Biting...

jrrsmom

PF Fiend
Nov 10, 2007
So my kid just bit me for the first time. :arghh: Not really sure what I should have done and I'm not really sure if I want to tell you what I did do. :embarrassed:

What did you do when your kids bit?

Skyburning

PF Fiend
Oct 6, 2007
Mississippi
Not sure as I haven't dealt with this yet but with my dogs ( :biglaugh: ) when they were puppies and would bite I would pull back and yelp really loudly and say "NO biting!" So I guess with a child you could modify that and add "-it hurts Mommy" at the end, LOL

jrrsmom

PF Fiend
Nov 10, 2007
Well I did tell her that we DO NOT BITE and explained to her that it was disgusting and bad. And...I did some other stuff too. LOL

hawtmama

PF Enthusiast
Jan 13, 2008
AZ
My son bites like crazy...telling him "No Biting!" doesn't help. I haven't figured out what to do about it, because he is too young to understand what I mean. He bit the sh*t out of my thigh this morning and almost broke skin-GRRR!

hawtmama

PF Enthusiast
Jan 13, 2008
AZ
I should mention that flicking his mouth makes him mad, but doesn't make him stop...so I wouldn't try that approach :eek:

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
I hope Logan doesn't start biting. My daughter use to cuddle up like she was hugging you then bite really hard. Logan bite my toe once but that was it

jrrsmom

PF Fiend
Nov 10, 2007
Well she got ahold of my hand. Out of reaction I kind of popped her in her mouth. It wasn't hard at all. She just looked at me. I spanked her also and proceeded to let her know that biting was disgusting and we don't bite.

She's been throwing awful tantrums lately too.

ljmahr

PF Fiend
Oct 16, 2007
As I have learned, they grow out of it. My oldest and I am sure I will hear about it from someone is I bit her back. She never bit again after that though. My next 2 dd's just outgrew it. I tried everything to get them to stop and nothing worked. So when they did I would just sit them in time out and make them apologize. That didn't even work but I had to make them aware they did something wrong. My 4th dd is 22 months now and she is in the stage of biting. She bites everyone no matter what. Nothing works, I guess she will outgrow it too.

novembermommy

Feb 4, 2008
hmm this will be an interesting thread to read. My son is seven months old and I breast feed him and he has bitten me hard with his gums while feeding. This is when he is done feeding and is slowly losing interest. I yelped out loud involuntarily and that scared him and he started to cry. Did not mean to scare him, but I hope he makes the connection in his head... Will have to wait and watch how it goes. I am looking forward to reading all the suggestions that others have

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
well Nichole bit a few times while nursing and when she was little. Like 8 months or so. Maybe a little older.so if its during nursing (don't think you are anymore but... lol) they say to push baby into your breast, this makes them let go. It didn't work for us though as Nichole thought it was funny. lol

The only thing that ever worked for her was to firmly but not yell, say "No biting" and then set her down and walk away. SHe would get soooo mad and scram at me. It worked though. After doing that about 3 times she stopped doing it all together. This was after trying many things that didn't work. It was so bad at one point I was affraid to hold her cuz she would just bite down on my shoulder, leg whatever

Nikita

PF Fanatic
Jun 10, 2008
London, ON
My son would bite too when he was that age. I've never done this, but his Grandma would bit him back to show him what it was like. My husband and I would just say in a stern voice, "No biting, that hurts, mommy (or daddy depending on who he bit)" He's grown out of it now. So it does seem to be just a stage they all go through.

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
I think it's ridiculous that parents would bite their kids back to "show them how it feels." How is that doing anything but breeding violence and harsh feelings? I don't condone spanking, but I can at least understand it....biting back?...I can't even come close to fathoming how that's ok.

ljmahr

PF Fiend
Oct 16, 2007
sarushjr said:
I think it's ridiculous that parents would bite their kids back to "show them how it feels." How is that doing anything but breeding violence and harsh feelings? I don't condone spanking, but I can at least understand it....biting back?...I can't even come close to fathoming how that's ok.
Well, I did it to my oldest and it only took once. She never bit again after that. So I think it does work on some kids. I didn't bite her hard, just enough for her to know it's not nice.

jrrsmom

PF Fiend
Nov 10, 2007
sarushjr said:
I did it when she was pulling hair too. She pulled mine I pulled hers. To me it helps then understand what they are doing. I also tell her that it's not acceptable to do it.

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
I'm sorry, I just don't buy that as being a viable discipline method. It seems there are better alternatives. I guess I'm soured because my former step-son had that done to him by his father's mother, and left a welt on him. I ended up calling child services on her because it was so bad.

To each their own I guess, but I would never do that to Delaney and would never encourage another parent to take such action.

ljmahr

PF Fiend
Oct 16, 2007
Ok well if it leaves a welt then yeah I understand how you feel BUT that isn't how you do it. It isn't that hard, just hard enough they understand that it doesn't feel good.

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
ljmahr said:
Ok well if it leaves a welt then yeah I understand how you feel BUT that isn't how you do it. It isn't that hard, just hard enough they understand that it doesn't feel good.

Agree to disagree? :D

ljmahr

PF Fiend
Oct 16, 2007
sarushjr said:
Agree to disagree? :D
Yes, lol. I knew when I wrote that post that someone would disagree. But it's ok. If we all did parenting the same way everyone would be the same. To each his/her own.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I don't get the bite them back concept either. To me is is just like smacking your child and telling them no hitting at the same time.