chickenpox...

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
OMG, that is the nastiest case of CP I've ever seen, ...when I was a kid, CP hospitalized me but it was no where near that.

I don't think anyone has to worry about this, that is an extreme case for sure.

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
Kaykeigh has been, and after seeing that, I am very thankful for doing it, my doc. told me the new strain of CP is worse than ever, I'm glad she got the shot. She has been around CP kids, and didn't get it.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I had them when I was little and no those are not normal pics Lissa. That is a VERY severe case and I mean severe.
A few months prior to diagnosis, I had
[/URL] recovered from a bad case of the Chicken Pox over Christmas break. It seems most of the time when I'm sick it's around holidays or birthdays, some big event. I've had many stressful or disappointing experiences in my life on these days, so in retrospect it makes sense. I think the Chicken Pox is what brought on the advent of type 1 diabetes. My immune system was down and I was weak. My sister had a terrible bladder infection and was hospitalized for it prior to her own diagnosis of type 1 diabetes. Coincidence? I don't think so.
This child was bad because she had another infection.
[/URL]

These are more to the way they look in a normal face.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
Does this look like the start of chickenpox to you? He's had a low grade fever and diarreah for a few days now.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
It doesn't to me but I am not doctor.
Like mm said those are atypical cases and most if not all probably had underlying problems before. We will not vaccinate Nichole for it until she is older.

ljmahr

PF Fiend
Oct 16, 2007
Heck I am paranoid after seeing those pics! But all of my girls' have gotten the vax. Like Kaytee said, I am no doctor but that doesn't look like cp to me either. My dd gets spots like that all the time on her cheeks. I think cp starts in a warmer place, like belly or back, not sure though.

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
Lissa said:
This picture kind of scares me.
these pics aren't typical are they? :confused:
I don't think they are typical, Lissa. CP in young kids is usually mild. But it is important to know that it <I>can</I> get that bad, although it is very rare in young kids.

The rash usually starts as small, red bumps on the head, trunk, and the upper parts of the arms and legs. Within a day, these change to blister-like or pimple-like things. The phrase that is always used is "a drop of dew on a rose petal" (ya, it's weird), which means it is a clear, teardrop-shaped blister on a red background. And one of the hallmarks of CP is that you soon have these sores in all different stages at once, so you get new sores like the clear teardrop on the body as the old ones crust over (a lot of other infections just get one wave of sores so they are all in the same stage at once). The sores are, of course, very itchy.

If Oliver's bump didn't progress within a day, it is almost certainly not CP. But you should take him in if you are still worried. :)

Cthru

PF Fiend
May 11, 2008
Chicago suburbs
oh my god.. those pictures are HORRIBLE!!

I don't think that looks like pox to me on yours though. They start on butt and stomach first too.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Lissa, how many of those bumps does he have? Where are they at on his body? You will know because they turn into what looks like a pimple. Do not pop them. If he does have the beginning they will be scattered threw out his entire body. He will even get them on his tongue.

If he only has a few of those bumps then he may have been bitten by a sand flea, knat (sp), fly, or some other small bug. If that is the case, they sell a benedryl liquid that is like a pen and you can dab his boo boo's with that.
If you do not have that then you can dab a touch of bleach on it. Bleach will also take away the sting of a bee or wasp.
Hope that helps.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
It's flat now so I doubt it's chickenpox and no other bumps have appeared. He still has diarreah though.