Biting...

chinnu

Mar 28, 2010
Hello
My child, three year old, is biting other kids while playing with them.
I would like to have my child stop this biting habit.
Dont know how to get it done?
Any help is highly appreciable.

Antoinette

PF Addict
Mar 2, 2010
Australia
as a child care worker i say "kids bite, its how they experiment.. just keep reminding them every time they do it and telling them it makes you sad when they bite there friends etc... "

as a mum i say " if Felix was biting i would grab his arm and say oohwah not happy Felix.. then i would sit him in the corner for 1 minute then re remind him i don't like it when he bites and let him play again.. repeat this until the behaviour stops"

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
I agree.

There are a lot of strategies that border on being mean. Bit them back, pepper on your hand ect.

I think if you stick with Antoinett method it is just as effective as any other and it sets up a good foundation for correcting unwanted behaviors in the future.

chinnu

Mar 28, 2010
Thanks for the response.
I have browsed other posts as well to look if I can find anything suitable.
http://www.parentingforums.org/f5/biting-6743.html
http://www.parentingforums.org/f5/biting-3538-2.html
I followed one of the links given in the posts but could not find much information though.
Yeah, Antoinett method is effective but I feel it would need, much patience, longer time to get the results.
bssage said:
I agree.

There are a lot of strategies that border on being mean. Bit them back, pepper on your hand ect.
Perhaps if you can suggest me more strategies that would fetch me results in a shorter span.
You know, the biting has caused much trouble with the neighbors these days.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
The best one that I think is safe and effective is what Antionette suggested.

IMHO You could if you were so inclined, deliberately create a situation where he would display the unwanted behavior in order to use the correction so he would get the point quicker.

I use this example a lot. But if you wanted to train a dog not to jump on people you would have a lot of people come around to facilitate training of him not jumping on people.

The other benefit to doing it this way is that you may become better at picking up his warning signs and avoid situations in public that stimulate this behavior.

You should know biting is a pretty common thing with little kids.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
There is no fast cure for biting, it takes time and patience 97% of all kids figure it out, only a rare few require more drastic means. Of my 8 only one required the bite back and his biting was extreem and constant.

Every little one that bites has a trigger, it's usually done out of anger/frustration and a few are just over happy. If you can catch the trigger you can intervene before the biting starts.

chinnu

Mar 28, 2010
Thanks for your advice and suggestions.Yeah, I understand that it is pretty common with children of that age.
Your support and regard for others is worth praising.