breastfeeding after one year of age...

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I do feel it is a personal decision to continue nursing after a year, but what are your personal opinions on it?

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
I totally think it's a personal choice...every mother should be able to choose what's right for their family, and never be made to feel bad about it, no matter how they choose to feed their child. I think these days there is way to much "I'm better then you, because I do this with my child"...That's not fair. We are all parents in the end and if your doing the best you can for your child you should never never be made to feel like you're doing something wrong. I can stand that so many mothers are made to feel like crap because they can't BF and that other mothers are treated badly because they choose to BF "to long"...whatever that means

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I would never make anyone feel bad unless I saw a two year old on a boobie. haha and then I would probably just look at them like "what are you thinking". A two year old knows what a boobie is.
I saw a 7 yr old with a pacifier in a store the other day! I didn't say anything (it's not my place) but seriously thought the family was a bit off for allowing it.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
fallon said:
I totally think it's a personal choice...every mother should be able to choose what's right for their family, and never be made to feel bad about it, no matter how they choose to feed their child. I think these days there is way to much "I'm better then you, because I do this with my child"...That's not fair. We are all parents in the end and if your doing the best you can for your child you should never never be made to feel like you're doing something wrong. I can stand that so many mothers are made to feel like crap because they can't BF and that other mothers are treated badly because they choose to BF "to long"...whatever that means
I agree, making a mother feel bad for not being able to breastfeed does not help the cause at all, it only makes them feel bad. The lack of education on the part of doctors is disturbing though

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
musicmom said:
I would never make anyone feel bad unless I saw a two year old on a boobie. haha and then I would probably just look at them like "what are you thinking". A two year old knows what a boobie is.
I saw a 7 yr old with a pacifier in a store the other day! I didn't say anything (it's not my place) but seriously thought the family was a bit off for allowing it.
hmm... don't come to my house them. I just weaned my daughter at 22 months and 2 days old!!! The World health organization recommends at least 2 years. The AAP recommends a minimum of one year.
Now 7 with a pacifier, well.......

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
Kaytee said:
I agree, making a mother feel bad for not being able to breastfeed does not help the cause at all, it only makes them feel bad. The lack of education on the part of doctors is disturbing though
absoultly...I heard some crazy crazy things...lol with my daughter the doc knew I was having a hard time...I tried and tried and she would just scream, the nurses were really helpful and they did everything they could but nothing...the doc actually said "well...no milk, oh well here's some formula" and that was it, now with Logan we called in outside help to see if there really was no milk...Actually the doc I had with him called for me, he was great but even with drugs there was no hope but at least that time I got the support I needed...he actually made sure we used up all options first, even offer to get me in touch with a milk bank but I choose to give him formula

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
and you did the best you could do for your child. That in and of itself is true good parenting decisions. You obvioulsy tried all you could at the time. So be proud

Kim

PF Fiend
Apr 3, 2007
St. Louis, MO
I totally support breastfeeding, and feel it is a personal choice to do it however long works for your family.

I personally don't think I'd do it past a year. Bottlefed bebies go off the bottle at one year, and learn to drink from a cup.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
it's not about drinking from a cup though. Heck Nichole could do that at 6 months old when we introduced the sippy. lol But yes I do feel it is personal if they go over one year as well.
One way to look at it for me though is, why is it ok to nurse my 11 month and 29 day old child, but at 12 months and 1 day, it all of a sudden is not good for them? huh? lol

Kim

PF Fiend
Apr 3, 2007
St. Louis, MO
Kaytee said:
it's not about drinking from a cup though. Heck Nichole could do that at 6 months old when we introduced the sippy. lol But yes I do feel it is personal if they go over one year as well.
One way to look at it for me though is, why is it ok to nurse my 11 month and 29 day old child, but at 12 months and 1 day, it all of a sudden is not good for them? huh? lol
Sure, babies learn to drink from a cup way before a year - and breastmilk is definitley good for them even the day after their first birthday, lol, I just think that there should be a point where you try and wean them. I guess my thing is that I am not a fan of child-led weaning, and I just picked a year because it still meets the recommendations, and it is the same age when bottlefed babies go off bottles.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
omg I hit the wrong button and everything I wrote disappeared. Probably for the better. haha.
I don't mean exactly at one year to the day silly. I meant around that time. I think if a child is walking up to a mommy and grabbing at her shirt for a boobie then it's time to wean. (even though men do this at 40)
If I am at someone's home and they choose to bf then it would be up to me to walk out or accept it. I'm saying I think it looks bad in public.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
and you did great!! I am so proud of you (not that you care) that you nursed to a year!! I do think it is a preference at that point. I never imagined I would nurse after a year, till it came. lol
I also am not a fan of child led weaning for me personally. I did wean Nichole at my limit. Which for me was 2, but it doesn't bother me in the slight of woman who do nurse past 2. Heck they are giving their children great benefits. Themselves as well!!! I personally was done. Not because I was embarressed that I nursed her to two, I can care less who though it was wrong. I was just done. I needed a bit of a break to have my breasts to myself for a few months. We want to start trying to have a 2nd in a few months and well last time my they were out of commission the entire pregnancy lol

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
If a mother wants to nurse after a year, that's completely her decision. I find it a bit tacky but it's not my business.

jenilouise

PF Addict
Oct 20, 2007
Oregon
I did child led weaning with my older three and it worked awesome. They just decided one day they didn't need it anymore and it was harder on me than on them. Hannah nursed the longest at 21 months. I am hoping Natalia makes it to 2 years.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I would have totally done child led if Nichole was on that road. We were at 22 months and she still wanted it 3-5 times a day. Of course at that point I had her down to once a day, but she still asked.

jenilouise

PF Addict
Oct 20, 2007
Oregon
Kaytee said:
I would have totally done child led if Nichole was on that road. We were at 22 months and she still wanted it 3-5 times a day. Of course at that point I had her down to once a day, but she still asked.
I remember that. It doesn't work for everyone. I had a friend who was at 36 months and her son was not about quitting.

yulia

Banned
Jan 25, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Kaytee said:
I do feel it is a personal decision to continue nursing after a year, but what are your personal opinions on it?
My son is 2.5y.o. and my daughter is 14months. They both are nursing. I personally have NO idea how kids can go through a flu' or a stomach bug without nursing! NO clue!
No matter how high my kids fever can get or how often they vomit, they are always stay very well hydrated (with lots of pee and poop going on) and in the end they don't loose ANY weight even after 48+ hours of constant puking or 5 days of high fever...

jenilouise

PF Addict
Oct 20, 2007
Oregon
Oh I know what you mean. A nasty tummy bug just ravaged my household and out of my kids the baby is the only one who didn't get dehydrated.