BPA Warning (AVENT RECALL)...

Dan

Apr 21, 2008
Im surprised there's nothing on here about the BPA product recall that's been happening here in Canada.

Canada acts against BPA chemical - CNN.com

<I>In April 2008, the </I><I>Canadian government</I>[/URL]<I> released its Draft Screening Assessment for bisphenol A, which concluded that the chemical may pose some risk to infants and proposed classifying the chemical as "'toxic' to human health and the environment.</I>
If you do not know what it is, it's a substance found in many plastics. In other words, everything from baby bottles to breast pumps. If you do not know what it is, please refer to the following link:

Bisphenol A - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Which leads me into my next point.

DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM AVENT.

Their products are laced with this deadly substance. Avent has not done a recall and knowing how toxic and harmful their products are to children, they are continuing to sell them. Would you expose your newborn to second hand smoke knowing it can cause SIDS? No, of course not. So why give them something with BPA in it?

My wife and I have since returned our products to a few of the stores that were recalling products (i.e. London Drugs, Toys R Us, Zellers). But still, the fact that Avent is doing nothing is disappoint to say in the least.

I don't know about anyone here, but I have no intention of buying products from them again.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I haven't heard anything about it. I do agree it is sad if they are doing nothing about it!!! I don't use bottles so it is not a problem for me but it is for many parents out there

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I always hated Avent. I tried an Avent bottle once, and Eli choked on the nipple and it wasn't flexible or anything. It sucked. He uses Playtex Ventaire bottles. They rock. And when he used to have a binky, it was a Maam. (I can't remember if Avent makes binkies.)

That is terrible by the way that they're not doing anything about it... I would say that maybe if it were bad enough, then they would probably be FORCED to recall it. But who am I to say. Just a thought.

Dan

Apr 21, 2008
Here's a followup. My wife found this news article just now. So Avent IS releasing a BPA free product afterall . . . the catch is that they're going to continue selling their other products as well.

Z Recommends: Avent To Launch BPA-Free Bottle

Phillip Avent, of the most aggressive defenders of the safety of polycarbonate plastic and the largest producer of baby bottles in the United States, has told Z Recommends the company will launch a BPA-free reusable bottle in summer 2008, which will be labeled as BPA-free.

Company spokesperson Shannon Jenest stated that Philips Avent had no plans to discontinue or reformulate any existing products at this time.
aggressive Defenders of Safety, eh...

absorbed

May 30, 2008
The issue isn't just AVENT, many bottle companies have BPA in their plastics, also can goods have the same chemical in the lining leaking into the food and drinks. Many plastic containers in your cupboards could be made from this product, from food containers to cups (esp sippy cups), sport bottles. The easy way to identify a dangerous plastic is looking at the bottom for the recycling number of 7.

mmynedshlp

PF Enthusiast
May 27, 2008
oooh I had it totally wrong I thought when i was reading they were saying advent had the least of the chemical out of all the bottles they tested. Yikes and here I was breathing a sigh of relief. My baby was an advent baby. it was the only breast pump comfortable and cheap enough for me to purchase. :(
oops I guess I had better check out the side affects and make sure that is not why she is showing signs of autism.
----------
Hmm nope it sounds like it would have the same side affect if you were nursing and taking birth control pills.