Bumping old post...

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Occasionally I look at the PF home page. I see a lot of older post there. I could see how someone surfing, could see something interesting and bump a thread prior to reading the rules. Maybe some automated macro for 30 day inactive post would help.

I just find it bothersome scolding a first time poster.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I don't see anything "scolding" about the things I said to that new member. I was politely notifying them. It was full of please and thank you and smiley faces. And that's what we always try to do, so that people know but aren't terribly offended.

And if anyone introduces themselves like most everybody does, the rules are the very first listing on the introductions page and cannot be missed. If they skip reading them because it seems like its not worth the trouble, then its their own fault when they wind up (accidentally or otherwise) breaking them. We don't punish people for bumping old threads on accident, and we are not mean in any way because we know lots of people make that mistake. But it is our JOB to politely notify them.

It would be AWESOME to have some kind of software that takes care of closing old threads for us, but we don't have that available to us so this is the only way that things can be done. Sorry. :(

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
I didnt mean anything bad by it. I just noticed how many old threads are on the "public" home page. It was more an observation than anything.

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Maybe you could lock a thread once it has been inactive for 30 days, unless the OP requests otherwise, such as some threads are posted in after this time when a child is ill etc.

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
The problem is there's so many old posts that it would take us FOREVER to close all the old threads. We take care of it as the need arises.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Maybe I'll get bored and try going through them all eventually hahahaha. xD