CDC: Tomatoes eyed in salmonella cases in 9 states...

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
Wow, we eat a lot of tomatoes, too! :(

<I>By MIKE STOBBE, AP Medical Writer Tue Jun 3, 12:14 PM ET </I>
<I>ATLANTA - An outbreak of salmonella food poisoning first linked to uncooked tomatoes has now been reported in nine states, U.S health officials said Tuesday. </I>

<I>Lab tests have confirmed 40 illnesses in Texas and New Mexico as the same type of salmonella, right down to the genetic fingerprint. An investigation by Texas and New Mexico health authorities and the Indian Health Service tied those cases to uncooked, raw, large tomatoes.</I>
<I>At least 17 people in Texas and New Mexico have been hospitalized. None have died, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.</I>
<I>Another 30 people have become sick with the same Salmonella Saintpaul infection in Arizona, Utah, Colorado, Kansas, Idaho, Illinois and Indiana. CDC investigators are looking into whether tomatoes were culprits there, too.</I>

<I>In Texas and New Mexico, raw large tomatoes — including Roma and red round tomatoes — were found to be a common factor in the 40 illnesses. But no farm, distributor or grocery chain has been identified as the main source, said Casey Barton Behravesh, a CDC epidemiologist working on the investigation.</I>
<I>"The specific type and source of tomatoes is under investigation," she said.</I>
<I>Salmonella is a bacterial infection that lives in the intestinal tracts of humans and other animals. The bacteria are usually transmitted to humans by eating foods contaminated with animal feces.</I>
<I>Most infected people suffer fever, diarrhea and abdominal cramps starting 12 to 72 hours after infection. The illness tends to last four to seven days.</I>
<I>Many people recover without treatment. However, severe infection and even death is possible. Infants, the elderly and people with weakened immune systems are at greatest risk for severe infections.</I>
<I>In Texas and New Mexico, the patients ranged in age from ages 3 to 82. Of the 40, 38 were interviewed. Most said they ate raw tomatoes from either stores or restaurants before becoming ill between April 23 and May 27.</I>
<I>Another 17 cases are under investigation in New Mexico, CDC officials said.</I>

CDC: Tomatoes eyed in salmonella cases in 9 states - Yahoo! News

ljmahr

PF Fiend
Oct 16, 2007
I am glad we don't eat them. Only 2 of my girls like them and they get the from the neighbor next door.

Mindy

PF Addict
Feb 20, 2008
QC, Canada
Strange. Didn't know tomatoes could have salmonella... It must have something to do with cross contamination...

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
Mindy said:
Strange. Didn't know tomatoes could have salmonella... It must have something to do with cross contamination...
Not necessarily. Salmonella lives in the GI tracts of many animals and birds (that's why people can get salmonella poisoning with eggs). Any type of produce can carry salmonella, unfortunately.

McD's just pulled tomatoes from its menu until the Salmonella source is found.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
We went to Taco Bueno for lunch and they had a sign saying that there will be no tomatoes on their food due to the Salmonella scare.

Good Wolf

PF Addict
Mar 11, 2008
TX
Not only are the fast food chains protecting the public but they are also saving a fortune on produce.

mmynedshlp

PF Enthusiast
May 27, 2008
Good Wolf said:
Not only are the fast food chains protecting the public but they are also saving a fortune on produce.
hopefully they just didnt get in an order in then they would but if they just got an orde there goes three boxes of tomatoes that can even make a profit. hopefully there lunch item was not BLT's :)

Good Wolf

PF Addict
Mar 11, 2008
TX
Yeah, I'm sure some of them might have lost some money. I'm just hating on 'da man' known as corporate America. They are business men and it is only natural for them to possibly see a benefit to pulling 'maters from their products.

It reminds me of a story I heard about a pickle company. They were trying to find a way to increase profits by a million dollars per year. One of them came up with the idea of taking one pickle out of each jar. That one pickle would increase profits by a million dollars per year.....they decided to take out two.

It loses a lot in print, but I think it still gets the point across.

Cthru

PF Fiend
May 11, 2008
Chicago suburbs
TMI but I was sick all last week. I'm sure due to a tomato that was on my lox bagel at brunch the weekend prior.

This is terrible timing. Summer is the best time for tomatoes! I have some growing in my garden. I hope I don't have to wait for those to ripen before I get to have another one. The spinach ordeal took a long time to settle down.

Good Wolf

PF Addict
Mar 11, 2008
TX
I agree.

Do you think the price of them is going to sky rocket once they are back on the market to make up for losses?

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
I founds some tomato safety tips:

<I>Several supermarkets and restaurants have already announced they’re voluntarily yanking several types of raw tomatoes following the salmonella outbreak.</I>

<I>So how do you know if your tomatoes are safe to eat? Here are some tips from the FDA on what to look for and how to avoid getting sick.</I>

<I>1. Know Your Tomatoes
The FDA still doesn’t know how tomatoes were tainted with salmonella. But they are telling consumers to avoid the following RAW tomotoes: Roma, Red Plum and Round Red tomatoes. However, these same tomatoes are ok, if they from certain states. You can find that
</I><I>list here</I>[/B][/URL]<I>.</I>

<I>If you want to avoid this type of detective work, cherry and grape tomatoes, tomatoes still attached to the vine and home-grown tomatoes are safe regardless of where they came from, according to the FDA.</I>

<I>2. If I wash the tomatoes, are they safe?
No. The salmonella might be inside the tomato, so washing won’t help. However, as a general food safety practice, it’s a good idea to always wash your hands with soap and warm water before you handle any food.
</I>
<I>Keep those cutting boards and counter surfaces washed too and avoid cross-contamination—especially with raw meat. Wash each tomato thoroughly under running water. Only slice it after washing, and cut away the where the stem was. Bacteria tend to accumulate there</I>

<I>3. Am I safe if I just cook them?
The FDA doesn’t recommend this. Just stay away from the affected tomatoes for now. Better safe than sorry.
</I>

<I>4. Eating out
Ask questions. Find out what steps the restaurant is taking to make keep patrons safe. Also, ask what kind of tomatoes they’re serving. If you’re really worried, just tell them to keep raw tomatoes out of your food altogether.
</I>
<I>Don’t forget they’re often used in preparation of sauces, fresh salsa, guacamole, as tortilla fillings and in other dishes.</I>

Consumer Tips: Empowering YOU to be a savvy consumer Blog Archive - Are my tomatoes safe? « - Blogs from CNN.com

Sirk

Your Forum Mom
Apr 1, 2008
Skyburning said:
Somehow I suspect this will be similar to the spinach thing and turn out to be workers pooping in the fields again.
ack!
I had heard that the water got contaminated with poo, but not that they were pooping in the fields! :arghh:

One more reason for me to be cranky I don't have the space for a veggie garden this year.

XOMLE30

PF Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2007
Toledo, ohio THe armpit of the world!
Good Wolf said:
I agree.

Do you think the price of them is going to sky rocket once they are back on the market to make up for losses?

Not sure about the tomatoes. But the rumor around the industry is that the price of lemons is going to sky rocket. Not sure why yet. We should know more about the tomatoes tomorrow. I will let you know what I hear.