Birthday Party Consultation/Planning?...

krissyjo

Aug 16, 2011
Brentwood, TN
So I absolutely LOVE planning my kids birthday parties. We've had parties from a backyard carnival, to magic, to fairy flower garden. Personally, I'd rather have something at home rather than go to Chuck E Cheese, or a bounce place. However, what I find is that some parents aren't sure about planning a party because they don't know what to do.

This is where my idea came in - I'm kicking around the idea of starting a kids birthday party planning service. I'd have different levels of help from just sitting down and helping a mom plan the party, to going and picking up the supplies, to running the whole thing.

I'd like to get some feedback from the experts - Moms & Dads! First, do you believe this is something that there would be a demand for (in general of course. I know location specifics will vary)? Also, I just kind of threw together these ideas as far as price points, and do they seem reasonable?

Level 1 - Consultation
<I>Up to 1 hour FREE - $25 each additional half hour
</I>Gather information about your child to create custom theme
Create activities/games related to the theme
Create a decoration/supply list
Provide vendor ideas if theme includes special items (bounce house, face painter, magician, etc)
Estimate budget for supplies*
*Budget will be finalized after consultant does research on supplies after the meeting

Level 2 - Go Getter
<I>$100
Includes up to 1.5 hour free consultation ($25 each additional half hour)
</I>Errand Service - Will order/pick up supplies for the party while staying within the budget
15 FREE customized invitations based on the theme
Level 3 - Getting Started
<I>$150</I>
<I>Includes up to 1.5 hour free consultation ($25 each additional half hour)
</I>Errand Service
Help set-up/decorate on the day of the party

Level 4 - Party Time
<I>$200-300 (depending on theme and supplies needed)</I>
<I>Includes up to 2 hour free consultation
</I>Errand Service
Help set-up/decorate on the day of the party
Stay on site and run party (2 hr max)
Clean-Up after party

Not enough? Too much? Other things to offer/consider? Thanks for the feedback!

Squishy

PF Regular
Aug 13, 2011
I think if you're offering a planning service, it should be a 'Complete job': Fee based on the amount of activity provided after consultation with parents to determine their needs/wants.

There are two kinds of parents out there: Those that do everything, so won't need the type of service you're offering, and those that look for help. Those that do typically want someone who can understand their needs and just do it.

Offer the free consultation, listen to what they need, and then offer them a 'Complete' soup to nuts package, with total price.

krissyjo

Aug 16, 2011
Brentwood, TN
So basically scratch the levels and just stick with the last one with a free consultation and doing it from supply to clean up?

I like that idea and really that's what I would prefer to do. I thought maybe the levels would be easier for some people who just wanted a little help with things, but I understand what you're saying about it being an all or nothing thing for most.

Squishy

PF Regular
Aug 13, 2011
Yeah, all or nothing seems more workable for me. Unless I'm totally off with this, the parents who would be most likely to avail themselves to your services would be the one's who would be most appreciative of an 'All in one' package...which you could modify, if needed. But the last thing parents who are looking for help really want is a lot of confusing choices and alternatives.

Listen, plan, price.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
yeah the $X for y hours plus $25 is the scary part. If you enter that kind of agreemnt then you never know what you're in for. What I assume may take you and hour and you end up billing me 5 hours for is going to lead to dissatisfaction.

I agree, if you do a free consult and then present a price that's the best. If you're worried about doing too many free consultations you could haave 420 consultation with the fee applied to any contracted service. Part of your deal would presumebly be that you'd make a little margin on every piece (i.e. you develop relationships with cake makers, rental places etc.0 so that you get a better price than the off the street consumer ) and you pocket the difference.

oh, and if you could plan, hold and cleanup a party for $300 I'd strongly consider it.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
btw, I think cleanup is a big reason people don't want to have a party at home.

Before you set prices be sure you talk with an accountant about the cost of doing business (self-employment taxes, liability insurance, bonding)

jb_annap

Sep 13, 2011
I agree with the clean up comment. As a parent I want to plan and design the party, because it's part of my gift. However, nobody likes to clean up. :)

krissyjo

Aug 16, 2011
Brentwood, TN
That seems to be the consensus... I'm thinking maybe instead of a birthday party planning business, I should start looking into a birthday party clean-up business! :idea:

What would you pay for someone to come in and clean up after your child's birthday party?

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Why would anyone turn to you specifically for party cleanup when they can call any number of house cleaning companies? Not seeing a market for you that's that specific.

krissyjo

Aug 16, 2011
Brentwood, TN
True... I don't know much about cleaning companies (never used one!) so I think I may do some research into whether or not they do the short term type of thing or not.

It may be something offered as an a la carte type thing too... Hmm. Just thinking out loud.

Appreciate all the feedback!! :eek:

Debbie822

Banned
Oct 14, 2011
Hope you had a great time planning and at the party! If you are ever thinking of getting presents or something for your spouse or a relative, I hope you'll consider PopMarket! I work for Sony Music and they have this amazing website called Pop Market. We sell complete packages of albums at highly discounted prices, so I use this website myself when I need an gift for family or friends! They have full collections of legendary artists from almost every genre: Aretha Franklin, Wayne Shorter, Leonard Cohen, and Frank Sinatra to name a few! I got the complete Wayne shorter collection which was 4 great original albums plus two bonus discs all for around $50. It's especially great for gift-giving, and like I said all of these packages are deeply discounted from retail value too. Perfect for saving money. Here's a link to check it out- hope you find something you like! http://complete.popmarket.com?utm_campaign=miles