c-section VS vaginal birth...

SGC622

Mar 27, 2011
Weymouth,Ma
Its trivial, i think the people that feel they need to fight this issue saying vaginal birth is the proper way, have insecurity issues in other aspects of their life to need to make themselves feel better on an issue that should never have even brought up in the first place. I see no difference in which way a woman gives birth, they carried had all the aches and pains its just the way the baby came out. which shouldnt matter, and if you want to get technical isnt birth the time the baby is removed from the mothers body? either way you experience it.

DaddyTwoTimes

Mar 31, 2011
Both my girls were born via c-section. It is very necessary in most cases, if my oldest had not been taken out via c-section she would have been in very rough shape. It was a hard birth, in labour for nearly a full 24 hours, baby was in distress. Once born via c-section the adverse effects were immediately noticable, she looked like she just stepped out of the boxing ring and had a severe eye infection for the first 3 months of her life, all because the doctor was adamante on trying to get a vaginal birth done. Daughter's a little trooper (almost 4 now) and is solid like a rock, towers over her peers (she's a milk FIEND) and all is well.

If she had been forced to keep trying to birth vaginally, I am confident it would have killed my daughter (she was essentially being crushed by contractions)

Bob

Apr 10, 2011
My wife has had this approach for two pregnancies (and now a third on the way): try for vaginal, do not hesitate or argue if C-section is suggested.

The wonder of living in 2011 is that many birth attempts that would lead to either or both mother and baby dieing years ago is just no longer true. C-sections are there when needed - mothers who deny them against medical advice do not realize the death rates from the past for attempted births.

Incogneato

PF Fanatic
Feb 9, 2011
I agree with you also Bob. DW is really wanting a vaginal birth but is understanding of the fact that sometimes there are situations where a danger to her life or the baby's life comes up and a c-section may be required to save them. I think she understands this and has accepted it, so we feel prepared for whatever happens.

Chrissie

Apr 25, 2011
Shreveport, LA USA
My first Daughter was Emergency c-section, my following 2 deliveries had to be scheduled c-sections because the ER one was a plus sign cut not hip to hip, so it could tear during natural birth and my docs would not even let me think on an option of either or. Recovery SUX...Maternity leave for me was 8 weeks MINIMUM..and Let me tell ya, after all that additional hell on top of as sick as I was being high risk pregnancies for all 3..severly ill for 2...I would die for my babies as quckly and without thought as one who had a beautiful pregnancy and 20 minutes of contractions and was done, LOL!I would also die for my stepbabies without thought and I did not give birth to them...or carried them..or even debated over that with them..birth is birth a mothers love is from the heart and soul..and its never ending.

uhhhh.....

Apr 30, 2011
from a man's perspective (take for what it's worth)

i've been next to my wife for both vag and c-sect and hands down, the c-sect was better all around. quick, easy, no pain or exhaustion. gave us both more energy to focus on the baby rather than being totally drained by the time he showed up...

mlperryman

May 15, 2011
All 3 of my children were born by c-section. The first was an emergency, second was supposed to be scheduled c-section, but he almost came on his own so I practically begged the doctor to do the c-section early, and the third baby was 2 months early due to placental abruption, so he was a c-section too. After the first c-section, I had no desire whatsoever to have a vaginal birth. Although the recovery is harder, the delivery is much easier. And I am just as "bonded" with my children as the moms who deliver vaginally. Like someone else said, giving birth is giving birth, no matter which way you do it.

danielle101282

May 19, 2011
NC
I have had 3 c sections and my husbands cousin is always telling me how i just dont the real pain of child birth. Well Im sorry but a c section hurts, okay so maybe not the same kind but it still hurts and you still are giving birth. I went through contractions and ended up having an emergency c section with my first and with my second I elected to have a c section, because they gave me the choice. It is a good thing I did too, according to the doc I just wasn't meant to have natural child birth, she was breach and he said i would most likely had to have had a c section anyway. With my third there was no choice for me but I that was alright. My children came out of my whom and I carried them, therefore i gave birth. However I would like to point out that I do not believe giving birth makes you a mom. That takes dedication, a loving nature, and hard work.

Pasha

May 26, 2011
Oregon
All five of my darlings were brought into this world via C-section, four due to emergency. I had preeclampsia with all of my boys, dangerously high blood pressure. I have talked to mommy's who have gone through both c-sections and natural birth (absolutely no drugs) and they said the c-sections were much worse than the natural vaginal deliveries, both pain wise, and longer recovery.

Maria86

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Hi, I am doing research about stress and labor/birth experience. Please fill out the following questionnaire. Thanks!

Using the scale below as a guide, give each statement a number to indicate your agreement with it.

1 = strongly disagree
2 = disagree
3 = neutral
4 = agree
5 = strongly agree

1.) During my birthing experience I was often left uninformed and felt clueless about the status of my labor and the upcoming procedures/events.

2.) I was able to voice my personal preferences and they were considered an followed.

3.) The atmosphere surrounding me contributed positively to my experience.

4.) I was very satisfied with the birthing experience.

5.) My experience was very stressful.

6.) My experience was very personal and customized to my need

Please answer YES or NO.

7.) Did you suffer from any complications?

8.) Were interventions made?

9.) Were you hindered or inconvenienced by any rules/policies?

10.) Would you recommend this type of birth?

11.) Would you choose the same type of birth again?

12.) Was the presence of your husband or another family member allowed?

13.) Did lighting, noise, or smells irritate you?

14.) Did you have to share your room with another woman?

15.) If you had any questions, were they answered sufficiently and in a timely manner?

Please answer the following questions.

16.) What was your primary reason for deciding in favor of a home birth/hospital birth?

17.) How many people were present during birth?

18.) How soon after birth were you able to see and hold your child?

Please provide the following information for statistical purposes only. Circle which applies or fill in answers.

19.) Type of birth: Home/Hospital birth

20.) Which pregnancy was this?: First/Second/Third or additional

21.) Age group at Birth: <20/<30/<40/<50

Thank you very much for your time and cooperation!

uncle dad

Jun 7, 2011
as a man, i prefer the C section....unless she goes to brazil and gets that operation where they tighten the vagina canal. jk. but not really :)

Moira

Jun 18, 2011
I'm never going to be able to give birth, but personally I'm more in favor of vaginal birth. My Mum had me vaginally and she's never had any second thoughts about it. Sometimes it can take several months for things to go back to normal "down there", particularly if they had to cut your perineum to prevent you from tearing, but usually recovery is fairly easy and most of the pain ends when the birth does.

C-sections generally have a lot more complications, it's major surgery and they're cutting very deep into your body. It leaves you scarred, and for some women the recovery can be very long and difficult, because now you've got a baby AND a massive abdominal wound to nurse. A few of my friends had really awful recovery experiences, one of them even got a horrible infection and the stitches started breaking open and... ugh, yeah, terrible. It's the woman's choice always, but in my opinion they should be avoided when possible and only used if it's absolutely necessary for the health and well-being of mother and baby.

jessicams

PF Enthusiast
Aug 10, 2011
I had twins and my OB gives his multiple mothers the option of going right to a c-section. I just had to have my mind made up by the third trimester. After much internal debate and reading, I decided to opt for the c-section and I got quite a lot of flack for it. My hubby's uncle tried to tell him that because I opted for it, I wasn't going to be a good mother. I had multiple "friends" say I was being selfish.
I know multiple MoMs that gave birth vaginally to one twin but had to have an emergency c-section with the other. I didn't want that to happen to me.

Giving birth, no matter how it happens, isn't what makes you a parent.