lightyear is his favorite. That's what I got him for Christmas. Last year I got him a nice Art Easel and all the goodies to go with it for his birthday. In my experience, Legos are a little advanced for a 4 year old. Is he too old for building blocks? ...too young for a real electric train?

TabascoNatalie

PF Addict
Jun 1, 2009
England and somewhere else
there is a wide range of legos. Duplos (big blocks) are designed especially for smaller kids (under 3's). regular legos (like City series) are 3+. so maybe not too advanced for a 4yo.
electric train set -- i think maybe he's too young. maybe a wooden train set instead? there are such nice ones

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
I have found that regular lego can be a bit fiddly for four year olds, especially pulling it apart, and half of it ends up lost within a couple of weeks.

The thing about electrical trains is if they run on batteries, he will want them replaced quite often or to get rechargeable ones, if it is wired then he wouldn't be able to play alone incase he used the socket himself.

BrownDog52469

Jan 11, 2011
I'm not thinking Legos, but rather a big set of quality wooden building blocks and a "block wagon" to store the. The train would require mom to plug it into the wall socket.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
I like the building blocks idea. The electric train I would hold off on though 9/10 would be a better age.

i currently have a 4 year old, well I have had a few 4 year olds but most stuff tends to run the same no matter which boy it was.

Mine have always been into Legos, the kits are great if there is someone there to help build them and to prevent the falling apart and loosing pieces problem they can be glued together once it is built.

Imaginex (I think that is what it is called) is also a great idea. If he is into castle/dinosaurs/pirates they have nice sized castles/islands with accessories that can entertain for hours.

The Leap frog gaming systems are nice if he hasn't already been introduced to the wonderful world of video games and they are very educational.

I know there is more but that is what is coming to mind at the moment.

BrownDog52469

Jan 11, 2011
I think I should leave it to mom's discretion whether he's ready for a video game. Lego sets' are too advanced and pieces will be lost and models fall apart. I'll look at Duplo and Imaginex although the building blocks seem like something he can use without help from mom and for a long time to come.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
The building blocks is a good idea! And the Imaginex is also one he can do unassisted. Duplo are great but I find mine loose interest in those pretty fast.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I like the idea of the train set. :) I know even at 3, my boy is definitely old enough and totally ready for an electric train set its just that I don't know where to put one right now so we're holding off. He does have one of the Thomas the Train railway setups though, its pretty big and the trains run all over it but its not as nice as one of the ones you are talking about. My three year old would definitely do better with an electric train set than with a wooden train set. He is too old for the wooden types, those are better for baby hands that don't need to worry about pressing buttons or figuring out operations IMO. A four year old would like one, but would get bored with it kinda quickly probably. I would go with an electric train set, really cool present for sure.

BrownDog52469

Jan 11, 2011
I bought him a wooden train table and train set for his second birthday. I was all but decided on the blocks and cart. Now I'm thinking about the train again. Hmmmmm.......maybe save the train until next year?

Beautiful picture by the way.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
lol sorry for making you think twice. I bet anything he'd be happy with either idea! I am biased of course because my son adores trains so I know he specifically would love that. I bet the train will be just as exciting next year for sure. :) And thank you!

Aussie Barb

PF Regular
Sep 27, 2010
Sydney Australia
I know 4 seems a bit little, but over the last several years, I've found the best gifts seem to be 'experiences'. For a 4 year old, a visit to the zoo, seeing a live concert aimed at this age group eg a children's singing/dancing group (in Australia we have the Wiggles who, I think tour the world!), a pantomime or going to a Baby Prom concert that introduces children to classical music.

My children really have a store of special memories from these gifts. They don't have to be expensive and the memory lasts a long time. They can unwrap the tickets, they have the build up to the actual day, getting ready with Mum or Mum's special friend, travel to the event and enjoy the actual event. When they are ltttle, taking pictures to remind them of the day is super too. Both my children absolutey love these pressies, which I give for Christmas and birthdays. It's also fun searching (the internet is great here) for something special each year. Have fun!

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
My DS2 is 4, and he was prettty intrigued by the train under the tree this year. It didn't work well for him , sinc eit was small and easily de-railed, so he couldn't really "play" with it, but if it's one that's intended for his age that would be great.

The other thing he's nuts for right now are "hex bugs", but they require someone else to build the "track", but once built it's pretty self sustaining.

superrod2010

PF Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2010
Utah
I like the blocks due to the creative factor. My boy is 7 and still plays with them some times (although legos are his big thing) I think the blocks are a great way to go.

It is true that the traditional legos may be too small but the mega blocks would be another good option.

superman

PF Fiend
Aug 23, 2010
Canada
i think the train set is a damn good idea. it can startt hnim out with trains and maybe itll develop into a hobby in the future.
btw...props to u for bein around for them,,,its really important for boys to have a guy in there life i woulda killed for one!! haha

mumdevoted

Banned
Jan 15, 2011
london
Hi guys, I saw this phone whilst googling child safety products...

ibaby benjisfones

I'm a child minder and wanted some new bits for the children...I really liked this because it allows parents to get in touch with there child instantly...it has a load of other features too...
I understands its technology for 3 to i don't no say 10 year olds but I guess we all must move with the times...any ways let me no what you guys think great idea or to much too soon....

x peace x

great gift i'd say