Books?...

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
What are your favorite books - now or when you were younger? Any you tried to read but just couldn't get through even though you wanted to? Are you reading anything good now?

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I tried to read Historian and just couldn't get into it.

Other then that my fave books are the Harry Potter series, and Lord Of The Rings

mmynedshlp

PF Enthusiast
May 27, 2008
I am currently reading
the original wizard of oz volume 1 out of three.
way different than the movie.

What you can do RIGHT NOW to Help Your Child with Autism by Jonathon Levy.
The school system can not help till me fall and no doc will give a diagnosis until the school system evals. I didnt want to wait and this book (what I have read so far) has been extremely helpful.

My parenting bible ( no offense but it is based off the bible)
Parenting with Love and Logic by Cline & Fay, some very humorous people. :) You can get the book with out the bible quotes too. It still works awesome and has changed my family so much. it was a major blessing to us.
I wll be back when I pick up any others to let you know:)

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
Ari2 said:
Any you tried to read but just couldn't get through even though you wanted to?

Last of the Mohicans. Really really hard book to read.

ZionsRodeVos

PF Regular
Apr 5, 2008
Woodbridge, Virginia
I love the Dragon Riders of Pern books by Anne McCaffrey. I bought and read most of them over the past few months. I know I read a lot of them when I was a teenager too.

I'm currently reading Daggerspell but it hasn't caught my interest as well as other books and is in danger of being discarded. I wanted to try out a new author with a large series and so chose this one.

I also have a number of sci-fi books by Robert A Heinlein that I bought as a teenager and kept.

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
I don't read much now, but when I was a kid I really liked "Bridge to Terebithia", and a book that escapes me right now. It was about a boy and his 2 hunting dogs.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
I'm still making my way through Stephen King's <I>The Dark Tower</I> series... currently on book 4 <I>Wizards and Glass</I>.

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
My favorite books vary which ones I remember at the moment. :eek: But some favorites are
- Bill Bryson's "Mother Tongue": It's a fantastic, easy to read history of the English language. It talks about things like why Americans have the accent(s) we do, the basis for some weird spellings (such as the "f" and "v" variation in "wife" versus "wives"), and interesting tidbits about language (such as there are no native curse words in Japanese [I'm going to double check this with my fluent relatives, if I can find one who <I>would</I> swear if given the vocab :p]).
- F. Scott Fitzgerald's "The Great Gatsby": He's one of my favorite authors.
- Jay McInerny's "Bright Lights, Big City": I read it just as I was making a huge change in my life that was fueled by some big self-revelations.
- "Hamlet": I reread this every few years and browse through it often. The language and wordplay blow me away.
- Aristophanes' play "Lysistrata": Written around 400 BC, it still is funny and pertinent. The women are sick of the men's constant warring, so they decide to withhold all sex until they agree to stop fighting. If you have never read ancient Greek plays, I'd suggest starting with this; it's wonderful.
- "Lord of the Rings"(right there with ya, Kaytee)
There's about 100 others or more. :p

As a kid, I loved Jack London's "Call of the Wild". I wanted to read it when I was in 3rd grade, but the librarian said I was too young. So I stole it - the only act of theft in my life. I also was crazy about any book on Greek or Norse mythology. I just loved the idea that these stories about very human-acting gods were once seen in a way akin to how many now see the Bible. In 4th and 5th grade I read and reread "To Kill a Mockingbird" until I had unintentionally memorized the first 2 pages. Yep, I'm book-crazed.

Currently, I've just started Clare Clark's "The Great Stink".

The books I've tried and failed to read: James Joyce's "Ulysses", William Faulkner's "The Sound and the Fury", Milton's "Paradise Lost", and Melville's "Moby Dick". For the first two, I think I would have to either be in exactly the right mood or a bit buzzed to get past the first few pages. But I'm going to try to read Faulkner's "As I Lay Dying" this year. I'm also going to retry "Paradise Lost" this year as new editions are coming out. "Moby Dick" is still on my list, but I doubt I'll every get through it.

Jtee: When I was in 9th grade, I LOVED "The Last of the Mohicans". Since then I've tried to reread it and couldn't. At all. I must of hit it at just the right time.

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
Kaytee said:
Other then that my fave books are the Harry Potter series, and Lord Of The Rings
I tried reading the first "Harry Potter" when it originally came out, but I hated it. I'm going to give them another shot. :)

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
mmynedshlp said:
I am currently reading
the original wizard of oz volume 1 out of three.
way different than the movie.
I read the original first volume as a kid and was shocked at the difference. I'm going to reread it again in a few years to see if I'd want to read it to my kids.

When you get to volumes 2 and 3, please let me know what you think. I never got that far (I think our school library only had the first).

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
ZionsRodeVos said:
I love the Dragon Riders of Pern books by Anne McCaffrey. I bought and read most of them over the past few months. I know I read a lot of them when I was a teenager too.

I'm currently reading Daggerspell but it hasn't caught my interest as well as other books and is in danger of being discarded. I wanted to try out a new author with a large series and so chose this one.

I also have a number of sci-fi books by Robert A Heinlein that I bought as a teenager and kept.
Have you read any Neil Gaiman? He's a great fantasy writer (one of the few I like), and I enjoyed quite a bit "American Gods" and "Neverwhere".

Also, have you read "The Genocides" by Thomas Disch? It is a mind-blowing sci-fi/fantasy book written in 1965. I started it late one night and couldn't sleep until I finished it. It is one of the best books I've ever read. It also has probably the blackest humor I've ever read and is absolutely brutal on the reader. It's amazing and has nothing to do with genocide as we think of the term.

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
mmynedshlp said:
I wll be back when I pick up any others to let you know:)
Great! As you may have guessed, I'm nearly rabid about books and am always looking for something new to read when I have the time. :)

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
HappyMomma said:
I'm still making my way through Stephen King's <I>The Dark Tower</I> series

Awesome read.

I just finished a book called Snapshot. Pretty good. Kept me on the edge until the end.

I'm currently reading one called Dark Side of the Moon by J. Carson Black

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
Kalli, Amber, and other Stephen King fans: What is your favorite King book? I've only read a few and am not even sure which ones they are (I know one was "Thinner"). Any recommendations?

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
Oooh! <I>Thinner</I> was a great book!

I also loved the way <I>Cujo</I> presented the dog's side of the story. That was a book that was just impossible to translate to screen.

.:Kalli Rae:.

PF Fiend
Apr 18, 2008
Rapid City SD
The Dark Tower series is an awesome read. I really liked Cell too. I absolutely love his short stories. I am reading Nightmares and Dreamscapes and 1408.

mmynedshlp

PF Enthusiast
May 27, 2008
ZionsRodeVos said:

Anne McCaffrey is awesome her Unicorn girl series is Awesome too. :confused: I think its called Unicorna? Remembered acornia :)

I am waiting for the third book to come out in the Paolini series. They were kind of kiddish but a good read anyways. :)
I was trying to remember this series the tittle are after musical instruments I read that was real good. Grr I am mad i cant remember them. Anyways its kind of elfinish this girl can do magic with song.

As far as volume 2 &amp;3 of oz if I can ever afford to buy them i will let you know :) I would love to buy them. I know the 2nd is of oz too but I think the third is just the writers other stories. ( its the collection leather bound)
I started Alice in wonderland boy oh boy is that confusing. Oz is way better.

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
Ari2 said:
Kalli, Amber, and other Stephen King fans: What is your favorite King book? I've only read a few and am not even sure which ones they are (I know one was "Thinner"). Any recommendations?

Thinner was awesome. I also liked Firestarter, Danse Macabre, Needful Things, Geralds Game, and The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon. Ok, so I liked them all. :p