Car Seat Warranty...

Samy27

Jun 11, 2008
I'm thinking of getting a 3 in 1 car seat but i've heard that the warranty expires after 6 years..even though my kid will be using it for more than 6 years. What does the warranty cover? I went to Babies r us here in California to find most of the seats had a warranty from 90 days to 1year. Trina....can u pls help!

Skyburning

PF Fiend
Oct 6, 2007
Mississippi
Samy27 said:
..even though my kid will be using it for more than 6 years. What does the warranty cover?
The reason it expires after 6 years is because the plastics used to make the carseat start to "break down" making it not as safe in a crash. I wouldn't use it for more than 6 years.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Most car seats expire 6 yrs. after the date of manufacture. This expiration date is due to possible degradation of the plastic seat shell, harness and buckles, etc. over time. Older seats also do not have new safety and convenience features. Using a car seat past that point releases the manufacturer from liability should the car seat malfunction during a crash. *I* would not use an expired car seat.

This is just one reason why I don't care for most of the 3 in 1 car seats. They typically expire long before a child is able to ride without a booster. (Kids are safest in boosters until at least 4'9" and can pass the 5 Step Test. My DS finally hit 4'9" at 11, and my DD:10 has a long way to go.) Also, I don't care for most of them in the booster mode. The shoulder belt adjuster causes the shoulder belt to be a good inch or two away from the child's body, which isn't a good fit and doesn't provide adequate crash protection.

You're much better off getting a traditional convertible car seat, preferably one that harnesses past 40 lbs., and then buying a belt positioning booster down the road when the child outgrows the car seat.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Whatever you get, be sure it has a 5 pt. harness and front harness adjuster. Not all car seats have a front harness adjuster, which I feel is a must. Without one, the harness must be adjusted from the back of the car seat, which requires taking the car seat out. Of course, this is a major PITB, so parents don't bother, which means the harness is too loose and/or doesn't fit properly. The harness should be snug and the chest clip at arm pit level.

Avoid car seats with an over head shield. They only have a 3 pt. harness, which doesn't provide as much crash protection and the child's face/head smacks against the shield during a crash or hard braking.
CPSafety - Your online child passenger safety resource

Mindy

PF Addict
Feb 20, 2008
QC, Canada
Trina said:
(Kids are safest in boosters until at least 4'9" and can pass the 5 Step Test. My DS finally hit 4'9" at 11, and my DD:10 has a long way to go.
Trina, did you son ever give you a hard time for having to be in a booster until that age? Did his friends make fun of him? I'm only asking because I know a little guy who really should be in one, he's 7, he gets really upset and his momma doesn't want people to pick on him, so she doesn't make him :(

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Mindy said:
Trina, did you son ever give you a hard time for having to be in a booster until that age? Did his friends make fun of him? I'm only asking because I know a little guy who really should be in one, he's 7, he gets really upset and his momma doesn't want people to pick on him, so she doesn't make him :(

Mindy, yes, for a short time my DS gave me grief about having to use a booster. I sat down with both kids and reviewed child passenger safety literature and video clips. I also stressed that no matter what the other kids say being alive and able to walk is much better than being crippled or dead. DS is into sports stats, so the info below really got through to him.

Taken from:
http://www.carseat.org/Boosters/630.pdf on the second page.

<LEFT>
[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]<I>Young children who are placed in vehicle belts rather than booster seats are 59% more likely</I>[/FONT]
[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]<I>to suffer devastating injuries, including severe damage to the brain, liver, spleen, and spinal</I>[/FONT]
[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]<I>cord. Most children need to use a booster seat from about age four until at least age 8-10 for</I>[/FONT]
[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]<I>maximum protection and improved comfort in the car.</I>[/FONT]​
</LEFT>

<LEFT>
[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]I asked him, "59%?? Is that a lot??" DS: "Well YES!! That's more than half!" I haven't heard another complaint from either child since then. :) [/FONT]​
</LEFT>

The 5 Step Test
Boosters Are For Big Kids

<YOUTUBE id="EEt6awA5Qp0" url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEt6awA5Qp0">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEt6awA5Qp0</YOUTUBE>

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
You're very welcome. :)

As I see it, being properly restrained in a vehicle is a safety issue. I don't let my kids play with matches or on a busy street simply because it's dangerous. For the same reason, I don't allow <I>them</I> to decide they're going to ride unrestrained or not in a booster. ;)