Car seat expiration dates???...

NinJaBob

PF Addict
Sep 29, 2008
Ohio
I just heard that car seats have expiration dates. That all of them have the dates printed on the back and that if yours doesn't that you should get a new one and that if you are past the expiration date that you should get a new one or else your insurance company won't cover the little one in case of a crash. Is this true? I haven't looked at our seats yet.

My mom told me this. She said that a local Sheriffs deputy told her that. She gets things wrong sometimes so I don't know. :wacko:

1dayatatime

PF Addict
Oct 3, 2007
AZ
Trina will know. God I hope thats the right person. Shes a car seat technician. She knows all the ins and outs of car seats. I have never seen a date on a car seat myself.

majin_shinsa

Sep 29, 2008
Groton CT
My wife has told me about this too. Also found this on Wiki:

All child restraints have an expiration date. Most seats expire 6 years from the date of manufacture, although this can vary by manufacturer. Always obey manufacturer's instructions, because if the seat does not protect your child when the need arises, the manufacturer will not be liable if you went against its recommendations.

NinJaBob

PF Addict
Sep 29, 2008
Ohio
majin_shinsa said:
My wife has told me about this too. Also found this on Wiki:

All child restraints have an expiration date. Most seats expire 6 years from the date of manufacture, although this can vary by manufacturer. Always obey manufacturer's instructions, because if the seat does not protect your child when the need arises, the manufacturer will not be liable if you went against its recommendations.

Is the date on the car seat itself or in the owners manual.

I still haven't checked :(

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
I'm not an oracle (LOL!) but a former Child Passenger Safety Technician.

YES, car seats expire. Not all have the expiration date stamped on the back, but as mentioned above, most car seats expire 6 years after the date of manufacture, which can be found on a sticker on the back of the seat. The seat shell, straps and buckles, etc. deteriorate with age and exposure to extreme temps. Also, older seats don't have new safety and convenience features. Using an expired seat releases the manufacturer from liability should it not function as it should during a crash.

For more info and to find a car seat inspection station in your area:
Home | SeatCheck.org