Boy suspended for bringing a "knife" to school...

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
Cub Scout utensil gets boy, 6, school suspension - TODAY People

Not only is he suspended, but they want to send him to a "reform school" for 45 days. I find this sick. Obviously, this little boy meant no harm and he was just excited to be a part of the boy scouts.

However... where were the parents in this? Why didn't they have a conversation with him like, "hey, don't take this to school". I find that part interesting, because I don't even let my daughter have a butter knife at the table, let alone take one to school!

Either way, this "zero tolerance" policy is complete garbage. Every situation is different and needs to be treated as such.

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
i agree.
this happens to be one of those grey areas. the policy does not allow for any leeway at all so kids like this little boy get caught up in the middle. the parents did screw up in making sure he knew not to take that thing to school with him, but still with something like this the school faculty and parents should have some input on how a student gets disciplined.

at the very most he needs a lecture and the parents should have to volunteer some of their time at the school to get their heads back on the right track.

one other thing, i'd suggest doing a zero-tolerance policy for the older kids and changing things up a bit for the much younger ones. going from there and making punishments more strict as the kids get older and have had a chance to really learn about what is and what isn't acceptable and the reasoning behind such punishments and policies.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
I found it stupid, and hate the zero tolerence policy, on any level, I think each action should be taken on an individual bases and that the intent behind it should be evaluated, as the little boy said on the today show when asked why he brought "I just wanted to eat with it", he's 6 and such inoccense! Parents can't think of everything, we "think" we have covered all of our bases but there is always something we miss. So I find no blame with the parents.

Reform shool...seriously....

AmyBelle

PF Fiend
Apr 20, 2008
Australia
I know its going to come into cultural difference again. But I dont believe that a 6yr old should be given a pocket knife to begin with. What the hell? Thats nuts.

Reform school is a bit extreme though, the kid is pretty much clueless on the topic. I think responsibility does lie to an extent with the parents? Why is this kid carrying it aorund with him everywhere? If he needs it for Scouts then in my view, the responsible thing to do would be to keep it somewhere safe and give it to him when he goes to Scouts, then it goes back afterwards, its not some toy/eating utensil for everyday use that he can whip out whenever he wants.

TabascoNatalie

PF Addict
Jun 1, 2009
England and somewhere else
again, so much fuss, and so much wasted time and money for a BS like that. don't those officials have more serious business to attend?

I know its going to come into cultural difference again. But I dont believe that a 6yr old should be given a pocket knife to begin with. What the hell? Thats nuts.
yeah, but isn't it enough to inform the parents that's inappropriate in school? without calling the anti-terrorist action